Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #61)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just got that in the Decca Analogue box. Ripped and tagged it this weekend. Maybe I'll start my listening with it.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

My first encounter with the 5th was through that recording. It did very little for me. Once I heard Kondrashin, Mravinsky and Rohsestvensky, I had found performances that really moved me.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Really enjoyed the Philips sound. What I played was really a Philips Festivo LP. Unfortunately, that image is not available on both Amazon US and Amazon UK ...

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Three virtuoso Russian musicians playing virtuoso Russian music--can't beat that!

[​IMG]

Soulpope, bluemooze and dale 88 like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I think I prefer the 8th over the 9th--the latter can be a bit repetitive. Still good, though!

6. coopmv

Side A does not sound that exciting to me, as it is the Symphony for Cello and Orchestra composed by Britten and conducted by Britten. It does not appeal to my non-modern ears. Side B should be the Haydn Concerto in C for Cello and Orchestra. The LP jacket is a minimalist, as it does not even show what is on each side. That info is only available on the record label ...

Looks like this LP was released in the 60's, as I do not have any other London LP's with that style of packaging.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  7. john greenwood

I like Britten's three Cello Suites, so I expect to like the Cello Symphony. And I also expect to enjoy the Haydn.

8. coopmv

I am sure I should enjoy the Haydn piece a bit more. But to be fair, there are some pretty delicate and delightful moments in Britten's piece as well ...

9. john greenwood

Back to twelve tone on Broadway - via Leon Fleisher in this case. He spoke at the 92nd St. Y earlier today, and mentioned Jerome Kern's "All the Things You Are." While that is not a pure twelve tone work - it does not begin with each of the notes being played - Fleisher noted its chord progression includes at least one chord based on all twelve notes. Fleisher then performed the work.

John S and bluemooze like this.
  10. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing…
    [​IMG]

11. coopmv

BTW, are there any HIP Bruckner Symphonies out there yet? :D

ToddBD likes this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

:wantsome:

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, Roger Norrington recorded a few HIP Bruckner symphonies. According to some reviews that I've read they're utterly forgettable.

Robin L likes this.
  14. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

15. coopmv

Norrington is a tough act to follow. I have his original Beethoven 9th on EMI and really did not like it that much. In general, I still prefer Beethoven Symphonies to be performed on modern instruments, even though I have the HIP versions by Gardiner, Hogwood and Goodman. Norrington's Handel Water Music is decent. I also have the following Berlioz Requiem, which I think is quite good IMHO ...

[​IMG]

heman__ and bluemooze like this.
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Montserrat Figueras - The Voice Of Emotion" accompanied by Hesperion XX/Jordi Savall/etc. on Auvidis.

Perfect late night listening.

[​IMG]

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes , I think I saw a few. But I find it particularly interesting that Nicholas Harnoncourt turns out to be a Bruckner conductor to the manner born. Of course with Bruckner, the kind of activity one would expect with the HIP folk gets focused on different editions. A great example of that is Kent Nagano/Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin's Harmonos Mundi Recording [SACD!] of the original edition of Bruckner's Third symphony in the original edition. Glorious recording, totally different in many spots from the more familiar standard edition..

18. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have about two thirds of the Phase 4 classical.The Bernard Hermann and Miklos Rosza are also very good.The Stokowski Sixtieth Anniversary Concert is one of my favorite records of all time.In my diggings at thrift stores,I have come a cross a number of US pressings of Phase 4 by RCA,from the mid to late 60s,read the "white dog" years.They are unmistakeable as anything but RCA pressings.The weight,the rims,the stamper numbers,and pressing plant marks.These are a great improvement over the UK pressed Londons,IMO.These were probably pressed for the RCA Record Club.There are regular Londons and DGGs of this vintage like this,too.

Robin L likes this.
  19. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

There's Herreweghe playing the 4th and the 7th on period instruments (Harmonia Mundi).

20. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Harnoncourt's 8th with the BPO is highly recommended, it's a stunning recording.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Harnoncourt Bruckners are not HIP, at least not the ones I've heard. The symphonies he did with the Vienna Philharmonic got good to excellent reviews, but the reviews I read about his 8th (Nowak edition) with the Berlin Philharmonic weren't very positive. Never heard that one though; I have the 7th and 9th, both with the VPO.

22. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I love Harnoncourt's Schubert symphony set on Teldec.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

With the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Excellent indeed. It's now on Warner.

George P likes this.
  24. john greenwood

Abbado's Schubert is quite nice.

J.A.W. likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Agreed. I have a soft spot for Abbado.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.