DKA Stereo to 5.1 Surround Upmixes - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ive never had a surround sound system but its in the budget to get it this year. So in the meantime i've been collecting blu ray audio titles, dvd audio titles and occasional DKA up mixes from stereo to surround sound.

Since i haven't been able to demo these titles myself i'm curious to see what people have to say about the DKA up mixes. I know I can't expect perfection but are they enjoyable to listen to when played on a 5.1 surround system?

2. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I've got quite a few - he's one of the better guys doing the upmixes. It's surprising how enjoyable they can be - his Station to Station is in many ways better than the official 5.1 mix that came out.

wbhendrix likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Who's DKA?

Bill

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What's DKA?

5. wbhendrix

love4another and Mister Charlie like this.
  6. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Do you have the Slayer ones, or the Who's next one?

7. wbhendrix

i have the who's next.

8. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Do you have Stevie ?

9. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

It's nice to see people taking the steps to purchase a 5.1 system as far as the 5.1 music don't waste your time and effort into collect any type of upmix because it not true surround sound the person who ever invented upmixing should get his but kicked like I said it's just a teckneak trying to fool you to believe its 5.1 when it really isn't.

10. wbhendrix

you're right - but for casual listening i can enjoy a fake 5.1 mix... i know thats heresy around these parts but if done right, i like some of them.

11. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

His stuff is very well done as is most of the stuff done by the members of the group he is part of..I am a member of that group as well and I have done over 200 5.1 upmixes and am quite pleased with he quality..

12. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Man, Dynamite Kid A has done some amazing upmixes of material we're never likely to see in that format. I agree that his Station to Station is pretty phenomenal. Thanks for the link to his Facebook page.

13. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

I LOVE the DKA up-mixes. Try the Ambrosia / Ambrosia up-mix, it is amazing. He is a real genius. Wish he would do Dan Fogelberg or Kansas.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I have a few DTS upmixes (don't know if they're DKA though) and some of them are phenomenal--downright discrete, to coin a phrase. NEVER A DULL MOMENT, MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, comps for Willie Nelson and Peter Paul and Mary, etc.

15. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Yeah, those who dismiss fan upmixes on principal have no clue that they're missing some amazingly rendered surround stuff that'll never see the format officially.

16. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

No offence but why would you want a upmix of Kansas when there is a DTS 5.1 of The Best of Kansa Iv had that for a couple years now.....care to find out how to find it

17. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Sure tell us how to find out

18. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

I have done 4 Fogelberg upmixes which were up on one of the sites for a while...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.