Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality, artwork, etc.: "All Alone" - 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2014.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I recall an exchange with @paulmock from two or three years back in which I confessed that I have holes in my Sinatra/Reprise knowledge that anybody could drive a large truck through. It's true, folks. Well, All Alone is an album that I have literally never heard, not even once, ever, in any mix, any format, under any circumstance. It has managed to escape my ears for all these years. (All I've ever heard, as far as I can recall, is the sampling in the 4-CD The Reprise Collection from 1990. There may have been another track on some compilation album, but nothing comes to mind.)

Today I was at a place called Star Center (Antique) Mall in Snohomish, WA, and on the bottom floor there is one particular vendor there who always has a metal rack with a few (5 or 6?) LP sitting on the rack, and they are always Sinatra LPs, always in very good shape, and there are no other albums there, ever. The only records they ever sell are Sinatra records, and just a few -- but a few good ones! Today, they had a super-clean R-1007 A4/B2 mono LP of All Alone, and since this is the next album coming down the pike in our ongoing Sinatra review, I snagged it for $7.50, and plan on getting to know this album via this and the never-played "suitcase" tracks.

Comparisons will be a ways off still, but if you have other versions and can share clips, please send a PM and we can start cobbling together a comparison page. How about if we just use the first track for each side, so "All Alone" and "Oh, How I Miss You Tonight?" Sound like a plan?

Again, all I have is this mono LP and the suitcase CD, so I'm counting on a lot of help with this one, which will be greatly appreciated, of course. I can't do this, um.......all alone. (Groan......)

Consider discussion to be officially open on this one!

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

A buried gem among the Sinatra catalogue. I adore this record. I just wish Mr. S hadn't pulled the plug on the "Come Waltz with Me" theme...obviously distancing himself from the Capitol catalogue. And, I will say it right now up front. This album for some reason had a big following amongst the homosexual community way long before Gay Liberation of the late 60's. Interesting,no? Winner of the LP for me is "Remember". No other earthly being could do what he did with his delivery of the tune.

3. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

One of the best from Reprise. Each track is hauntingly beautiful, my favorite is The Girl Next Door. And I'm glad the CD included Come Waltz With Me.

If you need samples, I have the Reprise CD. For LP, I have the same R-1007 A4/B4.

Artur Torres and rangerjohn like this.
  4. MLutthans

Do you know if the CD matches the suitcase tracks? (And thanks for the offer.)

5. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

I've never compared the two.

6. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I have the original 1992 CD with the bonus track 'Come Waltz With Me'
    it was mastered by Lee Herschberg so probably is not the same mastering
    as the suitcase version.

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That doesn't follow. The suitcase was mastered by Lee Herschberg.

I'll try to do a comparison of the All Alone CD with the suitcase tracks later today...

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

From the thread, Frank Sinatra: The Reprise Years (38-Disc Box Set from UMG) ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So does anyone know the answer to the artist question?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    rangerjohn, MMM and rxcory like this.
  9. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I don't have the suitcase version so didn't know that Lee Herschberg mastered both.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Many of the 1995 suitcase tracks are from the same digital masterings as the earlier individual CD issues, but there are exceptions. Most were mastered originally by Lee Herschberg.

mikrt17 likes this.
  11. wave

wave Forum Resident

A general online search ("painter Weber") comes up initially with Max Weber, but he died in 1961 and was a Cubist. (Of course, the painting could predate the album.)

Also, the oblong composition makes me think the painting wasn't originally intended to be an album cover.

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It could have been used on an old CD "long box"...that would have been a cool promo. no?

CBackley, MLutthans and wave like this.
  13. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I think it's a lovely album, full of old '20s standards (mostly Berlin, but some others as well). I understand that it was a commercial failure at the time, which is probably why it has been relegated to obscurity over the years. I've got the 1992 CD with the bonus track "Come Waltz With Me." I read on one of the Sinatra forums that the song was recorded during the same sessions and originally intended for the album, but Frank was unhappy with it, and decided to leave it off.

As far as the painting, if you look closely at the CD book, you can read the name "Weber" (as others have already stated). That's it though, no idea who Weber was, and Google has turned up nothing. :shrug:

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I was sure you could tell from the hairpiece, Mark. ;)

wave likes this.
  15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's been reported that FS scrapped the tune because Cahn and Van Heusen offered it also to Steve Lawrence, who had a hit with it in 1962, before the Sinatra album was released.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This was the first Reprise album in the same vein as the great Capitol "suicide" LPs like Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely and No One Cares. I was always touched by daughter Nancy's comment:

Jarleboy, Jimmy Jam, NorCal and 10 others like this.
  17. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

One of my favorite early Reprise LP's.
    It has been said that FS wanted to do a album in Waltz time signatures to take advantage of
    of his emotional tentativeness.

18. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

It has also been speculated that he decided against "Come Waltz With Me" as the title song as he didn't want another lawsuit with Capitol like the one over "Swing Along With Me".

Bob F likes this.
  19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

He could have included the song and not used it as the album title, but he dropped it altogether.

rangerjohn likes this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It does: I just listened and compared waveforms. They're a near-exact match. Of course, you should reorder the tracks on Disc 3 of the suitcase, for the proper effect.

[Edit:] BTW, the recent (2011) UMG reissue is identical to the original (1992) Reprise CD, except that the bonus track has been removed along with the extra page of new liner notes by James Isaacs.

21. MLutthans

Regarding the painting: The sweater/collar combination, as well as the style and amount of hair, remind me of the photos from the Tone Poems of Color LP, and, in turn, one of those photos was used for the Where Are You cover painting, which also showed Sinatra donning sweater and exposed collar, not a style with which Mr. Sinatra is typically associated. (Hey, Bob....what is Frank wearing in your avatar?)

Artur Torres likes this.
  22. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

He isn't wearing a hairpiece in the "Tone Poems/Where Are You" photos. He is in the "All Alone" portrait. Still he doesn't look like Sinatra in the "All Alone" painting. He looks like Dick Cavett.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I always thought more along the lines of Tommy Smothers!

25. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident