Gotham-Batman Prequel Series on Fox, Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

The LOST pilot was amazing, and probably the best episode(s) of the series.

robertawillisjr and Lonson like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, the best episode was "Constant," the one which finally explains the time-travel scenarios of the show through Desmond. An amazing episode that explains quite a bit:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Constant

musicalbeds likes this.
  3. Great opening episode. Lots of potential. Well acted directed and shot.

DesertChaos and blind_melon1 like this.
  4. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

So.....there were no superheros and no supervillains around when Batman was a kid? They all grew up at the same time? Then all of a sudden the world was filled with superheros and supervillains all approximately the same age?

5. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

For your consideration of best first episode...

The Shield

6. Yes, have you seen any super heroes in your town ?

7. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

It's simple. The "villains" were criminals/law breakers before Batman came on the scene. Batman then comes on the scene with this outrageous persona and the criminals follow suit by adopting personas. I'm assuming the criminals/"villains" are all being shown at various ages. Think of how old the villains are compared to each other in their adopted persona.

musicalbeds and Mazzy like this.
  8. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Easily the most dramatic eating of a sandwich ever captured on film...

Mazzy likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

:laughup:

Tex_Writer likes this.
  10. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

Tonight's premise is cat woman. Let's hope it's just as good as the pilot.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well, the very young woman playing Selina Kyle is very charismatic. . . I'll bet it's a good episode.

12. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

I really like this show. Great episode.

13. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

They're 2 for 2 in my book. I like how they're mixing in a case of the week with larger story arcs. Good stuff so far.

xdawg likes this.
  14. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I hope they don't tie their death into something bigger...the randomness of their killing is one of the best things about his mythos, imo.....tying it to something else cancels that out.

Interesting episode of Gotham last night. For sure they referenced Gordon's future wife, Sarah Essen at one point.
    Barbara Gordon is his first wife, and they either have, or adopt a niece, who is Barbara Batgirl Gordon. In the comics, it's his daughter and then later his niece...DC comics never had great continuity.
    After Barbara his wife leaves him...because of an affair with Sarah in one version...he raises his daughter/niece alone and she becomes Batgirl. Later on in the comics, he marries Sarah Essen. There's more, but you can look that up so I don't spoil it for those unfamiliar with her.

In the preview of next week's episode, I saw a reference to "CHILL" ...perhaps on a poster, but I know I saw it written somewhere...and Joe Chill is the killer of the Waynes in most stories...some don't mention him by name...so it appears next week we'll meet the Wayne's murderer.
    Fwiw, the only story to name the Joker as their killer is the first Keaton Batman movie...other than that, the Joker has never been part of the mythos that created Batman.
    Lastly, Alan Moore wrote The Killing Joke, a great Batman story that became part of the continuity after Batgirl was beaten and left paralyzed by the Joker....in later comics she then becomes the wheelchair bound heroine named Oracle, advising the Bat-heros using a computer that could rival anything in NASA.
    But I digress; in the same story, the Joker's origin is told in a vague way, showing him as a failed comedian before he goes crazy.
    In the first Gotham episode, we see a comedian who looks suspiciously like Alan Moore's drawing of that comedian...so it's possible we'll see the origin of the Joker at one point.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

I kind of like the visual style of the show, but that's about all.

16. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

It would appear that the Penguin is much older than Bruce Wayne. It also seems Fish Mooney will be a supervillian. She's older than Bruce Wayne.

17. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

Lili Taylor was a nice surprise last night. Glad I didn't see the credits online yesterday ahead of the episode.

18. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I watched episode 1 last night and episode 2 tonight and I'm hooked! I don't regularly watch a lot of TV shows (maybe 5 or 6), but Gotham works for me.

19. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I think I'm hooked. Depends on the next few episodes.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Liza. . . she looked better with that black hair. Falcone is going to fall hard.

applecakes likes this.
  21. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Indeed they did, by the first episode.

I know it got talked about a little bit futher up, but the explanation they always offer in the source material is that super villans were a "response" to the heroes that started cropping up.

I really, really wanted to like tis show, but I just couldn't get into it. It felt like they spent all their energy being dark and foreboding and wagging a finger in everyone's face while saying "HEY- THIS GUY BECOMES THE PENGUIN! THSI IS CATWOMAN! HERE'S YOUNG BRUCE WAYNE AND COMMISIONER GORDON TOGETHER???? THAT'S COOL, RIGHT? LOOK HOW AGGRESSIVE ALFRED IS!" It all feels really forced, when I'd have much preferred the story of a city in decay and the people inhabiting it- which this makes only a thinly veiled attempt at pretending to be.

Your mileage may vary.

Also, am I the only person who kept waiting for Leslie Thompkins to show up?

Hawklord likes this.
  22. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

The difference is, many of Batman's rouge's gallery were active criminals prior to his coming onto the scene. They just adopted their colorful personas once Batman came on the scene for a variety of reasons. They were active during the time frame we're seeing them. Clark Kent hooking up with Lois Lane while still in Smallville? Should not have ever happened.

Hawklord likes this.
  23. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

24. I actually love it. Like how the characters are developing.

25. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's actually quite good.

Looks like the naysayers should have waited to see it first, before spouting off! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.