Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #63)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Don't know that one,but I have Muti and the Philadelphians version of the Pastorale on a Japanese Angel LP.

ToddBD likes this.
  2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "The Art Of Fugue" from "Bach - The Organ Works" performed by Helmut Walcha on Archiv.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and Mik like this.
  3. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

The one with Leonard Bernstein and Isaac Stern from the mid 60s is the one that sticks in my mind.Found an original Dutch CBS pressing for $1.99 in one of the last big hauls I made from Hastings a few months ago.

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

I can't truthfully claim that the Art of Fugue is a frequent visitor to my sound system, but I much enjoy Lionel Rogg's recording (on organ), which presents the final fugue both as Bach left it and with a completion by the performer. He indicates the completion is only about a third as long as what Bach would probably have done, but I find it effective nonetheless. For years I had the recording only in the form of somewhat fuzzy sounding Angel LPs (possibly bad pressings, possibly just showing the effects of play on bad equipment by some prior owner); latterly I latched onto a copy on CD, which is much better.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Grofe: Grand Canyon Suite/Beethoven: Wellington's Victory
    Morton Gould & His Orchestra
    http://www.amazon.com/Grofe-Canyon-Beethoven-Wellingtons-Victory/dp/B005Y0SJIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417404534&sr=8-1&keywords=morton gould wellington's victory

Well someone put it up on amazon as an MP3.
    I love this record, Wellington's Victory is really cool, a lot of fun..great stereo record
    I have a bootleg CD of this, but never liked the sound of it much, and like this new one a bit better.
    I wish they would put out a well done SACD of this, and it still hasn't got a full CD release from RCA/BMG/Sony
    I still like the original stereo LP over either of these version (though I have a cassette and a reel to reel version that I haven't tried out yet).

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Rosenmuller - Beatus Vir ?" performed by Gli Incogniti with Amandine Beyer on Zig-Zag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Liszt" performed by Lise De La Salle on Naive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Partitas No. 2 and 3, Sonata No.3" performed by Hilary Hahn on Sony.

[​IMG]

heman__ likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach Concertos" performed by Janine Jansen & Friends on Decca.

Violin Concertos BWV 1042, 1041
    Concerto For Violin & Oboe BWV 1060 (reconstructed)
    Sonatas For Harpsichord And Violin BWV 1016, 1017

[​IMG]

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Goldberg Variations" performed by Maggie Cole on Virgin Veritas.

[​IMG]

Mik and Robin L like this.
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Grofe is out on a Living Stereo SACD paired with music by Copland.

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Ligeti/Janacek" performed by Quintette A Vent Claude Debussy on Harmonia Mundi.

Ligeti - Six Bagatelles/Dix pieces
    Janacek - Mladi/Concertino

[​IMG]

Mik, George P and john greenwood like this.
  13. john greenwood

Getting a head start on the next holiday. "Mass for Christmas Day" from the Archiv Gregorian Chant box performed by Chor der Monche Erzabtei Beuron, Pater Maurus Pfaff. The recordings from this box all date from the 1950's. Was anyone other than Archiv doing early music at that time?

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  14. john greenwood

I'm pretty certain some of that Ligeti was used for the ballet, Polyphonia (played on the piano though).

bluemooze likes this.
  15. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

CD 9 at the moment, Chopin's Waltzes.

Some extremely luxurious, sumptuous, grandiose playing, oozing class like he could be sipping a martini as he does it, yet with a swagger that that shows utter contempt for anybody else that's ever bothered to try.

[​IMG]

Soulpope, drh, Mik and 2 others like this.
  16. john greenwood

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Seeing as it's conceivable that I can afford it, any thoughts on the complete Bach for organ, any favorites?

18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

First spin of this CD.

bluemooze, ToddBD, Dave S and 3 others like this.
  19. john greenwood

Played Kubelik's Dvorak's 7-9 about a week ago. Whenever I come out of my class at Juilliard, I need to put on the music that was discussed simply because the bass free, chalkboard treble speakers in the classroom is so dreadful.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I've yet to pick up the Kubelik. I love the Kertész, though.

Robin L likes this.
  21. john greenwood

I have that set as well. I've been trying to remember which recording was played in class. Dorati maybe for some. I know the Tchaikovsky was Mravinsky (with the Prof apologizing for the orchestra's lack of polish).

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've got the Kubelik/VPO recording from Decca, I'm guessing recorded around 1959. It's on a London Stereo Treasury series LP. Also have the earlier Kertész VPO recording, also on an STS transfer. Something like four copies of Szell/Cleveland—two of the Epic originals, stereo, one of the Columbia two-fer with Beethoven's Fifth and Schubert's Unfinished and a recent and good CD transfer on Sony, coupled to the Eighth Symphony. In fact, I've probably have more/different copies of the "New World" Symphony than any other single work on my record shelves, at least ten. The Colin Davis/Concertgebouw set of Dvorak's last three symphonies on the Philips "Duo" CDs has the best sound/performance overall but they all have their charms.

geralmar likes this.
  23. Mik

Mik Forum Resident

I've got this digitally recorded version:
    [​IMG]
    which has been repackaged as this:
    [​IMG]

Also have this analog recorded version:
    [​IMG]

There are several versions. This Hänssler box set has nice reviews, great sound and even it contains 20cds, it has an excellent price:
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Jeez, thought that was some might incisive playing. The Mravinsky/Leningrad Philharmonic might not sound like Karajan/BPO in Tchaikovsky, that's one of their greatest virtues in my book.

drh and George P like this.
  25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Of the three, which is your favorite? Also, what do you know about the Hans Fagius set on SACD for BIS. It's only $30 or so via Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.