Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think Mutter and Seiji Ozawa appeared with the BPO for some Karajan memorial concert on the twentieth anniversary of HVK passing. Both she and Ozawa were very close to HvK. IIRC, a DVD was released by DG for the concert ...

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Wow.I didn't know about that coming out on vinyl.I have bought some recent DG vinyl,but not that one.I know what I am going to buy next.Copies on Amazon,my one stop shop for new vinyl,are $25-$30.standard new album price for LP.

3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks again EE! I think I'm going for it too. How do you like the recent DG's you've heard?

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I noticed that whole series is available as lossless downloads on eclassical.

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 2/82.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    HMV recordings from 1928, 1931 & 1932. Recorded in Kingsway Hall & Abbey Road Studio No. 1. Soloist in the Cello Concerto is Beatrice Harrison. A note says that part of the 'Nursery Suite' was recorded on 6/4/31 in the presence of Princesses Elizabeth & Margaret.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Both volumes are superb.

8. coopmv

I have this CD in my Chopin collection ...

vanhooserd likes this.
  9. EasterEverywhere

Not bad.

10. EasterEverywhere

I was just playing the Falstaff on the original HMV shellac yesterday.

ToddBD and vanhooserd like this.
  11. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

It's pretty fantastic. Best way to hear it is probably the HDTracks 24/96 version (given that it was recorded/mastered at 24/96, you're pretty much getting the source).

12. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Hi , I am new to classical music and would like some advice regarding Beethoven , a week ago at my local Salvos
    i bought about 300 classical records in NM/M condition from a deceased estate (.50c - $1 each) , about 120 are Beethoven .

My questions are ,

1. Does it make sense to play them in chronological order , as in when they were composed ?
    2. I have multiple doubles of Symphonies , Piano Concertos , Sonatas ...etc , is there much difference
    in the way the orchestras perform them ? and also the conductors ?
    3. How does one file them ? chronologically or Symphonies 1st , Concertos 2nd , others alphabetically ? or by the Opus # ?
    4. What are the labels that are desired ? I have Decca's , Vox , Concert Hall , Columbia , Aussie World Record
    Club (fantastic covers) , Radiola , HMV , Saga , Everest , Deutsche Grammophon , Musicdisc and MFP .
    5. Regarding questions 1 - 3 , Will the same advice work with all of the other Composers that i have ?

At the moment i am up to the 6th Pastoral and have enjoyed all of them (Eroica is my favorite so far)

I am very much in over my head and any advice would be appreciated .

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Mik, ToddBD, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That Vivaldi may be the best sounding disc I own.

14. john greenwood

1. No need to obsess about it. :) Beethoven's music is generally (if somewhat simplistically) divided into three periods. The second begins, more or less, with the Eroica. The third consists, more or less, of the works that have three digit Opus numbers. There are some works in the third period that may be more difficult to digest. (It is a commonplace to say that his Grosse Fugue was a century ahead of its time.)

2. Yes. I would guess that 2/3 of the debate on these 62 threads is about the relative merits of different performances of the same work - relating both to the performers and the sound quality.

3. Up to you of course. As I tend to know if I want to hear a symphony, piano sonata or string quartet, grouping them by music type makes most sense. And by the way - did you get a set of the string quartets? Together with the symphonies and the sonatas they represent the core of Beethoven's music.

4. To me the performer comes before the label, but there are certainly some labels held in higher esteem. Also I'm a digital guy these days, so I don't even know all of the labels you mention. Moreover, most labels went through good periods and bad, so it is very hard to generalize. Others on this thread may have a lot more to add.

5. Overall, yes.

Mik, motownmaniac, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  15. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Just about to spin an ok-ish condition of this Red Seal Mono.

[​IMG]

Mik, vanhooserd, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

At first, I think it is wise to do so, as it will give you a sense of his development as a composer. After that, I don't think it matters, though I tend to listen to cycles chronologically myself.

Absolutely to both questions.

I file by genre, keeping solo piano together, concertos together, symphonies together, etc.

My favorite performances are spread out over a number of different labels. No patterns have emerged.

Yes, I think so.

Enjoy! :wave:

Mik, motownmaniac, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  17. John S

John S Forum Resident

I wonder what the half-life of "the miracle new antistatic ingredient 317X" is?

18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks--when was it recorded?

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

First off, welcome! :wave:

I'm trying to get my girl to school and self to work, so can't write much--others have good advice so far. One idea for filing: I prefer to go by label and catalogue number, with a computer database to keep track of things and access them. You're early enough in the acquisition curve that you could do that fairly easily. After too many more acquisitions, it will start to be more difficult.

Enjoy!

motownmaniac and ToddBD like this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not really. Doesn't hurt.
    It is such stuff that flame wars are made of.
    I like to shuffle them like a Vegas Blackjack shoe, interspersed with the Johnny Mathis and Sun Ra LPs.
    Of your list, thumbs up to HMV and Decca. Don't know the Aussie World Record club issues, always liked the UK versions. Thumbs down on Vox, Saga and Everest, they tend to have wretched quality control.

Music's music, you'll either like it or not.

Bet you'll love the 7th. Also look for a collection of Beethoven's overtures.

Mik, motownmaniac, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

This has only four CDs in it. There are at least two other similarly sized boxes, the first of which I have most of on vinyl. The second one, and actually any Tallis Scholars that I don't have at present, are all on the never ending wish list.

Robin L likes this.
  22. coopmv

I do not have any Gimell sets that have more than 2 CD's. The rest are all singles. This label is just about the best when it comes to early music ...

bluemooze likes this.
  23. coopmv

Ordered the following CD late last night from an Amazon seller - another recording by Janine Jansen ...

[​IMG]

Echo and bluemooze like this.
  24. john greenwood

They are available as CD quality downloads from the Gimell website for a reasonable price. I expect to pick up Volume 1 (OOP on CD as I mentioned) there as some point.

http://www.gimell.com/recording-sacred-music-in-the-renaissance---volume-2.aspx

bluemooze likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.