Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

No, Stuart's Decca box uses the 24 bit remastering from the box that preceded it, the Philips box with the concertos. Yours has the original mastering.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, I see. So my guess was wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

3. George P

No problem.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Any marked differences in sound quality between the 2 masterings as far as you know?

5. George P

The last time I checked they were close.

6. George P

You can sample the first minute in both masterings here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wwuqbs

The first 55 seconds is the mastering you have, the rest is the remaster.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks, but my computer speakers are way too crappy (they cost me under 10 euros the pair years ago...) to do a proper comparison.

8. George P

You're welcome.

I compared on my stereo (I never compare on my computer speakers either) and the original mastering sounds more open on top to me. The remaster sounds a bit muffled and some of the room ambiance is missing.

IMO, you own the best mastering available for this set.

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

To be clear, this is the best sounding version?

[​IMG]

10. George P

No, this is:

[​IMG]

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

YIKES! There are two copies available on Amazon: one sells for $639.99 and the other for $1011.53!! :eek: Do those prices include a seance and live performance by him?

Has anyone heard this version?

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This is pretty common on analog phone lines ...

13. coopmv

I listen to music on my computer from time to time. I still prefer the big sound of a conventional stereo system ... :righton:

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This kind of music no longer appeals to me, so I put this disc up for sale on Amazon!

[​IMG]

15. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

NP...perfect for this blustery, frigid evening. Sorry the pic is so big...
    [​IMG]

Moonfish, Robin L, Mik and 3 others like this.
  16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Change the "s1600" in the link to "s600" to resize it:

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  17. drh

drh Talking Machine

Actually, sending audio by telephone line was more common than you might think, particularly in the early days of electric recording. Remember, recording equipment was big, heavy, and temperamental--it wasn't a matter of packing a couple of mikes and a few reels of tape. Everything was direct to disk, so recording meant having a recording lathe, enough wax blanks to cover the expected recording time in 4-minute increments plus any extra takes, an oven to keep the blanks warm until they went onto the lathe (if you've ever heard a 78 develop a high-pitched whistle toward the end, that's a sign the blank wasn't warm enough when put on the lathe), heavy tube electronics (no transistors in those days), and on and on. Far easier, cheaper, and probably more reliable to rent a high quality dedicated line from the phone company and send the signal from a remote location to a central studio.

As I'm recalling things, the recording of Beethoven's Ninth Sym. led by Albert Coates in the year after electric recording made its debut was recorded in three different locations with the signal sent to two different studios via telephone line over the course of several days. For that matter, I think the experimental high-fidelity and stereo recordings by Stokowski from the '30s involved piping the signal from Philadelphia to Camden via telephone lines.

18. George P

Or better yet, 400:

[​IMG]

John S and ToddBD like this.
  19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

1600 is for pipe organs (and 0.2 is for clavichords)

20. coopmv

I think every man and his cousin who is into baroque has this recording, myself included ...

ToddBD likes this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

It won't be long until Neil Young records an album over phone lines. "Phoning It In" will take on a new meaning.

22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Nope. I have 8 versions of the Goldberg Variations (including harpsichord, piano, harp and guitar) but not that one.

23. George P

I don't have it either. I have a number of piano recordings and one for harpsichord by Gilbert.

24. George P

FYI, I just was looking through my Schnabel Mozart CDs and discovered that Pearl (GEM 0104) contains the last two movements of D 845 from a 1945 Armed Forces Radio Service Series broadcast. He plays manically in the finale.

25. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

[​IMG]
    Looking forward to this one for next year. Where available they have used the original 3-track masters. Odyssey LPs dropped the center channel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.