PONO Hands-on Review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Someone very close to the project allowed me to play with and listen to the device in their car, today. It is everything I want in a music player. Durable. Easy to navigate. Feels great in your hand. Sits on a flat surface with ease. The hi-rez files made his stock car stereo sound like a high-end system. Staggering clarity and punch at high volumes. Loved it.

2. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Sounds good but I'm a bit curious how you can judge durability after playing with something briefly in a car?

marknoir, lv70smusic and Huck Caton like this.
  4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I have serious doubts about this statement. If the stereo system is the bottleneck, why would hi-res files suddenly make it sound great?

5. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I have to agree with Luicdae. I don't doubt the OP's claim but if the stock stereo sounded that much better, than it would be less to do with HiRes and more to do with the mastering of the music.

6. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

High res media player reviewed in a ... car? :wtf:

[​IMG]

7. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Sometimes music sounds best in a car.

8. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Sometimes Mc Donalds taste awesome too.

Wes H, dmckean, goodiesguy and 6 others like this.
  9. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

and Oz never did give nothin' to the tin man that he didn't, didn't already have.

Vidiot, FritzL, readingm and 2 others like this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Hi Neil! :laugh:

11. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Probably the perfect place to review it - if you watch the Pono hype video, that's where Neil demoed the player for his musician friends.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The problem here is that people are attacking Bowie Fett without providing constructive comments. I know it is popular to trash Pono, but help Bowie Fett and everyone else out. You read his review. What in your "expert opinion" is needed for you to better appreciate, and maybe even accept, his views on the player?

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Should he drop it off a roof? I don't think it's hard for someone to quickly get a feel for whether a portable device is solid or flimsy in terms of construction. People regularly comment about the build quality of a home audio component. They aren't running up and down the steps with it, throwing it the air and catching it, or even dropping it to test the build quality.

mds, Tim 2, jerico and 3 others like this.
  14. motionoftheocean

You're giving very extreme examples as opposed to knowing if something is "durable" beyond playing with a device owned by someone else for a matter of minutes.

Huck Caton likes this.
  15. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Sure he's had limited exposure to the device. But his impression of the device is very positive in that limited expsure.

Take this for what it is worth. I find it much, much more meaningful than anything from the Negative Nelies ( or is it Negative Neilies?) on this bound who seem to relish the opportunity to knock Pono, a product they have not seen or heard.

Why not reserve judgement until you've seen and heard the product yourself. Or, if you have no interest, simply do not comment.

But, of course, haters gonna hate. Complainers gonna complain and take every conceivable negative shot at something they haven't seen or heard.

Is ther actually anyone out there who has SEEN and HEARD a Pono and have negative comments. Anyone?

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

So, one person experiences Pono firsthand and is attacked by those who didn't. Sad.

17. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Trabbi!!

18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

No offense to the OP, but they opened themselves up to these comments by writing a glowing review, rather than an objective one.

morinix likes this.
  19. motionoftheocean

Ew

Of course, it could be deemed reasonable to want a bit more solid proof of something's quality and utility before dropping $400 on yet another portable music player - but then again, why attempt to discuss something like an adult when you can just use Taylor Swift lyrics

GuinnessDan likes this.
  20. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

What is the stock system you heard the Pono thru and how was it connected? I'm seriously curious.

rockclassics likes this.
  21. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Taylor Swift???? I don't know any Taylor Swift lyrics. So anything relating to him (her?) is purely coincidental.

So you are considering buying a Pono?
    What durability specifications would you like to see? Bullet -proof would be nice.

(sure, admittedly the OPs review was little more than a first impression, but that does not mean it does not hold some value)

Licorice pizza and Aftermath like this.
  22. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Cue music snobs enter stage left :rolleyes:

Jerod and Grant like this.
  23. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Yet again a load of losers have to be cynical about a product they have not touched , felt or heard. Even I haven't heard it but I wouldn't be so arrogant to slate it without experience. I remember someone way back in 1986 telling me to buy stands with spikes on them instead of them on castors. I was skeptical but he was right.

xyzzynh, Licorice pizza, PBo and 4 others like this.
  24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Hahahahahahha!

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree. This is a legit question and a requirement to know in roger to accurately judge the review. A top of the line system vs. a factory system could make a huge difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.