The Affair -- new show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by norman_frappe, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I watched the first episode of this show because it was free and I had an hour to kill this morning. The first half of the show was told from the man's perspective the second half of the show was told from the woman's. I have no idea where it's going but it was pretty interesting. Anyone else watch it or know anything about it?

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I watched it, but don't know any more than what you just said. It does have my attention & I will keep watching. The second episode should be available now on demand (it aired last night).

norman_frappe likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I tried watching the first episode but gave up about 3/4 through. I thought the writing was poor and implausible. I do like Maura Tierney though!

sberger, Deesky and norman_frappe like this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I watched the first episode and I liked it more than I thought I would. So far, they have a Rashoman thing going on, with the same events told through multiple eyes. I thought it was interesting and well done. I'm in for more...

5. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I also enjoyed the first episode.
    I taped last night's episode, will watch it tonight.

6. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree I really enjoyed it could be because it was free though! I thought it was an interesting concept and decent acting. Who knows it might not go anywhere but if I had showtime I would watch another episode.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ruth Wilson. Maura Tierney. That's enough for me to watch! I watched the first episode and I'll watch the seocnd soon.

8. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

So far so good. Interested to see where it's going.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So who do you guys think was killed?

Bruce Butler (the rich father in law)
    Cole Lockhard (Joshua Jackson's character)
    Scotty Lockhart (the brother from the ranch, flirting with the young girl, Whitney)
    Caleb (owner of The Lobser Roll)

That last was the only other guy I could think of who they've given any hint of people disliking so far. I think its most likely Bruce Butler or Scotty Lockhart. Alison seems way too calm for the deceased to be her husband. There's also the guy Alison took the fish to, that she scolded for not keeping a door locked at the train station, but we don't really know enough about him yet.

Never heard of Ruth Wilson before, but she's doing a pretty good job.

trip1 and norman_frappe like this.
  10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I've watched the first two episodes but I don't think we have enough clues to guess who gets (got) killed.

Are you sure it was the fish she took that guy? I'm thinking the fish in the cooler are just a ruse and that there's something else in the cooler besides fish. We'll see.

11. agentalbert

Good point. That would also explain why its important to keep that door locked.

Hawkeye likes this.
  12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

She played Alice in the Idris Elba series Luther :love:

13. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I just watched ep.2 tonight. I'm hooked, gotta see where this goes.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I wasn't going to watch this, but I really like Maura Tierney and hadn't seen since ER, so I gave it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. I really like the parallel narrative structure, not only because it brings differing takes on overlapping scenes, but also because it fills in the character blanks when the two main characters are apart. So far it feels like a well constructed plot and look I forward to the next episode.

Also Ruth Wilson reminds me a lot of Michelle Monaghan (if not quite as cute). But good performances all around.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

love it.

excellent acting and plot line so far.

looking forward to all 10 weeks.

i kind of like this new TV trend to do these 10 - 12 stories and they are done. as opposed to the long haul story lines that looose direction after a year or two (lost, for example)

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I assumed it was drugs in the fish...it appears that they have money troubles. But it could very well be something less obvious than that.

norman_frappe and Hawkeye like this.
  17. four sticks

At the very end did Alison indicate to the detective she was heading back to the city? Did I hear that correctly? If so could be a major twist as thus far Alison is a local.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

She certainly looks less "small town" in the scenes with the detective. Noah lives in the city...

19. four sticks

Can't wait for episode 3.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

thats what she said.

21. agentalbert

I thought the same thing. Never seen Ruth before this. She's pretty, though there is something weird about her teeth. Are they unnaturally short? I don't know.

22. Lonson

Michelle is cute. Ruth is SEXY. :)

23. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

She has teeth??

24. agentalbert

Yeah, I agree. This woman definitely has the sex appeal. You can completely see how the main guy would become infatuated with her. But there is a similarity in their faces that reminded me of Michelle Monaghan. And as Deesky saw the same thing, it's not just me.

25. Lonson

Oh I see a bit of similarity too. But I respond to Ruth a lot more!

You should check out Luther. Ruth Wilson knocked my socks off in that show. She's quite an actress.

Though they are top notch performers, I want to know. . . why two British actors in two of the top four roles? An American and a Canadian round out the lot. West hardly even hides his accent, maybe he's supposed to be a transplanted Brit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.