Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #61)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have a number of recordings by Banchini, though none by Beyer. I have noticed the Bach Sonatas & Partittas by Beyer to be well received ...

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

Yeah, I have noticed Robin really listens to his LP collection and it is time for me to re-visit mine after almost a quarter of a century not having played my collection ...

bluemooze likes this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have that. I've found the Banchini/Beyer/Freiburger/Zig-Zag/whatever crew to be very enjoyable. I like the way they perform and I love the sound quality of the recordings.

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Robin has also been adding to his record collection as of late. Mind you, until about a year or two ago, my turntable was not properly set-up. Now that it is, finding abandoned treasures is my primary mode of record collection, like yesterday's $1 Claudio Arrau Schumann LP.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. coopmv

I have to think it over about getting this twofer since I already have many versions of the Bach Partitas on both modern and baroque violins. Between Henryk Szeryng, Arthur Grumiaux, Rachel Podger and Julia Fischer, it is pretty hard to find another violinist that can do better ...

bluemooze likes this.
  6. coopmv

You also have quite a sophisticated turntable. While my DUAL CS-750 is a decent turntable, it is definitely not in the same league as yours. I have come to appreciate the warmth and intimacy LP's have to offer lately. For some reason, the records are sounding a whole lot quieter to my ears these days compared with my experience from many moons ago. I can think of only two explanations: 1) My hearing is no longer as sharp as it was. 2) My sound system is a whole lot better than the one I used quarter of a century ago; the amp alone now costs more than the entire system I used to have - LOL. Perhaps the real reason is somewhere between the two ...

TeacFan and bluemooze like this.
  7. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Chopin collection. I did not realize I actually have quite a few Chopin LP recordings by Malcuzynski, which are actually quite nice - good virtuosic playing and nice piano tone ...

[​IMG]

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, I know I read that tale somewhere, maybe more than once, but I don't remember exactly where other than that I'm pretty sure it was in a record review; for all I know, it falls into the category of "remember, if it weren't true, they couldn't put it on the Internet." That said, here's a site that makes reference to the alcohol end of things, which is in keeping with other mentions that I know I've seen. This one includes a brief video of M. playing, which may be of interest in its own right. Incidentally, let me hasten to add that I have admired his playing from the first note of it I ever heard, on one or another 78 years and years and years back. Early or late, his recordings always draw my immediate attention.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/stephenhough/100050181/romantic-in-soul-if-not-in-body/

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, he is one of my favorite pianists. I am grateful to Ward Marston for transferring 13 CDs worth of his recordings for Naxos.

10. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

12. George P

13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Simply beautiful playing, music, and sound.

[​IMG]

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Afraid so...

15. George P

One of my favorite Bach CDs! Carmignola is a God!

16. coopmv

It looks like at least three of us have this CD ... :righton::agree:

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I didn't know that this had been released--thanks for bringing it to our attention. Do you listen in stereo or multi-channel?

18. coopmv

I attended an all Vivaldi program performed by I Solisti Veneti conducted by Claudio Scimone with Carmignola at the first violin at the Mostly Mozart Festival held in the Lincoln Center in early 2000's. He is a superb violinist ...

19. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Beethoven collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Drag your Thorens 126MK III out of the closet, that's plenty sophisticated. What a 'more sophisticated' 'table brings is usually better speed stability along with lower perceived background noise. Also, your phono pre is probably better than what you used to use. If the Thorens needs work, send it to Vinyl Nirvana, he'll get it up and running in no time.

John S likes this.
  21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Strictly stereo for me.

22. coopmv

You have good company here. I listen to all my surround SACD's in two channel mode since I do not have a surround setup ...

23. coopmv

Many of the recordings in my LP collection have been played only once since I bought them between the mid 70's and mid 80's. I taped my favorites on either open-reels or cassettes so I could maintain those LP's in pristine condition. Digitization of those LP's whose CD version I do not have will be a long road ahead ...

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've converted to stereo except for pipe organ music, which I play on my Oppo.

25. coopmv

One obvious shortcoming of the LP era is the lack of recording date information. I cannot find any on the LP jacket and there is no insert either. The program description is on the other side of the LP jacket. From the catalog number, I know this LP was released in the 70's and that is about is ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.