Bob Dylan - 50th anniversary collection - 1964

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oh1, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Pate

Stephen Pate New Member

Who will be selling this? I can't find it on Amazon.co.uk or .de yet. Thanks.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Well, now they have the rest of Bob's lifetime (and then some) to decide, rather than having that decision taken out of their hands by PD companies.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

They are taking a risk with this "only circulating material" strategy, imo. Just because gray-market labels can't get their hands on an uncirculating track doesn't mean it won't still become PD 50 years after the recording date. Let's say they had discovered a brand-new, never-rumored Dylan original from 1963 in the vaults. They figured, "Nobody has this, so we'll just sit on it." But now, if they ever include it on an official Dylan release, it will be listed as "Public Domain" and Dylan will earn nothing from it.

I'm sure you know this, Ray -- I was just spelling it out for those who might be confused about how this Copyright Extension stuff works.

4. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

My guess is that you answered your own question; if the goal is to release these to extend the copyright, while keeping it off the piracy sites, then releasing 1000 copies on vinyl only is a decent strategy. If no one out of the 1000 people are both set up to do HQ needle-drops plus have the inclination to upload it somewhere, they just might get away with it for a little bit.

5. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

There is no reason the 1963 Town Hall and Carnegie Hall concerts shouldn't be released in full. I've been able to assemble them myself from the now official sources, but I imagine they'll release them in full at some point, 'cause they're great.

Jimmy B., JoeF. and moople72 like this.
  6. Abbey Road

If you're so inclined, would love to see the tracklist with official sources listed next to each track. :)

7. RayS

I agree with you 100%. The Eric Von Schmidt "home tape" is an interesting case as well. This tape was not generally circulating back when I was a "full time" collector, and I'm not sure that it ever has since. If that is still the case, I wonder if Dylan's people even have a copy, and if they do, will they include it? Damned if you, damned if you don't.

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Until we get all the details, it is hard to know what this is going to turn out to be. If it is only 9 tracks, I won't be surprised! As far as quantity, this is a very unproductive year for Bob.

Still, I just did a count of songs, and were I to build this set, using the same criteria as the previous sets, I'd have over 15 tracks. Still not enough for 9 slabs of vinyl though.

My other thought, and this really doesn't make sense, would be that maybe they are releasing earlier material? It is already in the public domain though, so I don't know why they would. Of course, a few items on the 1963 set were really from 1962 (some home recordings), but I wonder if they are hoping to release their own versions of the large quantity of material mainly from 1961.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I was hoping this year they'd release them on 78 RPMs or wax cylinders..........................

:cussing:

Muddy, JoeF. and HominyRhodes like this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Just the one: "Walls of Red Wing" from the Carnegie Hall concert.

11. DmitriKaramazov

"move along people... nothing to see here....."

[​IMG]

Stephen Pate likes this.
  12. RayS

Why would they include anything that is already in the public domain in the EU? Unless we get yet another law change, those items are in the public domain "forever". They've previously included poor quality audience tapes, don't see why they'd stop now - so here comes Philly. San Jose and San Francisco (not that the latter two are all that bad).

13. RayS

That WOULD be a nice touch. :)

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  14. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm just grasping for straws. I guess we'll have to know the tracklist soon, seeing as how this set must be released in the next 29 days. I suppose news of The Beatles set should be imminent, and maybe some more bands will start jumping on the trend? The Rolling Stones now have some significant material at stake, for instance.

15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I'm not sure how many bootlegs in physical media format are still being sold, in stores or online. Issuing or posting anything nowadays -- music, photos, videos, the written word -- is like leaving money out on the sidewalk because of the internet.

I stopped patronizing and supporting the bootleggers many years ago -- please Mr. Dylan, sir, don't make me go back to them...offer the Copyright Extension/Public Domain material for sale to us all. The world will be a better place. :agree:

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  16. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Live 1963-04-12 Town Hall
    1. Ramblin' Down Through the World [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    2. Bob Dylan's Dream [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    3. Talkin' New York [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    4. Ballad of Hollis Brown [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    5. Walls of Red Wing [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    6. All Over You [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    7. Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    8. Boots of Spanish Leather [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    9. Hero Blues [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    10. Blowin' in the Wind [Source: Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    11. John Brown [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    12. Tomorrow Is a Long Time [Source: Side Tracks (same as GHv2 version)]
    13. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    14. Dusty Old Fairgrounds [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    15. Who Killed Davey Moore [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    16. Seven Curses [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    17. Highway 51 [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    18. Pretty Peggy-O [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    19. Bob Dylan's New Orleans Rag [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    20. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    21. Hiding Too Long [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    22. With God on Our Side [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    23. Masters of War [Source: Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    24. Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie [Source: Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3]

Live 1963-10-26 Carnegie Hall
    1. The Times They Are A-Changin' [source: Carnegie Hall EP, packaged with Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    2. Ballad of Hollis Brown [source: Carnegie Hall EP, packaged with Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    3. Who Killed Davey Moore? [source: Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3]
    4. Boots of Spanish Leather [source: Carnegie Hall EP, packaged with Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    5. Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues [source: Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3]
    6. Lay Down Your Weary Tune [source: Carnegie Hall EP, packaged with Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    7. Blowin' in the Wind [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    8. Percy's Song [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    9. Seven Curses [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    10. Walls of Red Wing [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    11. North Country Blues [source: Carnegie Hall EP, packaged with Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    12. A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall [source: Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    13. Talkin' World War III Blues [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    14. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    15. With God On Our Side [source: Carnegie Hall EP, packaged with Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]
    16. Only a Pawn in Their Game [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    17. Masters of War [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    18. The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll [Source: 50th Anniversary Collection 1963]
    19. When the Ship Comes In [source: Bootleg Series Vol. 7/NDH sdtk]

voles, Bob M., supermd and 6 others like this.
  17. Abbey Road

Thanks so much!

Tom Schreck likes this.
  18. DmitriKaramazov

Here's an idea: Sony should send this collection FREE to everyone who purchased the 6 disc Basement Tapes set (which still has me in its thrall by the way).

Who's With Me On This???

19. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

that's the one. i knew there was at least one item.

20. RayS

I'll amend my post from "not one shred" of fresh material on the 6 discs, to "one shred". Sloppy reporting on my part. I do remember spending some time going through the '63 concert material around this time last year looking to see if something did sneak through. I haven't returned to the '63 set since. I enjoy the studio stuff on the '62 set, although I know I am in the minority there. (Yes, I do "need" all those "Mixed Up Confusion" takes.)

Heart of Gold likes this.
  21. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

Although 64 is far from my favourite Dylan year, the Royal Festival Hall concert could be a real find, if it's included...

22. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Well, it's definitely not the most exciting year for unreleased stuff, but I'll gladly take (probably illegally, given how they distribute these) as much from Bob's vaults as they'll give me. More than anything, I'm just glad to see this is happening because I was a bit confused about the law changes and how they would affect these releases. Now, if we can keep this copyright train a-rollin' into next year, that's when we'll be seeing some really great stuff.

HominyRhodes and Tom Schreck like this.
  23. RayS

Imagine 10 years from now ...

An EIGHTY disc "Copyright Extension" collection of the entire 1974 tour (40 shows, all in circulation). And 1978 .... just wow ... who's buying THAT collection?

24. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

There are many instances of 'spoken intros' missing from the above sources, I'm afraid you have to resort to the bootlegs to get them:

Town Hall:
    Rare And A Find Spot 38.1. (Jan Tempelman) (LB-4819)
    Hollow Horn Performing Artist. ‘Find Out Why’ (Disc 1)

Carnegie Hall:
    Find Out Why (Hollow Horn Recording Artist Vol.4 Disc 2
    Bob Dylan Sony's Carnegie 1963
    Carnegie Hall, New York NY.
    DREAM DYLAN LIVE BBC Radio 2 October 6th 2007 (JTT Master)

Tom Schreck likes this.
  25. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was also under the impression that the copyright laws had been extended in the UK to protect the artists material. In the past few years public domain has affected The Great American Songbook, Jazz and Rock & Roll with cd's available a knock down prices. This must have had an effect on labels like Ace Records who specialize in mostly full priced re-issues from that period.
    In the past few months we have seen a few radio broadcasts from Bruce Springsteen's Darkness tour released on cd over this side of the pond. I thought the copyright laws had been changed to stop the likes of The Beatles, The Stones and Dylan's material ending up costing a £1 on garage forecourts throughout the land.
    The email in the original post was pretty much verbatim.The indication here is that the vast majority of the release will consist of live material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.