My new Line Magnetic 216IA Integrated Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

These sound great with Devore speakers...

2. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Yeah I auditioned it with Devore 3xls and was blown away. Then played it through Dynaudio Focus 160s, and actually liked them better! In the end though I think I will go with full size speakers. Going to save for a while and audition more before making a decision.

3. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Lovely

5. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Yes, I think the Orangutans might be what I'm after, ultimately. Though, I won't be able to afford them for quite some time.

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I stuck some old Mullard 12AX7's and RCA 12BH7A's in mine and it brought out some better sounds than the stock tubes.

7. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Yeah I'm sure I will get more into tube rolling down the line. The dealer recommended Gold Lion KT-88s.

8. MorbidToaster

MorbidToaster Well-Known Member

Yes they do.

I auditioned Devore, Zu, and Harbeth recently when picking speakers (ended up with Harbeths) and while the Devore was my least favorite it was easily the best sounding with the Line Magnetic gear.

I was looking at the 218 and my current Leben was a pretty easy pick over it with the Harbeths, but man...those Devores sounded wonderful with the 218.

If I ever build a second system I could see owning some lower end Devores with some Line gear. Flawless with Jazz. Just stunning.

tl;dr - You've got the synergy nailed with this combo.

Edit: And considering you're also running a GTA and Dyna P75 I'd say you're set for awhile. ;)

LeeS likes this.
  9. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

So my LM 216IA seems to be popping only in the right channel every once in a while. The right channel also fluctuates in volume just slightly after the popping sound. Once the tubes cool down, I'm planning to switch left and right to see if it's definitely the tubes that are the source of the problem.

Is this a common thing among tube amps? This is my first.

10. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have not had any problems with my amp at all. I suggest calling ILS and asking them what they think.

11. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

I plan on it.
    After swapping the KT88s from right to left, I noticed one of them wasn't registering on the bias meter. So I'm pretty sure that one is the problem.

Eroka, have you upgraded your KT88s yet? I just ordered a set of Gold Lions, which I've been meaning to do for a while now anyway.

12. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I've been using Gold Lion KT88s almost since I first bought the amp. Absolutely satisfied with them.

13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I've got a problem with mine now. I just got it on a sea shipment from China (all my stuff) . I plugged it in today and all was fine and after 15 minutes I checked the bias and it was fine, then after 45 minutes I check again and Tube #1 bias was very hard to turn and the bias meter doesn't move. I turned it off and switched tubes around and the bias meter is okay at start up but after a minute or two it stops working again. Bias adjustment #1 is very hard to turn. Any ideas?

14. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Nevermind. It was a tube. I don't know why bias 1 is hard to turn.

15. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Direct your questions to your dealer or to Tone Imports. I'm sure they can and will help.

16. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I just purchased this amp a few weeks ago. Was able to demo with a fantastic setup, WTA turntable w EMT Cart, Devore Orangutans 96. I am extremely happy with my decision. Bested my very good Mcintosh vintage setup (which I promptly sold), and brought me into serious audio bliss!
    Now I need to replace what I had in the McIntosh C33 which was had an excellent mm phono stage! Thanks for the observations in this thread, it encouraged me to go and give the LM stuff a listen.

IanL and sambamaster like this.
  17. If you can swing it, the LM 219ia is truly badass in look and sound. I wanted to buy one to put in my imaginary second room. :)

I just ordered their LM 515cd player. Great stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IanL and bhazen like this.
  18. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Is the 515 in stock or how long until you get it.

19. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Well, I don't have either money or space for the lm219 - though everyone seems to agree it's a fantastic amp. To be honest I am quite happy for the time being with the LM 216, it may have a modest price tag, but it excels in so many ways!

I dont play cds at all, but If I did you can bet their CD players would top my list.

sambamaster likes this.
  20. I was told it could be gotten quickly, but didn't ask about a specific date. Dealer is bringing my new speakers the week after next. I'm assuming this will come with it or will get shipped separately if he doesn't have it yet.

You thinking about getting one?

21. Tlay

Tlay Forum Resident

Brian,
    I am in the market for a decent CD player. Although I listen to vinyl about 80% of the time I have about 3000 CDs that could use some love and a lot isn't available on vinyl. What do you like about the Line Magnetic? What did you replace it with? I'm just using a playstation 1 right now. I want something low maintenance so diving into computor audio makes my head spin. The LM is intriguing.

22. LH5

LH5 Well-Known Member

Art has already been there, done that, and sent the 515 back due to some quality issues. He has moved to a Marantz SA8005 for now.

23. Honestly, I didn't have a chance to listen to it. I listen to vinyl 90% of the time and stream Rdio via my Sonos the rest. Haven't listened to a CD in forever, but keep finding albums I want that are crazy expensive on vinyl, but cheap on CD.

I wanted to try a tube based CD player and the LM seemed like a great fit for my needs. I wasn't going to spend a bunch of time auditioning different pieces or stressing over the decision for something that represents a small fraction of my listening. All of the LM stuff I've heard has been top notch to my ears and enormous value for the price.

I guess if I'm not happy with the LM, I'll just sell it but I doubt that will happen.

24. What were the quality issues?

25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Never knew that they got more affordable amps on offer. By chance I just read a rave review on their new 845 based LM 218 Integrated Amp in the new STEREOPLAY and they gave it high remarks. Must be a wonderful sounding item if paired with the right speakers. The 845's only put out 5.5 / 8 watts )1 % distortion( but can be pushed higher 12715 watts ( 60 hertz burst). As we all know the first watts count and the 845's are true magic anyway. The downside is the price - 4.800 Euro
    The amp you got can be used with a wider range of speakers and is not that far from what I am willing to invest on the next amp I buy- But I am not in a hurry - still like my MF M3i but a Tube amp got the magical effect, that I beliee the musicians are actually playing in my room ..
    Here are snaps from the 845 based LM 218IA

and the amazing 2LM 2118 Minio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfJgkmwS0OU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.