SH Spotlight Capitol Tower Studio experts, initials of engineers who worked on "LOVE IS THE THING", Nat Cole 1956

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Do I see ghosts in the rear corner? They appear to be laughing and having a great time. One of them is wearing a fedora...an is holding a PAPER CUP!!!!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I love that piano. It sounds really great, just like it does on AFTER MIDNIGHT.

reeltime likes this.
  3. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Checked my mono copy this morning, if it helps: 12 O'Clock Rainbow label

Side 1: N21 #5 (Serif font machine stamp)
    Side 2: N25 A1 (Handwritten in deadwax)

Sound is glorious and warm on both sides. To my ears, all highs & lows are there. I haven't heard a D copy, but currently have no plans to purchase another mono LP copy.

4. Steve Hoffman

Now I'm confused. Well, perplexed. What the heck did they use for a cutting master in NYC? No "New York" tape survives from this era. The New York reels start much later and they all came back to LA when the studio in NY closed so why didn't the early dupe stuff come back to LA? Was it stored in another place and just dumped? No NY tapes on any Nat Cole stuff at all that I ever knew about (at least from the 1950-60 era.

.crystalised. likes this.
  5. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Could it be that dupes of the 1950-60 period were only made after 1960? In reading rxcory's description of his JOOTT label, it sounds like a ca. 1960 copy, and my LITT ca. 1962-63 (rough guess). You would think, though, that the creation of these dupe tapes would be notated somewhere, and that they wouldn't lose track of hundreds of high-quality dubs of their top-name material.

6. Steve Hoffman

Tapes would have come back to LA no matter when the dupe was made. No NY Nat tapes (at least on the albums I did research on).. Weird.

7. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Any chance of putting threads like this together for Les Baxter records?Or aren't there enough serious fans here?

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well.....I think this thread was only possible because Steve had copies of the notes at his disposal for reference. Typically, this sort of info is not "out there," no?

howlinrock likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Never out there. Wasn't considered interesting or important..

10. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

It's not important -- and almost certainly not interesting to most -- but MLutthans, as he has been known to do one or two other times, was able to confirm that all of the commonly seen session photos are from session #2, December 28, 1956.

MLutthans likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Confirm how? Just curious.

12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

He was able to decipher some music and lyrics off of Nat's sheet: "When Sunny Gets Blue."

13. Steve Hoffman

Ah, good deal.

14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I had always thought they were from the first session, but that was just speculative.

15. Steve Hoffman

I thought so because of the clink of his charm bracelet or whatever he's wearing. It shows up on the MARIE outs.

16. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

He always had that thing on, though.

17. Steve Hoffman

Nat two.jpg
    Didn't know that..

rxcory, reeltime and jtaylor like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Guess he did always have that on in that era.... Never noticed. Nat After midnight two.jpg

rxcory, bozburn and .crystalised. like this.
  19. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

I heard that too, and knew what it was immediately. He's fiddling with it in a moment of self-consciousness. I love this stuff. Thanks to the AP release I also noticed the different mono/stereo takes of the tune. I have both pressings, but always paid more attention to the open vs. closed mike differences. Really great stuff. A time capsule from those magical sessions.

bozburn and Steve Hoffman like this.
  20. .crystalised.

In those outtakes, one can easily identify and appreciate the great affection, admiration and respect that Lee Gillette had for the artist that is Nat Cole. From those charming gaffes, and all the tape holds. He loved that man as much as we do today, and more.

VinylPhool and MMM like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

And that feeling was mutual. Nat would watch Lee through the glass when he was recording. If Lee made a funny face Nat would just stop.

bozburn, McLover, VinylPhool and 2 others like this.
  22. .crystalised.

"Lee? I step-toed that, but was I still in it?"

23. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Much more than we: Lee was never the same after Nat died, effectively retiring two months after Cole's death.

McLover, rxcory, randy9700 and 2 others like this.
  24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

You can hear how differently Cole and Dave Cavanaugh interacted on the final tracks of this CD: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/nat-king-cole-live-in-vegas-1962-new-release.337925/ (It's quite cordial, too, but without that out-and-out magic of the Cole/Gillette relationship.)

25. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member