Good deals on Amazon.co.uk--updated regularly (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by superstar19, Oct 15, 2014.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    Electric, omom, Scope J and 7 others like this.
  2. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

What a great price. I have the big box already but this is a steal.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Great price on one of very best compiled boxes ever.

When this box was in the original 12x12 format it was never sold at a bargain price, and was never available cheaply from the record clubs. Kind of amazing that CSN(Y) agreed to allow it to be reissued in the budget reissue series.

4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I'm guessin' CSN(Y) had absolutely no say in the matter.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think that in this case they do, particularly since the box contains material that needed to be licensed from Young, etc. But it's possible that any control they have only extends to the US.

6. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Exactly what power do you think musicians yield? Any musician that holds complete control over its catalog has had to fight long and hard to gain it.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It all depends on what contract they signed with the record label. CSN and particularly Y have had very high powered representation from day one. It's entirely possible that they had it written into their contracts that they had right of approval/refusal on any reissues, or over the use of any previously unreleased material. Even if that wasn't in their initial contracts, it might have been added during any subsequent renewals.

8. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature Thread Starter

As far as CSNY being part of a "budget reissue series" is this any different than them being part of the Atlantic or Warner group "Super Saver Series" in the mid-80s? I'm guessing they didn't have any say in that either as it seemed to extend to all of the classic rock artists that I was interested in at the time on the Warner labels.

Checking a few US online retailers and their pricing seems to be ~$30 and up which makes a little more sense for a 4 CD set in fatboy case with booklet. The amazon.co.uk pricing seems to be a nice little aberration that makes this thread so valuable.

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I remember reading a rave review of the CSN box when it was just released, praising the sound and the tracklist ( must have that old magazine somewhere ) and being bummed because as a penniless student I couldn't afford it! Grrr!!

I believe I've seen no more than 4 or 5 copies of the old 12x12 import box over the years in record stores.
    Thankfully, CSN and Warner Bros. allowed it to be available again albeit in a smaller format.

10. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature Thread Starter

It's a great set. One question, how come "Long may You Run" is not included?

11. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Funny...that is the exact same reason why I never picked it up...until now :)

Thanks for posting the deal, Marcel. I can't wait to finally get this set!

12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Aging ex-students of the world unite! I'm in haha ;)

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

He he, so..about time!

You're very welcome :)

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Nothing to worry about. Just mail me the big box and I'll buy a copy of the new, improved one, for you :D

mestreech likes this.
  16. omom

omom Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on this! I had the original many moons ago, sold it and immediately regretted the decision.

PH416156 likes this.
  17. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

18. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

If anyone has been considering preordering the new Pink Floyd CD, it's gone down to £9.

myles likes this.
  19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

O.K. Leave me your address and I'll ship it right...HEY, WAIT A MINUTE!

:D

PH416156 likes this.
  20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I've got quite a few of these. They're a mixture of original CD masters and Rhino remasters w/ bonus tracks. They're not actually Japanese, they're made in Europe but for some reason they're designed to look like Japanese pressings with the obi strip and Japanese text. All the ones I've bought sound good :)

turnersmemo likes this.
  21. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Cheers Alan.

22. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I've seen links posted on this forum that tied to the poster's Amazon wishlist. To post a shorter and cleaner link to the Amazon page for a product, you can click on "Share" (located at top right of the product's page, by the Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest buttons). A box comes up which has the product name and shorter link: you can copy and paste all of it in one shot.

For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=shtv.uk-21

From the "Share" button:

The Heavyweight Champion - The Complete Atlantic Recordings
    ~ John Coltrane
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E5R5TAA

black sheriff and Robert C like this.
  23. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

Tjazz likes this.
  24. omom

omom Forum Resident

Tjazz likes this.
  25. Pigalle