Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are various Kinks' threads floating in and out of activity, but there isn't one dedicated to the vinyl reissues which are coming out now, starting with Muswell Hillbillies 2xLP RSD release. Here's the order of events, near as I can tell:

In the US, the following albums will all drop on December 23, per the Amazon release dates. Amazon currently lists these albums as Imports at the unrealistic price of $46.99:

Kinks
    Kinda Kinks
    Kinks Kontroversy
    Face to Face
    Something Else
    The Village Green Preservation Society
    Arthur

In the UK, a staggered release schedule is apparently on the cards:

Kinks, Kinda Kinks, Kinks Kontroversy - Dec. 15
    Face to Face, Something Else - Dec. 22
    VGPS, Arthur - Jan. 12

Amazon.co.uk is asking £20.99 (~$32.75) for each.

As for Muswell Hillbillies 2xLP release, the presentation is very good on my system. Very detailed and clean. I'm not sure if their recording technique by that time was better or what, but the fidelity of the recording seems higher than the earlier albums. The only bugaboo is on disk 2, the label on one side was placed way off center, extending out into the deadwax and also crumpled over. Amazon.com also lists this 2xLP (it was not an RSD exclusive) for $39.99, some seven dollars cheaper than the single LP releases for the other albums listed above.

dirtymac likes this.
  2. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Is there anything about the RSD version that is exclusive that will not be on the regular pressing? My early pressing copy of Muswell is warped and skips on the first track of each side, so I'd be interested in replacing it if worthwhile. The bonus tracks don't excite me too much.

As to the others, I was lucky enough to stop into a little shop on Prince Edward Island of all places that had very early pressings of almost everything from their first album up to Lola. Crazy score that day. I've filled in a few gaps here and there and have all their albums that I want. Nice to see them repressing these though as I so rarely see any of these second hand.

Mr. Twangy likes this.
  3. Are these stereo or mono?

4. Mr. Twangy

Mr. Twangy Active Member

They're both. Double gatefolds with both versions.

Rickchick and patient_ot like this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Huh...cool! I didn't know that. Is there a source for this info somewhere?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  6. Mr. Twangy

Mr. Twangy Active Member

Yes the Kinks web site on the Universal site. Can't remember the URL but if you google Kinks vinyl reissues it will come up as one of the first.

Simon A likes this.
  7. Mr. Twangy

Mr. Twangy Active Member

The fact that they're double albums is no doubt why they're so expensive.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The previous lp reissues by Velvel/Konk (from the RCA and Arista era) were cut from hi-res digital. Therefore, I assume these new ones will be too.

Has anyone compared the RSD Muswell Hillbillies lp to the Velvel/Konk lp?

10. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Single LPs with a mono and stereo LP for all albums including Kinda Kinks and The Kink Kontroversy? :confused:

11. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

The Kinks Pye output is currently owned by Sony, not Universal. Maybe you were looking at vinyl reissues from a few years back?

12. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

if this is actually happening, and it's the quality of the new Muswell Hillbillies reissue, i will be very very happy!

aoxomoxoa and sennj like this.
  13. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

The price is absurd, but it's still cheaper than any going copy of Village Green. I know, I've been stalking that one on the Bay like a hawk for months.

14. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I've just spotted an official ad for these. They are single LPs and all are mono save Arthur.

Simon A likes this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The previous vinyl reissues that were issued on coloured vinyl and on various Record Store Days were double albums with mono and stereo. The new reissues are just single discs.

16. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

Mono is good

rxcory likes this.
  17. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Yeah their monos are good. I picked up an original UK Pye mono Kinda Kinks LP and it completely changed my opinion of that album. For the better!

Simon A likes this.
  18. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident Thread Starter

Could you tell me where you saw the ad? Thanks.

19. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Looks like the prices are indeed around $45 per title to ship to my door in Canada, regardless of amazon.ca, amazon.com, and amazon.co.uk.

That's way out of my range.

Brettlowden likes this.
  20. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

For those prices, if one is patient, one could find really nice UK, German or Spanish early 1980s PRT/Pye reissues. There are tons of threads about these on the forum. They are all analog and they sound fantastic. They will also likely be in far better condition than any original Pyes from the 60s. The German ones are like digital quiet and really well mastered. I spent $25-30 each with shipping for Kinda, Kontroversy, Face to Face, Something Else (stereo), Arthur (mono), Lola and $50 for a German mono of Village Green. They are all NM, and I found half of them in the US. This is all from eBay and Discogs, mind you. I've never seen any of these in any store, but they were imported to the US in the 80s. If you know what you're looking for, you can find these for decent prices.

Here's a thread with some info

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...green-lp-question.353227/page-2#post-10455893

21. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

could you possibly try to find one on discogs for me (any album from those you mentioned) or a seller that is selling them since you have experience with this. i really want these albums in mono and if the upcoming are going to be digital im not sure if im going to be into that (if the Muswell Hillbillies reissue was digital, it certainly doesnt sound like it tho)

22. if he does this for you I think you should pay him a finders fee :tiphat:

23. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

10 bucks over paypal? is it really worth it?

Mazzy likes this.
  24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone ask someone else to go record shopping for them on here.

Finding these things yourself is half the fun.

Brettlowden and Mazzy like this.
  25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

With some time and research, you can find these without too much effort. It took me about two years to replace all of my crappy early 2000s Earmark digital Kinks reissues with these. You could place WTB ads here on the forum. I've seen a few of these posted to the classifieds in the last year.

With Discogs I usually email sellers and ask them questions about matrix numbers and catalog numbers to make sure they are selling the correct item. I'll make offers, and sometimes they will accept. Everybody wants to sell their record for whatever the top price is, but reasonable sellers will be open to offers. Here are 6 copies of the German mono Village Green for sale. http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1276872?ev=rb One is in the US. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it. You can see that every one of these sellers is pricing it above the past highest selling copy. The mono Village Green has also been counterfeited recently, so avoid copies with the pinkish label.

I found a seemingly unplayed UK RCA copy of Muswell Hillbillies last year on eBay. I was the second bidder and won it for $30 with shipping! These deals can be found, you just have to research and be patient. The biggest problem I've run into is sellers thinking that a 1980 Pye reissue is a 1960s first pressing, because of the labels. They look the same, but are black and white. The original Pye labels were all black ink on colored paper.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Simon A and Dino like this.