Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Finally getting to this box, now playing CD1 for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  2. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Haydn: Symphonies Nos 82 & 87 BP/Karajan

[​IMG]

Mik, Bachtoven and bluemooze like this.
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Great performances; less than stellar mastering. I believe the outside of the box made some reference to a remastering, but such is not the case. It is the Essential Classics mastering from the 1990's. It's too bad as some of the subsequent remastering Sony did for Szell really disclosed what was on the tape.

4. john greenwood

What's more, it was a free ticket. She sounded a bit gimmicky. The recital got a mixed review in the Times.

I have a subscription to the Y's Keyboard Artists series this season. Denk last night, Biss in January, Hamelin in February, Lugansky[?] in March.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I find the cover of that Warner CD very interesting.They are resurrecting the Angel logo,as it appeared on the later LPs in the 80s,and they have it positioned much like the thrift and UK export covers from the early 1950s.I need to put on the 1981 HvK Berlin LP of the Sibelius 2 since I have that handy.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  6. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Must be nice to have a local record store that sells stuff like this.I bought a copy on Amazon a few weeks ago that's still in my "to play" pile.

Here is where it was recorded.
    http://www.emil-berliner-studios.com/en/meistersaal.html

7. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I found it at Princeton Record Exchange. Believe me, I was surprised to find it in the new release pile :) I'm probably one of three that actually have been anticipating this .
    Thanks for the additional info!

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Her performances are usually excellent.

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

OK, here's a different take on Vivaldi's The Four Seasons! Leonid Desyatnikov’s arrangement of Piazzolla's work adds a few quotes from Vivaldi's classic:

[​IMG]

The Ginastera is mind-blowingly intense--probably not to all tastes. Goliov's work is closer in spirit to Piazzola. The perspective is from the front row, or even on stage, but the sound is not dry at all, just vividly present.

Mik, bluemooze and SquaRoots like this.
  11. john greenwood

I have an album titled "Eight Seasons" that includes both the Vivaldi and the Piazzolla. The violinist is Gidon Kremer.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I owned that at one point then sold it. Is it also the Desyatnikov arrangement? I mainly bought the disc for the Ginastera, but the other two works are growing on me.

13. woosh1956

woosh1956 Forum Resident

I've been enjoying the multi-disc "original jacket" compilations that Sony has been releasing (Horowitz, Entremont, Graffman, Stokowski, etc.) Is there any way to find out what is already available in this series and what is to be released in the future? If this has been answered elsewhere please direct me to that answer - thanks!

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Some of the Monteux/SFSO recordings were made by sending the microphone pickup over telephone lines from SF to LA!

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have several on either CD or LP & thought they were fine.

16. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Slightly controversial comment maybe, but I dislike all the Karajan recordings except the Roussel symphonies. When I started collecting, I got one of his Beethoven symphonies boxes, then the next account of the pastoral I heard was so much more insightful, so much more intensely beautiful that I started to listen again to the lps by him, and found them mainly lifeless and over polished. I prefer mixed sets of large bodies of work like the Haydn quartets, Sonatas & Symphonies (even the switch between modern instruments and period), the variety adds to the pleasure, but there is not one single classical work that I love that I would have a Karajan version in the top five of.

drh likes this.
  17. john greenwood

It is. It was a gift, and I haven't played it often. I may spin it today.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Handel - Rinaldo" performed by the Freiburger Barockorchester led by Rene Jacobs on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SquaRoots and Mik like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Mahler: Symphony 9 - Herbert von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - DG (1982)

[​IMG]

HowardLive, Moonfish, ToddBD and 3 others like this.
  20. coopmv

Just think about all the static on the phone lines that got picked up. Stay away from such recordings ... :agree:

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Piano Sonata 23, Op.57 - Claudio Arrau - 11 CDs, Philips; disc 8

[​IMG]

Robin L, Bachtoven, Soulpope and 3 others like this.
  22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Dmitri Shostakovich – Symphonies Nos.1 Op.10 & No.6 Op.54
    — New York Philharmonic — Leonard Bernstein (Sony Classics)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mik and john greenwood like this.
  23. coopmv

I wonder how the Philips box compares with the following box, which I have in my collection?

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I guess your box uses the same masterings and is just a repackaging.

25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Loped off high and low frequencies would be more of a problem. I wasn't around back then, but I don't remember static in phones in the 60s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.