Bob Dylan - 50th anniversary collection - 1964

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oh1, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I see now that a few of my dates are wrong. Corrected below...

2. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

WOW. Thanks for posting this!

If they can get 9 LPs out of 1964 (not that I'm complaining), the 65 and 66 boxes are going to be huge.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Excuse the crappy quality, Hard to avoid reflections from the lights in my office.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HominyRhodes, DeeThomaz, Moth and 3 others like this.
  4. fallbreaks

Interesting that they used the complete street address for Von Schmidt's house, since it looks like someone still uses that address (although it looks like new construction on Google Maps).

This was recorded not far from my grandparents' old house!

5. stepeanut

Same with the house at 1305 Soniat Street, New Orleans, LA, where Oh Mercy was recorded. It's a residential property, albeit in a swank neighbourhood.

fallbreaks likes this.
  6. fallbreaks

It'll be interesting to compare this version Joshua Gone Barbados, recorded with its author, to the one recorded a few years later in the basement.

7. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I see that Bob recorded "Joshua Gone Barbados" at Eric Von Schmidt's house in May, 1964 (LP2-Side D). He recorded it again with The Band on the Complete Basement Tapes in 1967.

Oh fallbreaks, you beat me to it while I was preparing my post!

DeeThomaz and fallbreaks like this.
  8. fallbreaks

Great minds...

DeeThomaz likes this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It'd be hilarious if Eric Von Schmidt's estate sued Sony over violating HIS copyrights with this release. Is there any language on the set that suggests they secured the required permissions (I didn't see anything in the fine print on the bottom right, as best as I could read it)?

"Stoned on the Mountain" wasn't previously known to be a Dylan composition, was it? Always fun to discover new originals from the era. In fact that whole session was unknown to me (unless I'm forgetting something) but seems to have been publicly documented at one point, as the details were (basically) already on Bjorner's site. In any case, can't wait to hear it.

RayS likes this.
  10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

This is of course wonderful news.

I assume that generosity never crosses the minds of the folks who put this stuff together.

Their hand was clearly forced with the Von Schmidt tape, as they must not have the only copy of it. (As I mentioned in an earlier post the tape was verified to exist but had not generally circulated as of 10 years ago or so. I haven't followed things so closely since then, but I am not aware of it circulating.) I wonder if they know that someone has been sitting on Festival Hall, or if it is an act of better-safe-than-sorry/paranoia. It looks like they may have given us a bit more of the studio stuff than was needed to cover the "Emmett Grogan Acetates", but that will require a little detective work to figure I think.

Bottom line, two tapes that have been long known to exist yet long unheard (generally) see the light of day!

11. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

there was a lot of talk of a large Blonde On Blonde sessions box. the sessions go back to 1965. if they really wanted to get some money out of that, they'll go ahead and do the Bootleg Series of that and push the BOTT box another year.

-justin

fallbreaks likes this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I apologize for going OT here, but I know all the Dylan nuts are watching this thread. I just popped over to amazon.uk to see if they might list this set (I know at least one person here got last year's set via amazon.uk or amazon.us) and I found some odd listings. Here's one for Tempest (release date Dec 24, 2014):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tempest-Car...UTF8&qid=1417802290&sr=1-1&keywords=bob+dylan
    And the description:
    Cardboard sleeve reissue from Bob Dylan features Blu-spec CD2 format and remastering in 2013 used in "The Complete Album Collection." Comes with lyrics, new liner notes, and the original liner notes. This series is aim to replicate the original albums, including attachments such as ad sticker and features the following albums "Under The Red Sky," "Good As I Been To You," "World Gone Wrong," "MTV Unplugged," "Time Out Of Mind," "Love And Theft," "Modern Times," "Christmas In The Heart," "Together Through Life," "Tempest."

Is there a thread on these reissues?

13. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Thanks for the pics. There has been some speculation that the Philadelphia Town Hall recording is the same awful audience recording that has previously circulated.
    Can you confirm that this is the case ? Do the live shows sound like sbd quality ?

14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Sidebar re: future Copyright Extension sets: I wonder if Sony has let these first three Copyright Extension sets fly under the radar (with tiny, limited releases), but are aware that the material likely to be on the 1965 and '66 sets will be so high-profile that it will practically demand a wider release. For example, I wouldn't be shocked if Bootleg Series 12 ends up being a huge "Studio 1965" set, and then the actual "Copyright 1965" set in December is mostly live stuff with a few studio leftovers. Rinse and repeat in 2016. These are unique years where there was a LOT of studio activity, covering his most beloved period -- Sony and Dylan Inc. won't really have this "problem" (a ton of unreleased studio recordings that even casual fans might want) again until maybe 2024 (for the BOTT sessions, which presumably will have been exhaustively covered by the Bootleg Series by then).

supermd, IronWaffle and fallbreaks like this.
  15. stepeanut

I'm not even home with it yet!

It'll be a while before I have the chance to listen. All will become clear in time.

16. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Don't stop at the pub on the way home for a Friday beer !

17. stepeanut

It's my work's Xmas do tonight, but I've had to sack it off in order to see this box safely home. This Dylan business is serious stuff.

asdf35 and fallbreaks like this.
  18. Justin Brooks

it would make the most sense for them to release BS12 and have it be both 1965 and 1966 since they have talked about a BoB sessions box. they can shuffle off the live recordings to the copyright sets. we would then wait another year for BS13: BOTT. now, if they wanted to do two in a year and hit the BOTT anniversary next year, they could do one in spring and one in fall, but then that might conflict with the release of SITN. of course, if the rumored February release date for SITN is true, then they could do all three in one year!

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"1965 Revisited" was 14 CDs, and "Jewels and Binoculars" (the '66 equivalent) was 26 CDs. So maybe 20 LPs for the first and 40 LPs for the second, give or take for removal of interviews and redundant material (like the mono "Blonde on Blonde" disc). That's a hefty box set to pay for and lug home!

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I haven't really sat down and tried to sort out the details, but I do think that the sheer quantity of studio material (and its importance to both Dylan fans and rock fans in general) will demand some kind of consideration by Sony and Dylan Inc. I think we have already seen with BS11 that Sony is willing to issue less "curated" Bootleg Series sets in order to monetize material that will fall out of copyright (or be marginalized on Copyright Extension sets) soon. They may not feel they can realistically sell ten takes of "Mixed Up Confusion" or "I Shall Be Free" on a Bootleg Series set, but I don't think they'd hesitate to issue multiple takes of "Like A Rolling Stone" on a mainstream BS set. Dylan's "source" (Jeff Rosen himself?) has told Rolling Stone that a massive Blonde On Blonde Bootleg Series set is on the table, so why wouldn't they issue a larger-than-planned BS set, so that the 2016 Copyright Extension set could be smaller and less "important"?

I dunno, I'm just thinkin' out loud here....

IronWaffle likes this.
  21. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I think they'll have to change things up for 1965 and 1966. Just the sheer amount of recordings would make a vinyl set impractical. They've gone the CD route before with the 1962 set, but I think they now regret that decision. It made it way too easy for people to upload it, so the vinyl is obviously a reaction to that. Also, it was made very clear that this was not to be sold online by the retailers it was distributed to. So, if a vinyl set is impractical and they don't want to use something so easily pirated as CDs, what are they left with? My optimism says a massive Bootleg Series box set.

HominyRhodes and Sean Murdock like this.
  22. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I'd think that a Blonde on Blonde set would be similar to what they did with the Basement Tapes: A 3lp set selection and a multi-cd set of everything. If there's too much, I could see them doing a 3lp set, a multi-cd set of most of it, and a digital release cleaning up the odds and ends.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It surprised me that the audio quality of the Freewheelin' material on the first Copyright Extension set was so good. I had fully expected them to intentionally degrade the sonics, as it would have fulfilled the same legal purpose and yet still preserved an incentive for fans to someday purchase a more conventional, future release of this material.

IronWaffle likes this.
  24. fallbreaks

Yeah this is important! You seem to be the only person in the world with a copy of this!

(No pressure. Ha ha ha ha)

25. Justin Brooks

the cd vs. vinyl makes no difference. when they did the cd release, we had lossless rips soon and of course, they actually released mp3s for a couple days in Europe.

a lossless rip of the vinyl was available with a day or two of the release of the 1963 set so vinyl vs. CD makes no difference and Sony should realize that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.