Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #61)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

That is my favorite Schubert recording by anyone.

The D894 also happened to be Richter's favorite Schubert sonata. I think this shows in his performances of it.

Fafner88 likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Given the humongous number of recordings by S Richter, there is no chance I will even attempt to be a completist ... LOL

3. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It is indeed a wonderful performance. Will be playing more of this solo box soon and I'm really looking forward to his Melodiya Schubert box.

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've picked up a fair amount of Czerny over the years, but I don't think I've heard any of his nocturnes. I guess I'll need to keep an eye open--thanks for the tip! Have you heard his concerto for two pianos and orchestra? It's another fun piece. His "Art of Finger Dexterity," op. 740, also contains more numbers enjoyable in their own right than one would expect from what is billed merely as a collection of exercises for the advanced student.

6. George P

:thumbsup:

I haven't. I've been meaning to pick up some of those off the beaten path concertos from the Hyperion series, but it seems every time I see one, it's a pianist I either don't like (Hough) or one I don't know (I don't buy blindly.)

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Unfortunately, when you get into the esoteric literature, you're pretty much stuck with who you can get. With dispiriting frequency, that means music that more than most needs committed, persuasive advocacy gets a second- or third-rate soloist or band under some justifiably unknown running through it with maybe a rehearsal or two. By that standard, even the "I don't like" guys on Hyperion are a cut above. I've been lamenting that state of affairs for decades, but it seems to be the way of things: the Vienna Philharmonics and Chicago Symphonies of this world rarely if ever bother with the likes of Czerny or Tomasek.

And speaking of Tomasek, if you're looking for some very attractive non-standard literature, get yourself a collection of his short pieces under titles like "dithyramb" and "eclogue." They are said to have influenced Schubert, and many of them are muchly enjoyable, at least in my opinion. I have two such collections, somewhat overlapping but not entirely duplicating each other, one on a modern piano and one on a period instrument. Neither is played by anyone you've ever heard of. Both are pleasant listening.

8. coopmv

Really enjoyed this recording, JS Bach's Inventions are generally performed only on keyboards, i.e. either piano or harpsichord but the Trio of performers made these works so delightful. I am generally lukewarm to most transcriptions and did not go near that Goldberg Variations recording on DG that was performed on harp or some string instrument. Janine Jansen is a superb violinist IMO ...

9. George P

Do you have a link to the one on modern piano? I don't see anything on amazon.

10. coopmv

This is exactly how I buy my music - I don't buy blindly nor do I think the newer the artist, the better the music. Much credit to you for first recommending the WTC by S Richter and that became the first version in my JS Bach collection. By now, I have at least 20 versions of WTC, performed between piano and harpsichord. Thankfully, there is not a version that is a dud ...

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I rather like Bach on the harp (and on the guitar).

Bachtoven likes this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

It's by Milan Langer on Panton 81 9006-2 131. He plays a Steinway D. I don't know if Panton is still around; it was never common, and I've had the disc for some years now.

George P likes this.
  13. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Why? In all seriousness. As someone who has been greedily seeking out every classical LP I can find, I'd love to have you expand on that a little.

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 12/20-21/82. Producer: Andrew Cornall. Engineer: Colin Moorfoot.

ToddBD, Fafner88, J.A.W. and 2 others like this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Superb D958 recorded in 1972 @Schloss Klesheim/Salzburg in Austria...

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Sibelius: Violin Concerto, Op.47 - Kyung Wha Chung with André Previn/London Symphony Orchestra - Decca

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Soulpope and Robin L like this.
  17. moops

moops Senior Member

bluemooze likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now from this box: Schubert: Piano Sonatas 9, D575; 15, D840; disc 24, December 1979 recording

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  19. coopmv

Did Haitink record all the Shosty Symphonies with the RCO? I have No. 5 on LP ...

20. coopmv

This CD must be impossible to find these days ...

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No, he did 5-6, 8, 11-14 with the RCO. He recorded the others (1-4, 7, 9-10, 15) with the LPO.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  22. George P

The D958 appears on cheaper labels, like Regis. However, the A flat Impromptu does not seem to appear on any other CD. Which means I haven't heard it. :shake:

Source for info: http://www.trovar.com/str/discs/schubert.html

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

I suppose it's because the mono LP era, bleeding over into the beginnings of stereo, was the last gasp for many individualistic artists of the earlier generation, the ones who started on my beloved 78s or who still reflected the ethos of that period, before things got so homogenized beginning in the '70s or so as the jet-set age got itself into full swing. (In the first part of the 20th century, distinctive voices could develop in different localities as conductors like Frederick Stock spent decades leading a single orchestra and opera singers would usually be associated primarily with a "home" house; once travel became fast and readily available, everything got all scrambled into a single, frequently rather impersonal "international" style.) In the mono era, you got the last recordings of elder statesman artists like Albert Spalding and Erno Dohnanyi and George Enescu and Fritz Busch and Walter Gieseking and George Georgescu, slightly younger colleagues like Henry Jolles and Kurt Woss, and the bulk of recordings by Friedrich Wuhrer and Guiomar Novaes and Toscanini, not to mention much of the best work by such as Rudolf Serkin.

Then, too, the mono LP era had such a sense of adventure about it: with the introduction of tape after WW II, recording, which had been a slow, torturous, exorbitantly expensive proposition, suddenly became cheap and easy, and the industry rushed to fill all manner of gaps that had been lurking in the catalogue. A favorite example: the manuscripts for Mendelssohn's concerti for two pianos came to light in the early '50s, and Orazio Frugoni recorded them for Vox; yeah, he had different partners for the two works, the orchestra is scrappy, the production catch-as-catch-can, but what a sense of excitement the musicians project bringing these scores to life for the first time in about a century.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Schumann: Fantasie, Op.17; Faschingsschwank aus Wien, Op.26; Papillons, Op.2 - Sviatoslav Richter - EMI; 1961-1962 recordings

[​IMG]

George P and bluemooze like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Musical Offering" performed by (see below) from the "DHM 50th Anniversary Edition" box set.

Barthold Kuijken - transverse flute
    Sigiswald Kuijken - violin
    Wieland Kuijken - viola da gamba
    Robert Kohnen - harpsichord

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Robin L and J.A.W. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.