What Is The Big Deal About "A Christmas Story" (1983)?!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky658

ky658 Senior Member Thread Starter

Nine years ago, I was working for a company that basically forced us to watch this movie as part of a "holiday celebration" the day before Christmas Eve. Being born in the era of "Rudolph", The Grinch" etc., I just don't get the attraction to this movie, it seems like a dopey, stupid film that has a cult following with marathons running during the holidays. To me, this is NOT a classic...

groundharp, Andrew, gitters and 23 others like this.
  2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

So... you were at work and getting paid to watch a movie?

A "dopey film with a cult following" could also be used to describe Rudolph and The Grinch, right? It's all relative.

A Christmas Story combines humor & nostalgia and has a lot of elements in it that many people can relate to. I didn't grow up in the 1940's but I can remember going to a department store to see the toy displays and Santa. I remember one or two Christmas's where there was really just one gift I wanted. It's a childhood story told from the perspective of the grown child, of an earlier, simpler time. The holidays, and especially Christmas, can be a time of nostalgia and looking back.

I'm not sure what you dislike about it but I enjoy it.

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

He's afraid he'll shoot his eye out.

4. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Two years ago, the Orpheum theater in Downtown LA ran a 35mm print on a Saturday afternoon. Had never seen the film so... enjoyed it with almost a full house of folk & their kids dressed for the Holidays.

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

He was the blind date!

(Two golden Internets if you get the reference) :)

6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It's a leg!

Dan

SuntoryTime, Sean, JPagan and 2 others like this.
  7. ky658

I've just never understood the manic passion people have for this movie, it's not very funny, IMO.

8. Royce

Royce Senior Member

:laugh::laughup::biglaugh:

9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It's a very warm and cozy film to watch. It looks like something you would see in a run down theater near a mall in 1983.

iggyd, BoogieFish, drufty and 19 others like this.
  10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It's not like it's the most amazing movie in history or anything, but it's funny, clever, and harkens back to a simpler time. It's like the real version of a family at Christmas, not a pristine, sanitized, Hallmark Movie Channel version.

If it doesn't resonate with you, it doesn't resonate with you. Perhaps there's some residual resentment at being forced to watch it, initially?

Now, I do agree with the beat-it-into-the-ground effect that the annual TBS 24-hour marathon has had on the movie. I kinda wish they'd put that on hiatus for a few years.

11. Taste is subjective. I also grew up on Rudolph,Grinch and other Rankin-Bass Holiday style productions and fi d it very amusing. I also liked Olive the Other Reindeer as well.

It takes all sorts of humor to make the world go round so maybe this one just sent your cup of tea.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've never felt the need to upgrade the VHS, since I haven't watched it in decades. I've never agreed with the mass hysteria either.

13. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

My wife looks at me like an alien when I don't "get it". She gets all giddy when they show it all day. Oh well...........

kt66brooklyn, musicfan37 and Myke like this.
  14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I don't really care much for it.

15. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Exactly!

16. ky658

17. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

18. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

My wife and her family all watch Christmas movies every year. I am generally only up for one (I like It's a Wonderful Life).

I have avoided seeing this one so far but I have seen a reproduction leg lamp and BB guns exchanged apparently in homage to this film.

GMfan87', Fullbug and Dude111 like this.
  19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It must be hell for you.

20. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

First time I saw this film, in my early twenties I think, I thought it was such a charming little film with many funny moments, and rather nostalgic for a time long since passed. With repeated viewing it hasn't faired so well and I find it a little corny and forced in places but the highlights still get me watching it again and again at Christmas. So many great bits of dialogue and narration. It's just cute.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love the movie...we watch it every year...IMO it is far from overrated. a beautiful time long gone into oblivion.

22. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

What a goddam depressing grumpy bunch of people.
    I understand the arts being subjective, I understand not connecting with a film ... but hating it?
    It is a very, very well made film.
    Jean Shepherd's wonderfully written and delivered narration (his voice is perfect).
    Darren McGavin also perfectly cast, a little long in the tooth to have these little kids and this younger wife.
    Cranky, a bit exhausted and just wants some of that turkey.

A kid's perspective through his adult eyes. Not a false note or a bit of cynicism.
    How refreshing is that?
    Shot on a budget and benefits from it. A big Hollywood production wouldn't have been nearly as good.
    Bob Clark used the success and money he made on "Porky's" to make the film he had long wanted to make.
    It's nearly perfect and if you don't dig it fine ... it's your loss.
    You can always watch "The Santa Claus" or "Jingle All the Way".

How the critics view it ...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1004151-christmas_story/

23. Michael

yes, his want and desire for a Red Rider BB gun! watch it you may like it...just shut out the negativity.

24. Michael

geez, the kid just wants a BB gun!...what's not to get? something quite normal back then...Boys will be boys...what kid wouldn't want one from that that era! But, as said in the movie and in real life..I too was told It'll PUT YOUR EYE OUT!?

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My wife and I both saw parts of our fathers in 'the old man'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.