Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

2. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

30% off all vinyl at Hastings this weekend. I found one box set. Their security device has chewed up the box a bit, but for $262.49 I couldn't pass it up. Now to get home from the in-laws so I can crack it open and listen.

3. onlysleeping

Wow is everyone shopping now or did I kill this thread? Was it something I said?

4. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Or maybe it's just that everyone has bought it already and said all they could say in parts 1 - 15.:)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  5. onlysleeping

Yeah it could be that. ☺

6. blaubleiben

blaubleiben Well-Known Member

After listening to the box for over 2 months now I've put on my German apple stereo Revolver last weekend (for the first time since I got my original Y&B UK last year), and I found that it blows the Mono away. I love most of the Monos (MMT turned out to be much more fun in Mono even compared to my German Hörzu), but I always felt that a lot of the songs (especially on side one) did not sound good in the Mono mixes. I'm Only Sleeping was always one of my favourites, and now it is again ;-) Still love the box, though. And Dr. Robert, Tomorrow Never Knows or Goodday Sunshine are fab in Mono!

Cracklebarrel and corr64 like this.
  7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I'm listening to a 320ksps mp3 of a needledrop now while doing some house work. Rubber Soul. I'm hearing vocals like they're in the room (and the stereo is in the other room). Acoustic instruments are jumping out at me. Is this the breath of life I'm hearing so much about? And no I'm not high :)

8. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Finally bought myself a mono box set from my local record store. Now, I knew what to expect obviously, but still very impressed. It's just plain cool all around. Even though, as usual with Optimal, several LP's are very slightly warped, but nothing serious, I'm keeping them all.
    Oh, also scored number 4-thousand-something on White Album. Or is there a dedicated thread for that?

Keith V likes this.
  9. corr64

corr64 New Member

Yes that's the rate iv'e needle dropped mine at. They do sound very nice.

Keith V likes this.
  10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I know what you mean. For me it can vary sometimes almost track by track as far as preferring the mono or stereo mix.

jeatleboe likes this.
  11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

My 2014 copy of Rubber Soul has mucho sibilance (he's a real nowhere man, shhhitting in his nowhere land....) but that can be forgiven because this thing ROCKS.

12. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Never know when sitting may turn into $hitting! :) Oh yeah,let him do that in his nowhere land and not pollute the environment here. ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  13. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

If anyone with decision making capability is still following this,
    for me, given how good the Beatles mono box sounds,
    I would instantly buy a stereo box done all analogue in the same way.

14. onlysleeping

Revolution on the past masters is stunning. Fuzzy!

bluejimbop and Chemguy like this.
  15. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I had the same problem until I increased my tracking force one quarter of a gram. Now it's perfect. Adjust the anti-skating to match.

nikh33 and bluemooze like this.
  16. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

my folks and my wife went in together to get me the box for Christmas. starting off right at the beginning with Please Please Me right now.

i have NEVER heard the Beatles sound this good. ever. ever. ever.

it doesn't sound pristine. certainly doesn't sound "digital" (because it's not). it just sounds right. like how it was meant to be heard.

i don't have a Blue Box to compare it to. and i know it's missing AR and LIB, just because those were never issued on mono. but could this be the definitive Beatles on vinyl?

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think I need these records in stereo as well, from Revolver onwards at least.

bluemooze and Keith V like this.
  18. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I love the new mono vinyl box but, PPM sounds better, (more top end and fresher sound probably due to the tapes being newer), on the BC13. I compared original UK eps as well and they all sound fresher more atmosphere and mid range sweetness on the original. I love A Hard Days Night, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, and MMT. They all sound fantastic. I think With The Beatles And PPM sound much better elsewhere. I don't have For Sale, The Beatles, or Mono Masters. I will pick them up.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  19. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I'd like to see them tube mastered in stereo like the originals.

20. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

I'm currently sitting here debating this purchase. It's my 30th in a few weeks and I've asked people to just get me some Amazon gift cards. Its currently £297 on there so I doubt I'm loved enough to be given that much in gift cards.... but then I debate buying them separately.....

I guess my question is, is the book worth it? What's it like compared to say the Anthology book? Is there anything in there I won't have seen before (bearing in mind my Beatles book shelf is heaving!)

21. Oyster Black Pearl

Oyster Black Pearl Forum Resident

The book is superb, a few (large) photos I hadn't seen before, plus plenty of interesting images such as tape boxes etc. Well with getting the box, plus it work out much cheaper than buying individually. I've stopped buying individual LP's from the stereo box as I'd like the book from that too.

Have you considered buying from the Beatles store? Price is often better than Amazon and doesn't fluctuate?

22. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

This is part of my dilemma, if I buy separately from various sources (I've looked around), I can get all for around £240. That makes it £50 for the box and book!

23. Oyster Black Pearl

Oyster Black Pearl Forum Resident

Ah, I pre-ordered the box, at the time it worked out around £40 cheaper than buying the individuals. Hadn't been aware prices had dropped that much.

levi likes this.
  24. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

It's too late for me to turn back now. I own 80% of the mono vinyl box. Got them on sale at my local record store, got'm cheap too. 19.99 a piece. All I need now is a White Album, Beatles For Sale, and Mono Masters. First is of course, a white album. I can't wait to complete my collection.

Oyster Black Pearl likes this.
  25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

My wife bought me the box for Christmas. The past couple of years, I'm lucky to get one new record out of five that isn't fu**ed up somehow. This set has 14 discs, all of which are pancake flat, all 28 sides are pressed perfectly on-center, blemish-free, dead silent and all-analog (except for "Love Me Do," SFW) The sleeves and book are just stunning, and the attention to detail is masterful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.