Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "A Swingin' Affair" - 1957

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Which I'm sure was primo-state of the art for the day, which sounds like this disc is a testament to.

Due to financial restraints I have to wait before I order my SFSL and ASA copies. Painful. :(

2. "A Swingin' Affair" Mo-Fi SACD has arrived at Acoustic Sounds...I should be receiving my pre-order from January 2013 in about a week!!!:goodie:

3. Just received my Mo-Fi hybrid SACD of "ASA!" in the office and am playing the redbook layer on my PC...I'm in Sinatra Nirvana, guys!!! :love:

colormesinatra likes this.
  4. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Had to share: During a visit on Friday to Fantasyland Records & CDs in Buckhead (in Atlanta, GA), I stumbled across the following, laughed and snapped a photo:

A copy of the Duophonic A Swingin' Affair, sealed with the attached label "Early 60s Duophonic Pressing! Still sealed!! Never opened!! $30."

The sucker poor soul that pays $30 for that junk, with the existence of the SACD... :rolleyes:

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed. Frank Sinatra in Duophonic is up there with Norberged Frank Sinatra. Friends don't let friends buy horrid sounding Sinatra recordings. Duophonic is horrid Garbage. Give me real mono unfutzed with. And you should do the same. Ask for the genuine sound!

bozburn likes this.
  6. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I found one of these over the weekend, housed in a standard US jacket. It's a Decca UK pressing, -1N/-1N matrix. Very strange indeed.

[​IMG]

MMM likes this.
  7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

^How's it sound?

8. GroovinGarrett

Eh, nothing special. A bit rolled off on top. Not nearly as good as a single-digit D-matrix or the MoFi.

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

OK, Sinatra nuts/collectors!

As soon as we wrap up the The Lady is a Tramp comparisons over in the singles thread, we'll be re-doing the long gone comparisons for this album. I think I'm covered on all the CD versions, and I have several LPs, i.e., a couple of originals, 1983 MFSL, "Dell" pressings, but the more samples, the better on these things, so if you are able to rev up the turntables and get some transfers made, please PM me so I can post your clips (with credit to you, of course). We'll be using "Night and Day. @GroovinGarrett -- I'm talkin' to you! (I'm very curious to hear a clip from that Decca pressing you have....)

Thanks as always, guys. The more, the merrier, no?

Matt

bozburn and rangerjohn like this.
  10. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Excited about this one. Bring 'em on.

11. GroovinGarrett

I should be able to get you a 'drop this weekend. :)

MLutthans likes this.
  12. MLutthans

My earliest copy of side one is an N15. Anybody have a D1 or something in that ballpark, chronologically speaking? Or an early EP set? I'm curious if any of the earlier copies do *not* have the defect on the word "conversation" in the first half of "I Wish I Were in Love Again." I'm guessing, though, that it's on all copies.

:shrug:

13. MLutthans

Ah, just remembered that I have an excellent D6 LP transfer of that song that @tlmusic made a few years back! The hiccup on "conversation" is on that copy, too. Anybody able to confirm on a pre-D6 or EP copy? (...and Tom, that version you sent still sound primo! Thanks!)

TLMusic likes this.
  14. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Matt, I only have two copies of that album. Side one D6 and N1. The N1 also has that same strange sound on "conversation". What is it, an edit combining two takes? If it is, it's a pretty convincing splice. Note that the overall tempo of the song gets slightly quicker around that point. Or is it a electronic issue, like a bad tube popping?

What do you think?

15. MLutthans

My guess is that it's a splice, but I wouldn't absolutely swear to it. I hadn't noticed the change it tempo, but you may be right, darn it. (It's a little tough to really get my brain wrapped around that, because there's the inconsistency in sound there where the "hiccup" thing is, which throws my concentration a bit. I think you're right, though!) Now that's gonna bug me as I listen! :laugh:

TLMusic likes this.
  16. MLutthans

17. MLutthans

I've started resurrecting the pages that were first created back at the end of 2009. So far I only have CD clips posted, but LP clips will follow.

For now, you can access CD comparison clips here:

http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_A_Swingin_Affair.html

(Thanks to @Bob F and @DJ WILBUR for providing clips back in the dark ages.)

Also, if anybody has any LP clips of "Night and Day" that they would like to contribute, please let me know. I'll try to have some of those posted early next week.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Bob Belvedere and Simon A like this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

From best downward - current MoFi, '91 Walsh, THE CAPITOL YEARS, '98 UK (which I'm not too crazy for), then last and most definitely least the '98 "black box" mastered version, which is disgraceful sounding.

Simon A and Bob F like this.
  19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember Tom has a D16 side two. If you have a transfer of that, give it a listen. My copies are the best vintage Capitol masterings I have of the album, without a side one that is as good.

Simon A likes this.
  20. MLutthans

Yeah, I've got that, and it does sound very nice.

By the way, last night, I transferred four pressings of this album in immediate succession, and I was amazed at how completely different the four copies sound. Nothing subtle about it.

Simon A and MMM like this.
  21. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks for the clips, Matt! MoFi really nailed it on this one. (Thanks in no small part to Martin!)

Simon A likes this.
  22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The only copy I've heard that approaches the D16 side two is a D15 of the side that Chuck Granata has. They sound pretty similar, with the D16 having the edge - a little sweeter and more pleasant/polished.

It'll be interesting to have the side two clips up, including the D16. IMO, the only version that really holds up against it is the MoFi SACD (and the D15). For all I know there are other old cuttings that compare well, though I haven't heard them. Would be nice if such a side one exists as well.

Simon A likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  24. MLutthans

I've added clips from my own five (not four, as earlier stated) LP copies here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_A_Swingin_Affair.html
    to go along with the five CD clips already posted.

The new level-matched LP clips, all from full-length, 15-song mono editions, are:
    •N16 9:00 rainbow
    •1974 Japanese LP
    •1983 MFSL LP
    •1984 UK digitally-mastered "Dell" LP
    •1984 Netherlands digitally-mastered DMM "Dell" LP

Please have a listen, and share your thoughts.

Here's my take on the versions posted thus far:
    •There are lots of "pretty good" versions of this album out there.
    •The Netherlands DMM LP is dead as a door nail.
    •The 1983 MFSL LP may be sourced from wrong (wet) tapes, but Jack Hunt did a bang-up job with the material he had. The "wetness" is really the only flaw in that one, IMO, and the degree of wetness on this title is not nearly that of, say, In the Wee Small Hours, which is pretty darned soaked.
    •Of the five LP clips posted thus far, I'd choose the N16 or the UK Dell as best of the LPs. (These two LPs are the least-dynamic of the five, but also the ones that strike me as best-sounding from the LP choices.)
    •I find it odd that the two versions of the Dell LP (UK and Netherlands pressings) seem to be completely differently sourced. On many of these album comparisons, the UK Dell LPs have had extremely wide dynamics, but on this title, the dynamics are not very impressive, while the Netherlands version has completely wide-open dynamics, and poor tone. Weird. Even with the reduced dynamics, I think the UK is the better -- by far -- of the two Dell releases.)
    •Once pitch-corrected, the Japanese LP, which runs a quarter-step slow, has a top end that is not very sparkly to me. Not awful; just "off."
    •The 2014 MFSL CD/SACD is extremely well done, and stands out as superior to my ears, although the Walsh and UK CDs are not that far behind.

More clips to follow in the days ahead.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  25. MLutthans

I now touch on this at the page for this album, but thought I'd give it a bump here, as it's a pretty interesting discussion from nearly five years ago that a lot of our newer Sinatra nuts may have missed:
    @JamieC then posted this photo:
    [​IMG]

Side by side comparison from the site:
    Screen shot 2014-10-26 at 4.36.43 AM.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    rangerjohn, bozburn, JamieC and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.