Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #63)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

No, Gould claimed for a long time that Orlando Gibbons was a musical soulmate and I believe him.

Mik likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Time for some early music, now playing the following CD from my Dufay collection ...

[​IMG]

SquaRoots, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  3. coopmv

I read somewhere that Gould had also claimed Rosalyn Tureck was her soulmate as both were well-known for their interpretations of JS Bach keyboard works, though Rosalyn no doubt did not hum along ... LOL

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Never owned it, but heard much praise (some of it here). Finally checked it out on Spotify this week.

5. john greenwood

By the way, what do you think of Shawn's music? One of the rarer albums in my collection is a quasi opera/play called "The Music Teacher." The libretto is by his brother, Wallace Shawn. I also saw it twice.

6. coopmv

Looks like I have the recording in the Original Jacket 80-CD box I bought back in 2007 ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. drh

drh Talking Machine

You know, up until fairly recently I would have agreed 100%, and I'd say I still agree at least 80% or so. Certainly his Chopin, for all his undeniable technique and the acclaim it's garnered, strikes me as cold and hard and uninviting. On the basis of unsystematic exposure on the radio, however, I've come to the conclusion that he is much more satisfying in Beethoven. Beethoven's music is roughhewn and sturdy enough to profit from Pollini's kind of power. I don't know that he'd be my first choice, but I can listen to his Beethoven with pleasure, which is something I have never been able to say about his Chopin.

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

His live Beethoven sonata recordings and his recordings of the late sonatas are indeed excellent. I agree completely about his Chopin.

9. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Funny, but I really like Karajan's Concerti Grossi. The beauty of the orchestral sonority and the musicality make up for the mediocrity of the music, it's one of the few recordings that can hold my attention in this music. His Brandenburgs though are indeed way too slow and heavy to my taste (both early and late).

10. coopmv

I can easily find up to a half dozen recordings of the Handel 12 Concerti Grossi Op. 6 that can trounce the performance by the BPO/Karajan, albeit most of these recordings were made by HIP ensembles. These Handel's works also are not mediocre baroque works and are certainly of higher caliber than most other baroque works except the best from JS Bach ...

11. coopmv

Now playing CD6 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

People have different tastes. I've yet to hear a Handel work that does much for me. Some of the choruses are OK. I can't stand any solo vocal work I've heard and I can take or leave his orchestral works.

13. john greenwood

Starting the morning with Monteverdi. My copy is from the DHM Italian Baroque Music box.

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  14. john greenwood

On to the Freiburger Barockorchester performing Zavateri (definitely a new name for me).

15. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Enjoying this fine performance of Mahler 3 this morning...
    [​IMG]

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Arcangelo Corelli – Christmas Concerto & Sonatas After Concerti Grossi Opus VI
    — Pierre Hantai — Le Concert Français (Naïve)

[​IMG]

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm not hip to Shawn's music but I will have to check it out.

18. john greenwood

If you do, then unless you are a fan of Wallace Shawn's stage plays (as I am), I would not recommend starting with The Music Teacher which falls somewhere between a play and an opera. Its world premiere was by a theatre company I am involved with.

A former girlfriend of mine who knew Allen Shawn through their mutual involvement with the Chamber Music Conference of the East gave me this album as a gift.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-c...-donald-crockett-and-allen-shawn-mw0001417647

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Goldberg Variations" performed by Kenneth Gilbert on Harmonia Mundi France.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and Robin L like this.
  20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The only Wallace Shawn production I think Iever saw was the translation of The Threepenny Opera he did for the Roundabout Theater production in 2006 which I have to admit it wasn't my cup of tea, though I'm not sure that was down to the translation.

21. john greenwood

I saw it as well (actually the dress rehearsal). It was pretty wild. Brecht and Weill have been described as the original Glimmer Twins, and I think Scott Elliott, the director, wanted to capture that sensibility.

Full disclosure - Scott is the artistic director of our theatre company. And he has done some outstanding work including our current show.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/t...man-in-david-rabes-sticks-and-bones.html?_r=0

And a Wallace Shawn play he directed:

http://www.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=9c00e6d9173ff93aa25751c1a9659c8b63

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Whoa...when two masters of their respective styles unite, sparks fly! Excellent sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik, John S, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  23. coopmv

IIRC, mine has a different CD cover ...

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, I got the concept, but it was just too campy, and a bit theater-of-the-ridiculous-y in how gigantically broad it was, for my taste.

25. coopmv

Hantai is an outstanding harpsichordist of his generation - the French seem to produce an endless stream of outstanding keyboardists over the years. I have too many singles by Hantai for this box to do me any good ... :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.