Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #61)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I already have Universal's box with Richter's solo recordings for Decca, Philips and DG. Any idea what the bigger box will have apart from the solo work?

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Many of the Decca and the Philips recordings were already released in the 22CD (11 x 2CD each) Master series - and the DG recordings were already released in the 9CD box below. So that still leaves 20 CDs missing that will come out in the new box. I bet I already have a lot of those, too. Ugh! The Master sets already cost me $18.99 each.

[​IMG]

4. George P

How many discs in your box? And how cruel of universal to release the one you got ahead of the complete one.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

6. George P

So the difference is the concerto and chamber recordings for Decca, DG and Philips. Some great stuff in there, the DG Rach 2, the Philips Liszt concertos. . .

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I do have some of that; it does look tempting though, but its price could be a stumbling block. The upcoming Richter RCA etc. box will apparently be a lot cheaper. Hmmm...

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I know that Bernstein/VPO is OTT. I love it anyway, maybe even because:

[​IMG]

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

So, George, how are you doing with the Lili Kraus set? I've been spending some quality time with one of her teachers, Artur Schnabel--I'm finally getting around to copying and editing his Beethoven Society sets.

Yeah, I know, with all those commercial reissues out there, I'm guilty of reinventing the wheel....

Robin L likes this.
  10. George P

The Lili Kraus set has a lot of extraneous noises, the kind of stuff I never heard before on a recording. It's on the tapes, though, for the noises are on other releases of the same performances.

The performances themselves are wonderful of course, brimming with life and energy. Packaging is strong and well documented.

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just curious: which are the ones with the odd noises, and where do the noises occur?

12. George P

I am only 10 discs in, but the 1954 Mozart sonata records have a lot of odd clicking sounds.

13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "la bele marie - Songs to the Virgin from 13th-century France" by Anonymous 4 on Harmonia Mundi.

First CD of the day with my morning coffee is always Anonymous 4. :)

[​IMG]

14. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

OTT?

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

"Over The Top", probably

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Correct—really stretched out, exaggerated, emotionally inflated, u.s.w. Also powerful, personal and sui generis.

J.A.W. likes this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Lux Feminae 900-1600" by Montserrat Figueras on Alia Vox Spain.

I love this kind of music/performance/mix. The reverb/delay adds much to my enjoyment - it creates the space.

[​IMG]

Robin L likes this.
  18. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Yap, that was Bernstein and this is why we all love him (though sometimes it's too much of a good thing).

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Please do not speak for me.

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Zavateri - Concerti Da Chiesa E Da Camera" performed by the Freiburger Barockorchester directed by Gottfried Von Der Goltz from the "Freiburger Barockorchester Edition" on DHM.

These DHM box sets (all labels really; we are in the midst of box set heaven) are a godsend to folks like me who never obtained the original issues of all these musical groups/performers. Also very useful in discovering composers who are new to me.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, PH416156 and dajokr like this.
  21. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I posted this on Friday but didn't see any replies so I'm going to try again. I'm probably going to order this in a few days but I'd appreciate any comments, positive or negative, from any of you that have it. Thanks.

I need some advice. I'm thinking about getting the big 50 disc "Decca Analogue" box set. From what I gather it contains older recordings (middle 50's to early 80's, I guess) which I think I would enjoy. I did a search here but found only a few passing comments about the contents and no detailed info. I know with 61 threads what I want to know is probably there and I just can't find it. Can any of you who have it post a few comments about the quality of the sound, the selections in the set or anything else about it? It will take me a long time to dig through that much music but I'm really wanting to have this to listen to as the cold winter nights set in.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts about this huge box of music.

heman__ likes this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

http://www.deccaclassics.com/en/cat/4785437

I don't have it, so I can't comment. Maybe the link above will give you some idea.

23. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thanks for the link but I can't get it to open. I get the full home page and then can't go anywhere. When I close it all tabs also close. Not had that happen in a long time.

Anybody here have this set?

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Works fine for me. Have you tried it with a different browser?

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Absolutely incorrect my friend. :)

Performing a search will pull up everything. Also, search the internet, with Google let's say, and you'll find even more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.