The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I believe they do. I just had a problem with the FLAC download, and it may have been on my end.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I'm a bit confused..are the "Digital Albums" available at the Church Store FLAC? There is no place where they indicate what format. They do not provide
    a way to make a choice. I put the new album in my cart, and still nothing came up about format.

3. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

^ That's ChurchMerch for ya. But I went ahead and ordered it anyway. What the hell. I just only hope they don't do a wienie pack job. 'Tis a long way for a football to travel.

4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm not 100% sure, but when I bought the Kilbey solo albums as downloads you could choose the file type; FLAC, mp3, etc. I think that was done after the purchase, but you could probably confirm in an email to them before you pull the trigger.

But... as I said before, the FLAC files didn't work so I ended up going back in and dl'ing mp3. It seemed like I could have downloaded each format if I wanted to.

5. ServingTheMusic

Ok thanks. I will try and email them.

If the FLAC files were corrupt, why did you not alert them..or did you?

6. ServingTheMusic

There is no way to contact them. There is only a contact form to join the "Church Army."

7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I have that box, love it!

8. ServingTheMusic

Man, there is a LOT of Kilbey solo and collaboration stuff on bandcamp.

9. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Welcome to my world. :D
    My point being that most of my vinyl comes from overseas, am used to paying exorbitant shipping prices and dealing with dodgy packaging.
    It's refreshing for a change to order locally.
    And for what it's worth, I was charged $13 postage for the album.

10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

He was Robert Pollard before Robert Pollard was.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  11. ServingTheMusic

Yeh..and I checked a lot of it out...my wallet will be lighter tonight.

I have most of it but a few things slipped through like The Idyllist, and Garage Sutra.

12. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Showcase still exists but they stopped booking original acts some time ago in favor of corporate functions and cover bands. It's a drag; that was a nice room.

I talked to Marty at the Tupelo Music Hall in 2008 (a solo gig with very low attendance) and he told me that the issue with the band playing Boston was down to whoever handles such things in the area not thinking that they had a draw. Weird. I've seen them a few times at the Paradise and it was decently full, but not packed.

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I did. They were apologetic, but said they checked it out and their IT people said there wasn't a problem. I was using a simple FLAC conversion program that I downloaded when I joined Dimeadozen and I'd never had any problems with bit-torrent FLAC downloads from that site, and I did dozens - I uploaded 12 or 15 live recordings on Dimeadozen too. I've also downloaded FLAC files for bonus tracks and digital versions of vinyl-only releases.

I'm not on-line these days (taking a break from computer-music activities since our computer crashed 15-months ago) so I can't tell you exactly what program I was using, but it was dead simple and always worked except for those two Steve Kilbey solo albums. And it wasn't all the tracks; about half of them decoded and the other half were data soup. I downloaded each of the albums twice too... I had open access after paying. The 320-bit mp3's sounded fine and I left it at that.

14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Those are the two albums I had problems downloading as FLAC.

15. It is. Several songs are even better.

16. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

Yep, as often as not we pay as much for postage as the item itself and then there is a high rate of warpage and subsequent returns hassle. These guys in the US complaining about prices all the time don't know how lucky they are :shrug:

17. ServingTheMusic

Hmmm. ok.

18. ServingTheMusic

Ok, thanks for that detail. I wonder if it was some weird bug.

I have bought a lot of FLAC from bandcamp but have never actually burned CDs or converted to other formats except occasionally mp3/aac for the car or phone

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Took Psychedelic Symphony on my iPhone for a walk this evening. Some of the versions work better for me than others, but I've yet to hear a version of "Grind" that doesn't blow me away!

20. ServingTheMusic

FYI..you can buy FLACS from the Church Store. It gives you a choice of 320 mp3 or FLAC after you pay..

I emailed Waterfront Records and I received a prompt reply. Just downloaded the new album....can't wait to load it on the server
    and hear it in the car.

AlienRendel and JeffMo like this.
  21. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I'm going to see the band tonight, and really look forward to hear them play the new album in it's entirety.

And hopefully a few other tunes too. Fingers crossed. :)

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Nice! Be sure to write up a review and let us know what other gems they pull out for the setlist.

23. moops

moops Senior Member

Good recent interview if you have an hour ......

24. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I attended the Brisbane gig last night, and it was a fantastic night. Steve Kilbey stated up front at start of show that they would only be playing the new album, and besides coming out to play Don"t Look Back (from Blurred Crusade) as an encore, that's exactly what happened.

I didn't care, it was an excellent gig, and the new album comes across great live. Ian Haug had plenty of opportunities to show his wares, and he's a great addition to the band, in my opinion.

Hard to pick a highlight, but for me Toy Head, Let Us Go, and Miami stood out.

Set list: (I removed one from the stage as I was exiting the gig) :D

Toy Head
    Delirious
    Volcano
    Pride Before A Fall
    Vanishing Man
    Laurel Canyon
    Love Philtre
    Globe
    Old Coast Road
    Lightning White
    Let Us Go