Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Legenda Aurea - Laudes Des Saints Au Trecento Italien" performed by La Reverdie on Arcana.
    [​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  2. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Booklet says June 2013.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  3. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Interesting...obviously BMG went with the legendary Reiner performance instead for the SACD and indeed all Living Stereo CD issues. I was wondering if it's a Decca recording which RCA licensed, but it's not on the compilation of Monteux's stereo era Decca/Philips recordings: http://www.amazon.com/Pierre-Monteux-Philips-Recordings-1956-1964/dp/B000G6BJKS. It wasn't included in the Monteux edition which was released in the 90s - they used the SFSO recording instead.

heman__ likes this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Not as far as I can tell:

16 pounds at Hyperion
    $20.75 at Gimell (or 15.75 pounds - the dollar price looks like a bargain)

Edit - could the difference be VAT?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
  6. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Picked this up for $1.00.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Whoops, missed the currency symbol. One nice thing about the Hyperion site is that if you buy more, they start giving discounts. 10% at 25 GBP

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Violin Concerto BWV 1042/Concerto For Oboe & Violin BWV 1060R/Keyboard Concerto BWV 1052, and Vivaldi - Piccolo Concerto RV443" from the "Leonard Bernstein Edition - Concertos & Orchestral Works" box set on Sony.

Featuring: Isaac Stern/Glen Gould/Harold Gomberg/William Heim/the New York Philharmonic/the Columbia Symphony Orchestra.

80 CDs for $86.74 including shipping from Amazon UK. :)

[​IMG]

john greenwood likes this.
  9. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

It's lovely, no doubt about that. It's just impossible not to like A-S' 21st century romanticism.

However, I need also something else: fire & brimstone by Maxim Vengerov, elegance by Frank Peter Zimmermann (with Czech Philh. & Belohlávek!), Julia Fischer's steady work (with great support by Tonhalle Orch. & Zinman - actually, Arabella Steinbacher and RSO Berlin & Janowski play at times almost magically together; for that, I blame Janowski, whom I've praised sometime earlier for a sharp "psychological" eye). I'm not saying that Suk (with Ceská filharmonie & Neumann) is still unbeatable, but let's just not forget him yet. ;) I'm even considering a digital version of that...

10. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Believe me, it is possible :)

jukes and drh like this.
  12. john greenwood

I have the Steinbacher/Janowski disc; I need to give it another listen. I also heard Gil Shaham perform the Dvorak with Dudamel making his NY Phil debut. (And I didn't know who Dudamel was at the time.)

So far, I don't think I am sold on the concerto, despite my love for the cello concerto and many other Dvorak works.

13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Gee, that's one of the loveliest violin concertos, a fine example of post-Mendelssohnian developments. It's versatile, there's those stupeed virtuosic moments, of course, but there's also moments for more folky, down-to-earth busker kind of musicianship.

14. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Received couple of ceedees from MDT today (actually, yesterday, the night is slightly turning into morning very soon). It's just amazing that a republic with an approx. population of 10 million can "produce" such broad palette of great chamber ensembles. Besides Pražák Quartet, there's Zemlinsky Quartet and just in few years also Pavel Haas Quartet has made its way on the highest international level. Not to mention the esteemed Janáček, Smetana, Talich and Vlach Quartets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ahh! Even a broken case of Pavel Haas Quartet's double-cd won't get my spirit down.

Mik, Soulpope, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I used the Sonata No.2 to compare these two recordings. For me, Kremer's disc wins both for his more powerful playing, rich tone, and better sound (in stereo).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  16. john greenwood

Listening to it again right now. It's growing on me, although still not as much as the cello concerto (or e.g. the Brahms violin concerto).

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Same here.

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Sonatas & Etudes" performed by Yuja Wang on DG.

Works by Chopin, Scriabin, Liszt & Ligeti.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Not sure how I didn't hear about this release (which apparently came out yesterday). Wow. Sony really should do a similar production for Szell, and while this might engender more mixed feelings, Ormandy as well. The 39-CD Szell edition was a half measure at best.

21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Sarasate," music of Pablo De Sarasate performed by Julia Fischer with Milana Chernyavska on piano. On Decca.

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I pre-ordered it a couple of months ago at the low price. :)

I would go for Szell/Ormandy boxes. Who knows, they may be in the works. Sony recently released a Bruno Walter Edition box.

ToddBD likes this.
  23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs:

bluemooze likes this.
  24. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

The Bruno Walter box was a reissue of a box they'd done at a much higher price a decade or so ago, if memory serves. And I just got the new Bernstein box for $105 shipped from a domestic vendor...not terrible, albeit not $82.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Here's another new DG LP release. Any opinions on this performance/SQ (doesn't have to be vinyl)? Thanks!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.