Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@George Blair

Welcome!

UMe (Universal Music Enterprises, IIRC) is just the current distribution partner (that may not be the 100% technically correct term) for Capitol/Sinatra product, so the new Capitol releases bear the UMe logo on the rear cover. I'll type up some further details shortly, unless somebody beats me to it. Stand by!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. MLutthans

Here's a nutshell review of my own opinions of the recent items (things that are newly or recently introduced, and easily obtainable), and I invite others to chime in, as well, since we all have opinions, of course!

In order by recording vintage:
    •In the Wee Small Hours - BE CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE. The new 2014 version is very nice, but there is also a heavily flawed -- and still found in stores as new stock -- 2009 version that you need to avoid. This is from Capitol/UMe. Look for the UMe logo on the rear cover to guarantee that you are getting the correct, 2014 version. (The old version was pre-UMe.)
    •This is Sinatra - I cannot recommend the new vinyl edition. Sorry. If you want it, though, it, too, is from Capitol/UMe.
    •Where Are You (mono version) - From Mobile Fidelity. I think this is still in print. Arguably the best the mono mix has ever sounded -- and good luck trying to find a super-clean original copy as the basis for an argument!
    •A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra - The 2014 version is excellent, but again, there is a recent (2010) version that is still floating around out there, and that one is quite poor by comparison. Make sure you get the right one, with the UMe logo on the back. (Another way to differentiate between the two, and this sounds silly, but it's absolutely accurate, is that the "wrong" version from 2010 will have an exclamation point after SILENT NIGHT on the rear cover track listing. You want the one that does NOT have the exclamation point.)
    •Come Fly with Me - mono mix from Capitol/UMe. Many here prefer the mono mix to the stereo mix, and I respect that, although I personally disagree. We all like what we like, no? In this case, there is also a 2009 reissue from Capitol (pre-UMe), but if you get that one by mistake, you'll be okay, as both versions are pretty similar. (Note that early pressings of the 2009 release incorrectly used the artwork from the stereo version, but the LP in the sleeve is, indeed, the mono mix.)
    •No One Cares - Capitol stereo mix from MFSL. Highly recommended.
    •Sinatra's Swingin' Session - Capitol stereo mix from MFSL. Highly recommended. Very good mastering of one of the best stereo recordings that Capitol did in this era.
    •Swing Along with Me - MFSL release of the original Reprise stereo mix. Again, I think this is still in print???? The mix is never going to win any awards, but the mastering here is very tastefully done (if a bit bright-ish, maybe), and the music is excellent, regardless.
    •Point of No Return - A Capitol stereo title from MFSL, still available. The mastering by MFSL is very good.
    •Sinatra and Strings - a former Reprise title, this time on MFSL. This one does (oddly) NOT use the original mix, but a late-60s remix that I can't really recommend. I think it's still in print, though.
    •Sinatra and Swingin' Brass -- another former Reprise release, this one now distributed by UMe. Note that this is a, shall we say, controversial new remix of an album that definitely NEEDED a remix. If you are going to buy a vinyl copy, I can't really recommend any of the former versions, and there's a lot of confusion here about whether or not this one should be recommended, either, as it's a completely new take on the sound of the album. My guess? If you are new to the album, you should get this one and just not look back.
    •The Concert Sinatra - Reprise stereo from MFSL. Nicely mastered. May still be available, but don't quote me.
    •Moonlight Sinatra - another former Reprise title from UME. I have not heard the vinyl on this one, so "no comment." Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Did I miss any?

You can link to actual audio clips for many of these releases via my webpage, here: www.11fifty.com.

I have seen many of these titles at Music Millennium in Portland, and Everyday Music has some, as well, especially the UMe titles. Just today I saw some of the MFSL titles at Silver Platters up here in the tundra (Seattle), and, of course, there are the online sellers.

I hope that helps!

Matt

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    scotpagel, Henry Love, rxcory and 6 others like this.
  3. MLutthans

Ah....forgot about Sinatra's Sinatra (Reprise stereo) from MFSL. I don't have that one.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

In the case of Capitol/Sinatra product, UMe owns the masters, having acquired these in Universal Music's buyout of EMI/Capitol. In the case of Reprise/Sinatra product, UMe has licensed the manufacturing and distribution rights from FSE (Frank Sinatra Enterprises). Cross-ref the opening post in this thread's parent:

—> Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

MLutthans likes this.
  5. stevenalejandro

stevenalejandro Forum Resident

Matt, what is the issue with This is Sinatra? I ask because our wholesale supplier had them in early october for the first batch of reissues and they quickly disappeared only to show up as a release date of tomorrow 11/04. If there was an issue with the press I wonder if there was a quick fix and this explains the two release dates.

6. MLutthans

stevenalejandro likes this.
  7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have Moonlight Sinatra and I like it quite a bit. I have a feeling if I were more familiar with this album and had a stereo copy to compare i would feel the same about it as I do about the new Swingin' Brass LP as it has the "modern" mastering / mix "feel" that is similar.
    Swinging Brass isn't horrible, it's just not what I was expecting.

MLutthans likes this.
  8. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Listening to the MFSL sacd of No One Cares as I type. And I just had the thought -- thank heavens! Thank the stars above, that this made it out on MoFi before whatever-would-have-happened-to-it -- happened in UMe's hands. Cuz this is absolute devine.

It's shimmers. And the soft passages pull you in, the strings hovering -- imagine that -- dynamics! The bass is everywhere you want it. The music swells -- ebbs and flows. So much depth. It's beautiful. I'm nominating this one for some kind of award, right now!

9. MLutthans

^^^^^That sounds like something I would have posted. Have you lost your mind!?!? :laugh:
    Great sounding SACD, IMO. The LP clips I've heard are fantastic, too.

10. Pants Party

I played the 24/192 download over the weekend, entertaining, over some cocktails... and it was really, really nice. I've been a stereo-guy on this title... but... now, I don't know. This was delivered on-time and didn't miss a beat. Ring-a-ding-ding.

[​IMG]

11. MLutthans

Glad to see somebody else throws similar parties to yours truly!

12. Pants Party

You know it!

13. Pants Party

Ok, No One Cares just finished. Let me just say, I've always really liked No One Cares -- left a huge impression on me from the get-go. But I've always had to keep it a little bit "at arms length." As in, Frank was right when he called 'em his 'suicide albums.' This one's heavy. Dark. Dramatic and down as low as you can go. But this remaster by MoFi is responsible for me just loving this album. Falling into it and swept away. Maybe it's the original mix. Probably both. But it really is a masterpiece. And isn't this what we all hope to have happen with all these version upon version we buy, in this crazy music game we play?!

Now, you can't expect this to happen with every re-issue and remastering. But when it does... it makes it all worth it.

Tom Campbell, Simon A and MMM like this.
  14. Pants Party

... alright, now I'm rolling the hands of time back two years, 1957. Where Are You? MFSL Sacd is on the hi-fi. Cheers!

15. MLutthans

Re: Moonlight Sinatra

All I can do is post 'em. Y'all are encouraged to listen and share your opinions!

There is a 90 second free sample at iTunes that commences at the 0:45 point in Moonlight Sinatra's "Reaching for the Moon." Below is a clip that covers the first 60 seconds of the free sample "window."

You will hear:
    1.) First-issue CD -- thanks @AJH for the clip
    2.) 2014 HD download -- thanks again for the clip, AJH
    3.) 2014 LP - thanks @aoxomoxoa

Link: https://app.box.com/s/v7c4bawju7jysjhs1sy6

Simon A likes this.
  16. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Both the download and the new LP sound darker than the first-issue CD.

MLutthans likes this.
  17. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I prefer the sound on the CD the 2014 versions sound dull to my ears but maybe the CD version was tweeked at the high end.

MLutthans likes this.
  18. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I checked these clips against a raw transfer of my original Stereo LP. I've always loved the LP, but the CD has such life. The Stereo LP I have sounds the most like the HD Download- not bad, just not the best.

MLutthans and mikrt17 like this.
  19. Bob F

Article from Universal Music's uDiscover website: —> reDiscover 'Moonlight Sinatra'

Anyone notice anything different about the cover of the new UMe LP? (Not including the removal of the Reprise logo, it is different than the original LP, no?)

[​IMG]

20. MLutthans

Some song titles are in green?

Bob F likes this.
  21. Bob F

Yep. Just two songs: "Moon Love" and "I Wished on the Moon." What was their significance? Why would they change just those colors?

22. MLutthans

The question implies that there is rhyme or reason to this recent reissue campaign! :laugh:

OK, a non-snarky answer: I have no idea.

aoxomoxoa, rxcory, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  23. MLutthans

From the press release for the 2010 Jolly Christmas LP:
    Funny.....no exclamation point this go-round.

!

Bob F and Simon A like this.
  24. MLutthans

I almost literally could not care less about this, but I bring it up just for conversation's sake:

Anybody else find it odd that it seems to be so difficult (thus far, impossible?) to recreate the proper grey shade of the old 1950s Capitol labels for the new reissues? (Same thing happened in 2009/2010.) (Insert hopefully witty "50 Shades of Grey" joke/reference here.)

aoxomoxoa and Simon A like this.
  25. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

C'mon as we all know "it's not that easy bein' green" :p

aoxomoxoa and Bob F like this.