The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Just got word from Waterfront that the Further Deeper vinyl release is "held up further at manufacture and it’s now looking to be released during January."

stenway likes this.
  2. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Yes, I just received notice as well.

3. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Shame that there's no Northern California dates.

Hopefully the setlist will be very diverse and not entire albums.

4. Suedebelly

Suedebelly Forum Resident

Actually, there is a San Francisco date - February 26th at the Chapel - part of the Noise Pop festival

5. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

They are playing The Chapel in San Francisco on February 26th as part of the Noise Pop fest; tickets went on sale last Friday.

1970 and ian christopher like this.
  6. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I saw the band on Friday in Melbourne performing an instrumental set along with a screening of the Jean Cocteau film The Blood of A Poet (a "surrealist" film from the 1930s). The 60min set flowed really well with a series of peaks and troughs throughout the performance and a few recurring musical motifs. It was weird seeing the band perform in a cinema, but I'm really glad I made the effort to attend (during a brief visit to Melbourne).

HDManiac, ad180 and 1970 like this.
  7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

is "Bus Driver" song incluided in the latest "of Skins and Heart" CD reissue a Needle Drop? sounds like... what you think???

The Church – Busdriver

by the way, that is the only miss song on Hindsight singles compilation, why? dont fit in the double lp? the band dont want added? masters dont exist? ... I dont know but is a great track, killer riff!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  8. ian christopher

I've bought "Hindsight" 3 times over the years, replacing it everytime one of the discs became scratched/pinhole ridden. What an incredible comp!!!

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

on vinyl? scratch?

I got lucky getting a new vinyl unplayed/archive copy for $40 I think price is good, I have other to play, great compilation, I love the liner notes of each song by Steve K.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Played their amazing cover of NY's "Cortez The Killer" loudly in the car today!

nsmith1002 likes this.
  11. ian christopher

Double cd :)

12. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

I've bought Further-Deeper from itunes yesterday..... Should have been more patient and bought the FLAC version on their official web site. The iTunes one sound like crap.... I'ts only the secound time I buy with iTunes and will stay away from it from now on....

The album is good, but because of the awfull sounding iTunes version was not happy will listen to it again tonight. I just received the Kilbey-Kennedy You Are Everything on vinyl and wow this one sound so good! Good pressing very nice full sound! One of my fave now!

Waiting for the new Church on vinyl hope it will be as good sounding as the Kilbey-Kennedy. I have Untitled 23 on vinyl and for it's a mixed bag some soungs sound good and some others less...

13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

14. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Just got tix to see them in a 500 person club in San Diego in Feb. Mutha Funkers!!! Can't wait.

15. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

The Casbah, yeah?
    I'll be there. It'll be great to see them in such an intimate setting. (I would've guessed the capacity of The Casbah was less than 500!)

edit; I just checked, and the capacity for The Casbah is 200!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  16. ServingTheMusic

You got it sir! Actually you may be right about capacity...I will be there to bath in the sermon delivered by The Church.

17. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I finally got around to watching A Psychedelic Symphony the other night, and was totally blown away.
    The arrangements to include the orchestra were beautiful. I felt emotional and choked-up at a few parts. Just so beautiful.
    I was also pleasantly surprised with Steve K's vocal phrasing. He often strays a bit too far from the recorded versions of his phrasing and melody, for my liking, but I found his delivery on this performance to be really damned-excellent.
    What a great show!

1970 likes this.
  18. ServingTheMusic

Yeh...agree...his voice has held up incredibly well...virtually unchanged.

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I got tickets for Saturday's show at Rough Trade in March, but I may get a pair for Friday night at the Bowery Ballroom as well. There's not much else coming up on my music calendar and weekend night shows are a pleasure.

20. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

21. ServingTheMusic

Elite rock vocalist, bassist, songwriter, and author...wow.

22. ian christopher

picked up 2 interesting discs in the used bin recently.

Sometime Anywhere (2 disc set - NOT the reissue/remaster) -- released in 1994. I never knew this already long album was a double!

Almost Yesterday - a greatest hits compilation with a few interesting inclusions (namely, "Texas Moon" and their cover of "I Am A Rock").

Also, the mastering is a bit more muscular than the Bill Inglot masterings of the remainder of Church discs I have in my collection.

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

cool,
    actually Sometime Anywhere is not a double album, but that CD have that bonus Disc, and songs are great... an underrated album! also keep that because IMO remaster is not good, also that have a blue sticker in the front...

rcsrich and ian christopher like this.
  24. ian christopher

I'm reading on the "Shadow Cabinet" fansite that Ploogy and Koppes are featured on track 1 of Sometime Anywhere's 2nd disc, "Drought"!

25. ian christopher

funny thing is, the "Almost Yesterday" compilation doesn't have a copyright date anywhere on the disc or case! Amazon says it was released in 1994. The mastering engineer (Warren Barnett, whom I've never heard of before - perhaps an Australian mastering engineer?) evokes subtle differences than Inglot.

The intro to "Myrrh" is much improved, with panning between the guitars of Koppes and Willson-Piper far more evident than in the "wall of sound" mastering approach that Bill Inglot used.

I somewhat prefer Inglot's take on the Blurred Crusade material (Almost With You, When You Were Mine), so go figure.

Texas Moon is incredible, and I Am A Rock is a fun cover.