Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Phil Lesh & Friends- 10.3.07 Uptown Theater, Kansas City, MO.

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Cheating!

US Blues likes this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cibo Matto Hotel Valentine, most recently, one of the rare times when I listen on Spotify rather than a physical copy. Not sure what to make of it yet as a whole (first time listening, and I'm not very familiar with them in general) but a few tracks really jumped out.

(I'm in an "album club" - 8 guys, an alternating group of 4 of us pick an album each month, the other 4 pick a single track. We all listen several times, write a brief review if we have time, and get together once a month to discuss. Also have the occasional non-album event, like an air hockey/bowling/darts/pinball/pool/free throw/home run derby/cornhole/shuffleboard/table tennis decathalon. Lots of fun and highly recommended if you have a group of friends who might be inclined. Cibo Matto is the first of this month's picks that I've gotten around to checking out.)

Scopitone likes this.
  4. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

it's funny, as a longtime (on again, off again) Deadhead, I find it amazing that most heads are so close-minded musically, just chattering on about the same old, old stuff..Little Feat, Tuna, Airplane, New Orleans music, weak-ass commercial reggae, blah blah...not just the usual suspects on this forum but also my old friends I used to tour with in the eighties, so I suspect a pattern...for me the Dead turned me on to so much music that has over-passed my interest in them, most notably (free) jazz and 60's country music...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Today I am going through the Blackmore's Night discography in full. That and the 'Book of Love' discography.

6. JayB

JayB Senior Member

This weeks non dead in the car...Ramones "Rocket To Russia" Billy Cobham "Stratus" and Stanley Clarke's self titled album.

arcamsono and Scopitone like this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I find that probably about 2/3 of the people I know who are into the Dead unfortunately fall into the camp with narrow overall tastes that you describe (which is weird, given the catholic tasters of the bandmembers themselves). But the other 1/3 or so have very far ranging tastes and are adventurous. Those are the ones worth spending quality time with.

Archtop likes this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Beatles Revolver on request because my 5 and 3 year old daughters wanted to hear Yellow Submarine. Tweedy Sukirae for a second listen last night - really good. iPod on shuffle playing Bowie's Cracked Actor right now. Continuing a break from Spring ' 90, probably going to keep cleansing the palate for another couple days at least before 3/25.

Crimson Witch and Scopitone like this.
  9. Scopitone

Been listening to DeadPod eps all day, so took a break this evening with some Chris Robinson Brotherhood.

Was thinking about maybe some Beatles as I go to sleep. But whoam I kidding? I'll probably just let the GD app on my phone pick a random show.

:p

10. Scopitone

Taking a break this evening with The Troggs. Probably some Yonder Mountain String Band to follow.

Though I'm on the verge of playing either BeBop Deluxe or Ornette Coleman instead.

wavethatflag likes this.
  11. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Guapo--Black Oni
    Ys--Il Balletto di Bronzo
    Small Faces--Odgens Nut Gone Flakes

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I love Mountain Tracks Vol. 3, although it is the only Yonder Mountain I have. I got it from a friend in the mid-00s. He lives in Denver and I think the whole "nu-grass" thing hit pretty hard there. There's some funny as hell stage banter on that one. They're talking about whiskey on a cold night and how it feels like a sweater that you wear on the the inside--a drunk sweater.

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Phish (a bunch of shows I just went to--gotta love the era of the next day live download), pre-Moving Pictures Rush, and a bunch of music that was on a recent Pitchfork "best of the last five years" or something like that list to see if I can discover something brand new (to me) that I like. Currently listening to OK Computer, 2 CD Limited Edition. All the diagnostic apps on my iPhone indicate that I must listen to more space rock.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Crispy Rob and Scopitone like this.
  13. Scopitone

Damn it, I accidentally hit the back button on my phone browser and lost a long post I was writing in response. I don't feel like recomposing it. So here is the short version:

I am almost finished listening to Mountain Stage vol 2, and it's superb - especially the cover of "no expectations", which goes on for 10 minutes.

Also, I discovered yesterday that Widespread Panic played on Halloween night not 15 minutes from my apartment. And all I was doing was sitting at home watching scary movies. I've been meaning to try out that band, and it would've been a perfect opportunity.

How did I find out about the show? The audience recordings started showing up on eTree!

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

This weekend:

David Bowie - Let's Dance
    Slightly Stoopid - Chronchitis
    Heath Brothers - Live at the Public Theater
    Lourde - Pure Heroine
    Duran Duran - Rio
    Outkast - Aquemini
    Ry Cooder - Into the Purple Valley
    Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

I did take a small toke of Merle and Jerry at Keystone to calm the nerves...

rockinlazys and Scopitone like this.
  15. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I'm on an Ian Matthews kick, that guy did a lot in little time after leaving Fairport.

16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Been doing the ten day free trial of LivePhish + revisiting the highlights from the last couple of years. Plus I've played the Halloween Haunted House spooktacular about a dozen times.

Seven Below at the Graham. Sublime.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

18. JBOO

JBOO Forum Resident

Jack Bruce: Songs For A Tailor and Harmony Row.

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.
  19. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Listening to some NPR Performance Today right now. Live performances of classical works, you can stream it online too. One of my fave morning shows.

Scopitone likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Last night I listened in person to Omaha Diner, jazz combo of Charlie Hunter (7 or 8-string guitar that he plays to provide both "bass" and guitar tones), Skerik (sax), Steve Bernstein (trumpet) and Bobby Previtte, the gimmick being that they only play deconstructed versions of Billboard No. 1 pop songs, e.g., Eminem's Lose Yourself, Beyoncé's Single Ladies, G'n'R's Sweet Child O' Mine, Lorde's Royals, Duran Duran's Reflex. Very fun, creative arrangements, great musicianship. And fun to try to guess the songs. Picked up a copy of their only album (vinyl only) and got it signed by 3/4 of the band at the merch table, looking forward to spinning it.

Also gradually making my way through the 6-disc Complete Basement Tapes, and my "album club" (music nerd version of a book club) has selected Mount Salem's Endless (early Sabbath sound with great female lead vocals), Built To Spill's You in Reverse (my pick), and Cheap Trick's s/t, so have been and will be listening to those a few times this month.

Scopitone likes this.
  21. Scopitone

This afternoon, digging on a great aud tape of CRB. I guess that's not too far off The Dead, is it? LOL

[​IMG]

Erik B. and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. Scopitone

Interesting combo. I'll have to que those albums up to stream. I am always down to check out a rawk chick, and I have never heard of that first band.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

rockinlazys likes this.
  24. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Taking a break from DaP12 to enjoy the new 24-96 hi-res Who "Live At Leeds". This thing blows away the previous deluxe edition CDs. Much much better mastering and the Tommy material is in proper show sequence and listenable now. Love how they just rip through the early singles.

25. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Been alternating between the Europe 72 box set and the three recent King Crimson box sets. With some Steve Wilson remasters of Yes and XTC and the new Zeppelin remasters thrown in.