Gotham-Batman Prequel Series on Fox, Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

I still want to know what these alleged deviations are. If it's that the villains are around then you're wrong because that's not a deviation. That's how it really was.

2. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I think it's a fun show. I'm really enjoying it. Lot's of possibilities down the road.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  3. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Bullock and Gordon being partnered up from day one.
    Gordon being little Bruce's chum early on.
    Thompkins, if she's going to be around at all, being around later on in the game vs. when the killings first happened.
    Bullock being as dirty as he is.
    Selena Kyle being a hip street kid who may have some sort of powers.
    Alfred being gruff and commanding.
    Nigma being part of the PD and more of a scientist than a carny.
    Penguin being completely sociopathic and engaging in random killings unnecessarily.

There's plenty more, but this is just the stuff off the top of my head that came to mind in the amount of time I'm actually willing to spend on this conversation at this point.

There's nothing "alleged" about any of that - those are all places where thngs take a turn in ways that I didn't care for. If other people like them, that's fantastic! It keeps the genre out there and in the public consciousness.

You know this is all make-believe, right?

4. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

This isn't the first time the idea of Gordon and Bruce being chummy early on has been implemented. In fact, it adds depth to their relationship and to later when Bruce turns to Gordon when emerging as Batman. I'm enjoying it.

None of these is a deviation or a problem. Bullock is dirty. Simple as that. Selena Kyle definitely is street smart and grew up on the streets. This is documented in the comics.

Alfred is a stern and gruff fellow. The comics document that. He's coming off a little strong but nothing out of character. He is suddenly left to raise Bruce after merely being the employee of the Wayne's. That's a lot of pressure on top of Bruce's PTSD. Nigma isn't out of character. It's completely plausible that he worked in that compacity at some point in his life. It's completely in character. Penguin being completely sociopathic is a problem? Seems to be right in character to me. It's not unlike him to kill unnecessarily.

Basically these are things you want to be problems rather than them actually being problems. It's very easy to explain all these away and justify them. It's just a matter of whether you want it to or not.

Mazzy likes this.
  5. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

My God... What is wrong with you?
    None of these things are a "problem," they're just directions that the show went in that I didn't care for. You're carrying on like A) my appreciation of the show is immensely personal to you for some reason and B) I'm somehow consciously choosing to enjoy or not enjoy a television show.

I'm done with this conversation; you're super-duper creeping me out.

Deesky likes this.
  6. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

This show is fantastic. I've been enjoying it. The guy who works at the police house, Nigma, was drinking from a mug that had a question mark on it. The Riddler, right? He also had a riddle earlier in that episode.

Keep an eye on that one!

winojunko76 likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The Penguin is stealing the show...

Clever rat.....

8. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Great show so far and really holding my interest - rivaling "The Blacklist" for my fav TV show. Hope it continues to hold up in the ratings and has a future on Fox.

Not really trying to analyze what is or is not consistent with the comics. But then, I grew up on the 60's Batman TV show (I was 7 yrs. old when it started in '66 and of course loved it). It took a few years for me to figure out Bruce Wayne was not quite like Adam West portrayed him.

winojunko76 and musicalbeds like this.
  9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I thought this week's episode was quite good; dramatic and edgy with some humour but well-balanced.

I'm not sure I like the "Gordon inspired Bruce Wayne" angle, but the story is unfolding well, imo.

DesertChaos likes this.
  10. musicalbeds

Yep, he's Edward Nigma....E Nigma.

11. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

The guy who plays the Penguin was in The Walking Dead too. He was in the first episode of this season. He was killed a few minutes in.

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We are enjoying it.

13. tommy-thewho

Loved Alfred getting the best of the police detective. More to Alfred than meets the eye.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  14. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Clever bird...:)

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  15. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Blacklist and Gotham are my two favorites!

16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Good to see a hero that is human. This series is interesting and somewhat complex. I hope that the writers get too cute and lose the thread of the series.

Lonson likes this.
  17. I enjoy Black list but this Kicks ass over it. Probably shouldn't even compare as they are so different. Blacklist plays out in the real world but seem phony. Gotham plays out in an alternative world and seem much more real in a way. Plus much better character development.

18. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Very quickly becoming one of my faves too. It's been cast extremely well I think, especially the penguin - he does an amazing job with the role.

Dr. Pepper and musicalbeds like this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I couldn't hang with Blacklist but I'm really enjoying Gotham. . . rides the line between serious and surreal well.

Mazzy and musicalbeds like this.
  20. musicalbeds

If they can keep building the show with strong arcs, and a firm eye on the overview of the story, it will be a winner. So far it's been fun to look forward to, much more so than Flash which I'm intrigued by, but not yet riveted like Gotham.

Dr. Pepper and Mazzy like this.
  21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I almost gave up on this after the first few episodes but it's gotten really good. Glad I hung in there.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I wondering if they will show a young Joker.?

23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That last episode was exciting. I haven't really felt any tension in previous episodes, because I know Jim Gordon survives to become Police Commissioner. The last episode was good enough to make me forget that and actually worry for a minute! I love Donal Logue. Anybody remember him as Jimmy The Cab Driver on MTV in the early 90s? Robin Lord Taylor really is stealing the show, though. I never really dug Penguin as a character before this.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  24. tommy-thewho

Fall final was last night.

Easily my fav. new show of the year....

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yep, mine too. Awesome to see Alfred kick some serious behind! I like the Bruce and Selina paradigm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.