Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Returning to some nice piano pieces.
    I chose an album from my DGG shelves once again, an LP in the fabulous Debut series:

[​IMG]

IIRC Ciani died tragically at 33 in a car accident.

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting! Thanks for the tip.

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

And oh, by the way, if you want speed demon Schubert, that Ray Lev account of the C Major sta. is positively frantic.

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks anyway. I like my Schubert ruminative.

5. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the gorgeous playing found in the above CD. amazon link

Here's a sample:

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I was listening to the Roge set over the weekend.

Mik likes this.
  7. George P

A great set! Have you heard Tacchino's Poulenc?

8. john greenwood

I don't think anyone responded this, primarily because I don't know if anyone has the answer. Sony (along with pretty much every other major label) has been producing mega-boxes in droves - the rate is astonishing. They have found a variety of ways to package them - some are budget, others are deluxe. A number of the deluxe boxes include the original jackets. From Sony, I have Rubinstein and Perahia with original jackets. I also have couple of sets from Deutsche Harmonia Mundi (a Sony subsidiary) with original jackets. But then my Bruno Walter box is another deluxe set but with themed jackets (like the Bernstein boxes).

There is a classical mega-box thread, where you may learn more. There is a lot of discussion of the label self-celebration boxes (the Living Stereo, Living Presence, DG, Decca boxes etc.). For the most part those have original jackets (with a bit of license).

woosh1956, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  9. john greenwood

I have not.

10. George P

It's a lot of fun.

11. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

True, but no shipping costs is only to addresses in the same country as the seller (amazon.de, amazon.fr etc,). So we - you & I - pay more (or is there amazon.nl?).

12. john greenwood

That one's not on Spotify, but they have recordings of his Satie, Ravel, Debussy and Chopin.

13. George P

I've only heard his Poulenc. He actually studied with the composer and was the only pianist to do so.

14. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Beautifull! I put it immediately at my wish list. Amazing how many great classical music albums are to get for a newbie like me.

I think I purchased allready 100 cds/SACDs of classical music, for a big part by all these Classical Music Corner threads here at this site, of which I've all read in the last four months of time. And then you sometimes think I know - more or less - all important composers and then there is suddenly a 'new one' (didn't know Poulenc at all) with a great performance you have to get...

I can't say it enough: thanks to you all! And let more fine suggestions come! :)

(Ps: please, more suggestions suggestions for pieces with chamber orchestras!)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Mik and bluemooze like this.
  15. George P

My pleasure!

You are in for a treat! Poulenc's music is both beautiful and a lot of fun!

For a less expensive and more thorough coverage, this set (pictured below) is a great choice. It features the pianist I just mentioned above, Tacchino, who was the only pianist to study with the composer. I believe this has led to him having special insight into this composer, His interpretations, which sound unlike those of other pianists, shows this.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

vanhooserd, Mik and Echo like this.
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Is anybody else not seeing SquaRoots' images? :confused:

17. George P

I can't see it either.

18. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I purchase a lot of classical music at French Amazon where it is a lot cheapier to get classical music (really, don't know why). Often even for you living outside Europe (yes, shipping costs included). Sometimes I'm reading here about OOP cds which you call very expensive to get (like say more than $100 at Amazon.com), but which I find for around £10-15 at French Amazon.

So here is my reward for you all: go more often to French Amazon or I will have soon the biggest collection of classical music of you all :)

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Being in the Netherlands I do pay shipping, unless I place an order worth 30 euros or more on Amazon Germany; in that case shipping is free.

There is an Amazon.nl, but they only sell books.

jukes likes this.
  20. john greenwood

One of my very favorites.

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Serenades-Strings-Winds-Opp/dp/B00000E31D
    Orpheus is pretty reliable. I have a nice box set of the Mozart wind concertos by the.
    You should also consider the Neville Mariner box. (I don't own it.)

21. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Thanks John, put it at my 'to-listen-list', but I should have mentionned I LOVE piano and strings (into symph. orch. and especially chamber orch.), but am not really into winds (and choirs)...

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Had". Not that there's anything wrong with Pinnock's Goldbergs, but I tend to have stuff go in and out of the collection. I suspect I wore out this recording, at least in terms of being able to listen to it again. Right now I've got Scott Ross' quirky rendition on harpsichord, on Virgin classics.

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Philippe De Vitry - Motets & Chansons" performed by Sequentia on DHM.

[​IMG]

24. john greenwood

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Comple...r=1-1&keywords=mozart perahia piano concertos

I have both an earlier and a later release, so I cannot speak to the mastering.

In case you have never heard Mozart's Clarinet Concerto - one of his most sublime masterpieces - check it out. You may have to re-evaluate your attitude toward winds.

John S, Mik, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Sonatas 28, Op.101 and 29, Op.106 from this set.

Soulpope, Mik and Robin L like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.