Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Yes, he was kind of here and gone, hope he does return. I think you analyzed his comments quite well, though, and his info probably did pre-date the Hudson-Haust collaboration.

2. HominyRhodes

You're on top of it, nice work. The Mary Lou sample is so tantalizing, isn't it? Do I hear cowbell?

fallbreaks likes this.
  3. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

I was pretty sure Heylin mentioned this, too, though I'm not seeing it in the Recording Sessions book...in fact he says something like "bootlegs covering 100 or so of the approximately 150 songs recorded" and also talks about debunking the myth of there being 100's of hours more stuff....

Ah, but in Revolution in the Air (p. 392 under Wild Wolf etc) he says"there are more reels - at least another nine" and goes on to discuss copyrighted but unbooted material...sigh.

So the "nine reels" concept has at least Heylin to back it up - of course, we don't know why he says this, nor why mbd77 is so certain that reels exist even if Dylan Inc. doesn't know they have them. Could be that Heylin and mbd77 got this from the same source and that, as above, it's just a mistake and 6 of those 9 reels aren't Bob and the Band at all...

Perhaps the notes to the complete set will clear some of this up.

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That seems correct. Thanks for pointing that out. Arnie

5. amonmarktalk

amonmarktalk Well-Known Member

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Hmmn, that's a very different 'mood' to my ears on first listen. The verse lyrics sound more like commands and the tone therein lends itself, imo, to sit in the category, absurdly so I guess, of one of Bob's 'put-down' songs? Didn't much enjoy listening to it, though it's an alternate approach and lyrics to the song included on the BT and GHII. Perhaps got me thinking of the song in its previously officially released versions in a different way.

7. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

8. dee

dee Senior Member

HominyRhodes and George P like this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Nice track. Almost sounds like everyone is singing backing vocals, some off mike, some in a mike.

10. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

"I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!!!"

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

No, I think it did sell 40,000 copies, but each copy sold counts as four to get to platinum. That is: 250,000 copies = 1,000,000 "units" = platinum status.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  12. amonmarktalk

13. George P

George P Notable Member

HominyRhodes likes this.
  14. HominyRhodes

All right, they're finally rolling more tapes! 900 Miles -- is that great or what:doh:

(And now I think I know where Bob got the melody for the song John Wesley Harding)

Mike D'Aversa, dee and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. HominyRhodes

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, we seem to be pretty close to that "approximately 150 songs recorded," between the 138 officially on the set and the 1 or 2 song (depending how you look at it) bonus track. Add the "4 or five things that just sound like distortion" and you get up to 145 or so songs accounted for. Since we have no idea how precise the 150 figure is, this set may (or may not) have almost everything.

On the subject of "Revolution in the Air," there is an interesting update that he added to the tail end of the intro that's easy to miss:

“Since the completion of this volume, Tim Dunn has updated The Bob Dylan Copyright Files 1962–2007. In this rather weighty update are a series of song titles, copyrighted en masse when transferred from Grossman’s estate to Dylan’s publishing company, in 1988. Credited to Dwarf Music, the long list (some ninety songs) appears to include some previously unknown basement-tape compositions. Aside from "Dress It Up, Better Have It All" and "You Own a Racehorse," it seems there were three other related titles reassigned at this juncture: "What’s It Gonna Be When It Comes Up?," "My Woman She’s A-Leavin’," and "Mary Lou, I Love You Too." A separate reassignment has a song called "Baby Lou," which one suspects is simply the previous song under another name. Further information (and maybe even a tape or two) shall hopefully emerge in the fullness of time.”

I find it intriguing that the batch of songs he mentioned are all clustered together on disc 5:

7. "My Woman She's A-Leavin'"
    8. "Santa-Fe"
    9. "Mary Lou, I Love You Too"
    10. "Dress it up, Better Have it All"
    11. "Minstrel Boy"
    12. "Silent Weekend"
    13. "What's it Gonna be When it Comes Up"

...With the pesky exception of "You Own A Racehorse." What happened to it? Clearly Dylan's folks had a copy of it in '88 when they registered all the other songs (My understanding is you need a recorded copy or sheet music to register, and it makes very little sense for them to have sheet music available in this circumstance if a recording wasn't available). And if it was one of those tracks was too distorted to make sense of, hard to see how that would have served the copyright purpose, either. Maybe.

"Baby Lou" is a bit of a mystery, too. It shares a name with a song The Band released on A Musical History, but there isn't an obvious reason for Dylan to copyright that song. Maybe Heylin's right and the phrase"Baby Lou" will pop up in "Mary Lou, I Love You Too."

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Garth had this to say about the track:

“There may still be some things in there. There’s one by Bob called ‘Can I Get a Racehorse?’ He thought I had it and I thought he had it. It’s there somewhere.”

Thelonious_Cube and HominyRhodes like this.
  18. HominyRhodes

I feel like cub reporter Jimmy Olson with the Daily Planet -- "Gee, tell us more, Mr. Kent!"

Great investigation you did there, thank you.

19. Re: take 1 of "Yea Heavy" - interesting how the Echorec effect on Dylan's voice seems much less prominent - or perhaps better integrated - than it does on the boots. Not sure what to attribute that to, but I wouldn't be surprised if others like it (i.e., take 1s of "Million Dollar Bash" and "Crash On the Levee") follow suit...

HominyRhodes likes this.
  20. amonmarktalk

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

More. Include the Band only tracks, stuff that was recorded later, contemporary interviews, later interviews, other stuff going on in Woodstock that year, intercepted Russian radio transmissions, whatever. I want it all.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

At least in the case of the Band-only stuff, we are *theoretically* going to get all that someday on the LONG-promised From Bacon Fat to Judgement Day box. As for intercepted Russian transmissions, you are on your own there, I'm afraid.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  23. Thelonious_Cube

It was pointed out that I probably have that backwards and looking at the source page, I do think 40,000 is actual units sold

DeeThomaz likes this.
  24. Thelonious_Cube

Yes, I think you're right. I looked at the source cited and it seems that 40,000 is actual sales....sorry about that

25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

LESS than two weeks, guys....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.