Bob Dylan SACD on MFSL: What's Next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Rhett Thomas, Oct 20, 2014.

1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident Thread Starter

I couldn't find the old thread(s) in a search, but honestly those got so convoluted that I never really knew which end was up on the subject of what's in the pipeline for Bob Dylan SACDs from MFSL. If a Gort wants to fold this into an older thread, please feel free with my apologies.

So far, MFSL has released the following Dylan titles on SACD:

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Blonde on Blonde
    Blood on the Tracks
    The Basement Tapes
    Desire

These seemed to be coming out at a good clip but Desire in November 2013 was the last one to hit the market.

I thought I recall Before the Flood, The Times They Are A-Changin', and the first self-titled LP "coming soon", but maybe I have some or all of that wrong.

Any discussion about this?

George P likes this.
  2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Desire was a great MFSL flavoured slice o'Bob. Thoroughly recommended.

Someone badly needs to do a remix of Time Out Of Mindm to De-Lanois it. But I guess MoFi don't have that kind of leverage.

Wipin Dsser likes this.
  3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  4. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I think I read somewhere that New Morning would be the next SACD? I don't know if that is legit info, wishful thinking, an assumption based on the the fact that the MFSL New Morning LP was released? Is New Morning the only album Dylan with the MFSL LP available, but the SACD is not?

art likes this.
  5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

No. Highway 61 is out on LP.

JRM likes this.
  6. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Right. That list has been out, with TBA as release date, for as long as I can remember. If those were to come out it would bring all of Bob's album catalogue onto MFSL through at Desire. But are we looking at vaporware here? Like I said in the first post, it's been almost a year since the last one.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

BEFORE THE FLOOD is available as a MFSL double LP set.

I think I read NEW MORNING and BEFORE THE FLOOD were slated to be released on SACDs next from Mobile Fidelity ...

JRM likes this.
  8. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

A year is nothing. CTA and KOB have been advertised for much longer. Who knows.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Wish they'd tackle more recent Dylan. Most of these titles have been done a million times already.

razorball and Mr. H like this.
  10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Yes audiophile masterings of any of his latest would be most welcomed.

razorball likes this.
  11. walrus

I'm sure these MFSL LP's sound fine, but original pressings aren't hard to find for most of these titles except for maybe New Morning. Would love to see them tackle Oh Mercy or Time Out Of Mind. They'd probably sell a lot more, too.

razorball and Mr. H like this.
  12. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be nice if MFSL could release brand new product at the same time that the artist regular label also releases it. That way if you wanted to spluge on the SACD you then wouldn't have to buy the cd issue. This goes for Bob Dylan or anybody else.

13. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

What a strange thought, why would you even think about touching this record and messing up with the sound of it! How insulting.

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Why? Because it sounds sh*it.

dalem5467 and culabula like this.
  15. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

No comment. Xcept maybe your comments sound **** to me!

SteveM and jsnruf like this.
  16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

18. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Say there, BB, what did you think of the remix of Love Sick a few years back? I liked what they did..............

P.S. Since you mentioned it, I'd like a full immersion set of TOOM, 8 CDs, concurrent live tracks, remixes, DVDs, guitar picks, everything.

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

I like what they did with it - it shows there is another album in there waiting to get out. I daresay it has already been done and will be released one day. 2017, the 20th anniversary, maybe?

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

They can start with new albums by the very old and dead artists in their catalog.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Music Direct is shipping the SACD of New Morning. I received my copy last night. As I was out last night and went out again this morning, I got as far as putting the disc and booklet in a jewel case. I'll give it a listen over the weekend.

Although I have a lot of Dylan, this may be my first copy of this album. Perhaps I picked up the remastered CD along the way.

23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Who mastered the MFSL New Morning SACD?

24. walrus

I love the sound of TOOM (not necessarily the mastering). But I love just about anything Lanois produces. I wouldn't want all of Bob's albums to sound that way, but I think Lanois made two LP's with Dylan that really stand out amongst the rest, which is saying a lot when you're talking about someone who has 35 studio albums.

25. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

+1

I even bought Daniel Lanois' solo album because I liked that sound so much.