Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Piano Sonatas 1, Op.2/1 (1976); 7, Op.10/3 (1976); 17, Op.31/2 (1961); Andante favori, WoO57 (1977) - 2 CDs, EMI; disc 1. Disc 2 contains Schubert's Piano Sonata 13, D664 (1963) and Wanderer Fantasie, D760 (1963), and Schumann's Fantasie, Op.17 (1961).

[​IMG]

Bachtoven, ToddBD, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I'm looking for a good audiophile lp with a great performance of Symphonie Fantastique. These two have gotten good reviews. Can someone suggest one or the other? Thanks!
    1. Argenta PCO on Speaker's Corner
    2. Bernstein
    [​IMG]

3. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Artistically, the Lipatti account has never been surpassed, with his closest rival being his teacher Cortot. Sound to both is good considering they are from the 30's and 50's. If you want a cd era one, it is Ingrid Fliter I am going to proffer.

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Ludwig Von Beethoven – Piano Sonatas Nos.8-11 — Eric Heidseck (EMI Music France)

bluemooze likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Machaut - Le Jugement du Roi de Navarre" by Ensemble Giles Binchois on Cantus.

[​IMG]

Mik and John S like this.
  6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    Leonard Slatkin
    London Philharmonic
    St. Louis Symphony
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Pinchas Zukerman
    Janos Starker
    Sony, 2013
    4 CDs
    Some nice things here, but I didn't care for his In the South or Cockaigne

bluemooze likes this.
  7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have Boult conducting much of that.

8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Michael Tippett – Tippett Conducts Tippett: Symphonies Nos.2 & 4 — BBC Symphony Orchestra (BBC Music)

[​IMG]

Got this at a local thrift store for a dollar.

Mik, Bachtoven, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Who do you have for the Mazurkas? To me, they are better works than the Polonaises or the Waltzes.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Beethoven - Symphony No. 5" performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker led by Herbert von Karajan on DG.

[​IMG]

Mik and ToddBD like this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Beethoven - Symphony No. 5" performed by the Wiener Philharmoniker led by Carlos Kleiber on DG.

[​IMG]

Mik, EasterEverywhere, John S and 4 others like this.
  12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This lovely new release arrived today. Ms. Podger once again has produced a wonderful disc (when has she not?) The composers are not especially well known, but they certainly wrote interesting music that deserves to be heard. She is accompanied by a harpsichord, theorbo, and organ in various combinations. Channel Classics has recorded her in their typically stunning fashion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

It has a whole side of Leroy Anderson, but alas no Sleigh Ride (it does have Bugler's Holiday though!)…I already had this red box downstairs and didn't know it was the same as the green one, only it was released in the 70's...the Dynagroove LPs sound better. There is a Fiedler Holiday Poos box I believe, and I bet Sleigh Ride is in that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    dale 88 and bluemooze like this.
  14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

If it were me I would take the Bernstein over the Argenta. But I would also seriously consider Munch on RCA and Stokowski on Decca.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just bookmarked this CD, which is not yet in my early music collection ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  16. coopmv

I have this CD as a duplicate cuz I ended up buying the entire cycle in a box ...

bluemooze likes this.
  17. coopmv

This looks like a must-have CD for everyone and his cousin ... :winkgrin:

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I have the Argenta/Paris Conservatory Orchestra on the Stereo Treasury Series London reissue. Compared to other Decca recordings the sound is a bit odd, I assume this is related to the venue used and the 'French' sound of the Brass of the PCO. Love the performance, overheated in all the right ways. Same applies to Bernstein and the French National Orchestra. I have heard/owned Bernstein/NYPO, have heard a performance of the Symphony Fantastique with the forces on the record pictured above via You Tube, can't vouch for the sound. I'm sure there's an audiophile re-press of the Munch/Boston Symphony performance from the RCA "Living Stereo" series, that's very well played and recorded. Classic records made a reissue:

[​IMG]

The Colin Davis recordings of the work are my favorites as performances, I haven't seen Davis' first recording with the LSO on a premium pressing, the Concertgebouw re-recording on Philips has more than good enough sound to be in this company.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, John S and 2 others like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to Disc 7 from "Mitsuko Uchida plays Schubert" - Sonata D960, 3 Klavierstucke D946.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, trumpetplayer and 2 others like this.
  20. coopmv

Not sure if I have this LP but I do have the CD. I also have all the Berlioz's vocal works by Sir Colin on a few Philips LP sets ...

21. coopmv

I do not know Uchida that well as I have only one CD recording by her ...

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I don't know her so well either, but I'm working on it. In the past I purchased music way faster than I could listen to it, but I'm taking care of that nowadays. :)

Mik likes this.
  23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I have an assortment of Boult and Barbirolli for most of Elgar.

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Chopin - Etudes Op.10 & 25" performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy on London CD.

[​IMG]

25. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Goosens and the LSO on the Everest label, there is an audiophile reissue...it is stunning.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.