Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks for your recommendations everyone!
    Ah, the anti-fashist in me has a hard time dabbling in Wagner already, and now you ask me to go straight for a Karajan recording? :eek: Just kidding ;), no offence to fans of Wagner and Karajan here. And even our Host once started a thread about this one, because he agrees with you on the Tristan und Isolde.

At the moment I consider the Levine, since it has all the pieces I look for and can be had cheap. I found that my streaming service has all three (Karajan, Levine, Klemperer), so I will give them all a listen and decide which makes the most sense for me.
    I know how much you love your Furtwängler, but I'm still not ready for historical mono recordings. Sorry. :hide:
    But I will have a look at the others, maybe I can find them on my streaming service them too.
    Next thing I will tell you Americans what the Blues is all about. :laugh:

Robin L likes this.
  2. John S

John S Forum Resident

I have enjoyed Shchedrin's Basso Ostinato by another pianist. I would love to hear the composer's version.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/classical-music-corner-thread-21.239330/page-12#post-6179501

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following LP from my Schumann collection. This is the best image I can find ...

[​IMG]

Mik, EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  4. coopmv

I have the following box by Jorge Bolet. What is your opinion on this box?

[​IMG]

5. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Note that there is another CD of Levine's (www.amazon.com/Wagner-Overtures-Preludes-Richard/dp/B000001GH5/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1416667954&sr=8-6)

And maybe you should also sample Haitink with the Concertgebouw, magnificent playing and recording quality (http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Opera-...FI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1416667737&sr=8-18), but again, no ring excerpts.

6. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I just saw that thread, and Steve is absolutely right. The intensity and the richness of the sound of the orchestra is just overwhelming. You won't find such climaxes as on the Tristan pieces anywhere else- the violins at the end of the Liebestod, or the brass in the Lohengrin prelude must be heard to be believed. So if you personally don't mind HVK, this is the version you should get. Levine is great on the Ring and Parsifal excerpts, but if you are mainly interested in the Tristan pieces then there's nothing like the Karajan.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  7. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my Wagner collection ...

[​IMG]

Mik, wolfram and EasterEverywhere like this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Dufay - Missa Ecce ancilla Domini" performed by Ensemble Gilles Binchois on Virgin Veritas.

[​IMG]

Moonfish, Soulpope, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  9. coopmv

Vellard is fabulous for early choral music (or shall I say polyphony?) ... :righton::agree:

bluemooze likes this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Ok, we are out of space in this thread. :wave:

Let's continue here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.