Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Attn.: George

You, sir, are an evil influence.

Today I ordered a copy of that Czerny nocturnes disc. On your recommendation.

From Japan.

$$$$$$$$$

(Note to everyone else: for another couple of days, HMV Japan has a promotion going on that, for selected items, cuts the price of each in the order if the order contains more than two discs. My order also included Guiomar Novaes in a couple of concerti--Chopin 2d, Beethoven 4th--under Szell; the Beethoven syms. under Georgescu on Electrecord, a replacement for my copy on Lingen Koln LPs with one flawed record; and Schubert's 8th and 9th, also led by Georgescu. I may go back and delete the last, as only after I placed the order did I notice that the Schubert disc was listed as back ordered. )

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Now I feel I should read my OP. I don't think I gave it a glowing recommendation, so I hope you didn't pay too much.

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Not to worry: it was something of an afterthought to fill out the order; the main show was the Beethoven cycle. As I recall it, you described the pieces as enjoyable but not up to Chopin. But then, who is? Actually, as something of a Czerny lover, I'm glad you did mention it when you did--I would never have known about it otherwise.

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Rachmaninoff.

:thumbsup:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm pretty sure RCA had an arrangement with Decca, who produced a number of RCA Victor's overseas productions. I see that there is a Decca edition of this recording on LP from late 1966:

[​IMG]

ToddBD and ubertrout like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have this on CD. Listening to it right now. SQ is excellent. Performance sounds great to me, but I must tell you that I am completely unable to compare/contrast Ms. Grimaud's playing with other recordings the way so many other, more experienced listeners can. But it's Helene Grimaud, what's not to like? :)

John S and RelayerNJ like this.
  7. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

It's strange that they bothered. RCA had the Reiner and Decca had the Ansermet - both performances of the highest quality. The Monteux is very good, but IMO not up to the level of those two.

Now spinning this (very nice during a relaxed afternoon.) Very clean 1970 pressing that sounds great.
    [​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Own them both.I have dozens of Scherazades.But for Monteux at his best,the 1942 San Francisco is the one hear.Up there with Ansermet,Kondrashin,and Stoki as my favorites.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, bluemooze and heman__ like this.
  9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Very different styles. But I don't think the Fischer gives up much in terms of sound quality.

10. john greenwood

Both the Walter and Szell sets originated in Korea. But the Szell box has been out for a while over there (and its cost is quite high). So I'm beginning to doubt it will be re-issued here.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Recorded by Decca in Kingsway Hall, June 7,11 & 13,1957. Producer: James Walker. Engineers: Kenneth Wilkinson (mono) & Ken Cress (stereo). RCA LM-2208 (7/58). RCA LSC-2208 (9/59)
    Decca SPA 89 (8/70). London STS 15158 (9/73). Also released on RCA Victrola VICS-1013.

Robin L, bluemooze and heman__ like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Korean George Szell Edition has 49 CDs. What do you mean by "a half measure"?

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think the LSO version is owned by Decca (now Universal, of course). I hope Universal will release a Monteux box with all the recordings they own.

The SFSO version will be included in the upcoming Pierre Monteux The Complete RCA Album Collection 40CD-set: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pierre-Mont...&keywords=monteux complete rca&tag=shtv.uk-21

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

15. john greenwood

Interesting piece. Started it on line, but my copy should be in my mailbox. And my course on the romantic symphony meets this evening - I expect the article will come up.

Speaking of which, much of the class is taken up with listening to excerpts from the symphonies. This is fine of course, but the speakers in the classroom are GHASTLY. I cringe (inwardly) as I listen. Now this might be expected at most schools, but these classes are at Juilliard for heaven's sake. Sound quality would seem to be important for students there.

Last week we covered Brahms 1 and 2. The recordings were by HvK - not sure which cycle - and Mackerras - with a much smaller ensemble. We cover Brahms 3 and 4 this week.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

My mistake. But I stand by my comment. It only reflected a fraction of Szell's recorded output for Epic/Columbia, even if you only include the stereo era. At least they threw in the discs Sony has released as SACDs but not otherwise as regular CDs.

As for the Monteux, it seems like Decca left a bunch off the 1956-1964 set (or was the Scheherezade from earlier?). Pity.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the Szell set and noticed that they did indeed leave off several Sony-owned recordings. Hopefully a U.S. or European Szell set will correct that, but I won't hold my breath. The 1956-1964 Decca/Philips set isn't complete either.

18. John S

John S Forum Resident

Another recent arrival:

[​IMG]
    A certain Barry Manilow record gets filed next to Chopin in my mind at least.

(Prelude Op.28, No. 20 C minor)

Soulpope, bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  19. john greenwood

John S likes this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Paging George P and Scott W:

"Subsequent to the release of the album, Carmen was contacted by the Rachmaninoff estate and an agreement was reached in which the estate would receive 12 percent of the royalties from "All By Myself" as well as "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again", which was based on the third movement from Rachmaninoff's Symphony No. 2.[5][6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_by_Myself

EasterEverywhere and John S like this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have the Decca box, as well as his recordings of the Beethoven Symphonies 1-8 on 2 London Double Decker CD sets. There should be a 2nd box with his other Decca & Philips recordings.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, there should be but as far as I know there isn't. I searched the various Amazon sites but nothing came up apart from the 1956-1964 set.

vanhooserd likes this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Machaut - Messe de Nostre Dame" performed by the Taverner Consort/Taverner Choir led by Andrew Parrott on EMI Reflexe.

[​IMG]

SquaRoots, Mik and Robin L like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Is this amazing?

28 October 2014, 1:13 pm, Frenchtown NJ US Delivered
    28 October 2014, 8:55 am, Bound Brook NJ US Parcel received by carrier
    28 October 2014, 8:10 am, Bound Brook NJ US Out for delivery
    28 October 2014, 8:10 am, Bound Brook NJ US Parcel received by carrier
    28 October 2014, 7:16 am, Newark NJ US Parcel received by carrier
    28 October 2014, 7:14 am, Newark NJ US Parcel left the carrier facility
    28 October 2014, 6:23 am, Newark NJ US Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    28 October 2014, 6:22 am, Newark NJ US Parcel arrived at destination country
    28 October 2014, 5:54 am, Newark NJ US Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    28 October 2014, 2:37 am, KOELN (COLOGNE) DE Parcel left the carrier facility
    28 October 2014, 12:40 am, KOELN (COLOGNE) DE Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    27 October 2014, 10:20 pm, East Midlands Airpor GB Parcel left the carrier facility
    27 October 2014, 9:13 pm, East Midlands Airpor GB Parcel left the carrier facility
    27 October 2014, 8:45 pm, East Midlands Airpor GB Parcel arrived at a carrier facility
    27 October 2014, 7:40 pm, Luton GB Parcel received by carrier
    27 October 2014, 7:00 pm, Luton GB Parcel left the carrier facility
    27 October 2014, 6:40 pm, Luton GB Parcel received by carrier
    27 October 2014, 2:06 pm, GB Parcel has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

Mik, TimH and George P like this.
  25. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Well, in 2010's Dudamel is pretty close to what Tilson Thomas was in 1970's? ;)

Actually, it's not rare that a young guy has to has & show some showmanship in order to get recognised. Tilson Thomas became a steady performer - that'll happen to Dudamel, too.

But, guys, Tilson Thomas' "Rite" was almost as big a shock as was Carlos Kleiber's "5th" (and not only to me...). Then again, at exactly the right moment, any recording could probably have done the same to me: it would have proved that, (a) Stravinsky was a fearless genius, and (b) there are genuinely wild properties/qualities in the so-called classical music, too. I still have one Tilson Thomas LP. Guess what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.