Led Zeppelin I-IV 2014 remasters considered the best?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plissken99

Plissken99 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A site I've recently discovered( www.hdtracks.com ) sells high res downloads of most of it's albums(96/24). They have the Led Zeppelin 2014 remasters in this format, which is definitely how I'd like to own them. Short of vinyl, are these considered the best versions out there?

Also I'm not big on live recordings unless their really well done. How are the live recordings on the deluxe versions?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    Freebird likes this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Lot's of threads on this subject but to save you time, my guess is that most here like them and many consider them the best digital versions there are. IMO they are the best digital version. A thorough read of the threads may prove me wrong though.

3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The only one with a live performance on the reissues so far is Zep1. Sound quality is so so the performance is rather great though. If your speaking of song remains the same I find it to be vital it in the catalog and love it. I love a good live album though period. The BBC sessions are also great the Zep IV tracks on it were performed months before the albums release which makes them special in my book.

Paul_T likes this.
  4. Plissken99

I did a search but there wasn't much specifically on the 2014 remasters. Haven't read anything bad though, think I'll have to start getting them. I just bought the new AC/DC album in the 99/24 FLAC format, sounds excellent!

5. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

I have the hi rez downloads of LZ II, House of the Holy and LZ IV. I can't speak to how these hi rez versions compare to their vinyl counterparts, but IMO they are by far the best digital versions released to date. Highly recommended.

telepicker97 and kenbefound like this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

IMHO you can't go wrong buying all the 2014 Zep remasters from HDTracks. Most of them are the best digital versions, period, especially Zep III and IV, which blow away other digital versions in my view. (The same will be true of Physical Graffiti and In Through the Out Door when they are released next year.)

The close calls are Zep I, II and Houses of the Holy, because the Barry Diament-mastered 1980s CDs are still very good. But even then I would say the 2014 remasters are more or less equal, but have different strong and weak points compared to the 1980s CDs.

If I were starting my digital Zep collection from scratch, that's what I'd get: The HDTracks remasters, plus inexpensive used 1980s CDs of Zep I, II, and Houses.

7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The 2014 files are heavily compressed and so brittle that your ears will shatter along with the masterings. Best to go with the crop circles and 1993 2 CD set for the tracks from II and III. The Diament of the debut will do, as it is not half bad. For the fourth album, you must have the Sidore or you will die.

danielbravo, Larry L and Siegmund like this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

What? I thought the Sidore was the least preferable of the CDs

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Couldn't disagree more with everything you say here, as would the majority of members who've heard and compared all five titles. But, enjoy what you like!

10. S. P. Honeybunch

Midrange Magic: Feel It

bhazen and ian christopher like this.
  11. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

:shake::thumbsdow

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Ok then, I'll just go with own opinion: I still think the Gastwirt FRAGILE is the best redbook cd I've heard of that title, and I prefer the 2014 LZ remasters over earlier versions although yeah the Barry I is probably smoother but I really don't have much love for that record anyhoo.

ssmith3046 and melkor_morgoth like this.
  13. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Short of vinyl? :rolleyes:

14. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Kiddin', right?

15. Plissken99

I don't have a record player or any vinyl, really don't think its worth my while to invest at this point. If collecting records were as easy as ordering off Amazon for $18 a pop. I might, but since those are based on CD masters there's no point.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That's a new one for me "ears will shatter", I have heard of mastering causing bleeding ears, tooth pain, insect killing but there is always something new to discover here. :)

17. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Its perfectly fine to have an opinion of the eq regarding the new zepp-masters. But heavy-compressed during mastering? No they are not. 1 or 2db the most.

Zepp1,2 were heavely compressed during transfer to tape in studio though. They have analog-clipping all over the place. Part of the sound. Yes the diements show better DR but i find it to be mostly air. Look at the waveforms. Just a tiny little waveform showing on diements :D

Personally i think they are great but havent decided yet. I grew up on those diements were second or third gen-tapes were used. He used great eq. I have to get used to the new 'high def' i guess.

18. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Definitive versions: LZ2, LZ3 and HOTH.

LZ1 and L4 are debatable IMO. Too bright for me.

progrocker likes this.
  19. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Also severe headaches and peeling paint off walls.

20. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

[​IMG]

Jose Jones, stef1205 and vonwegen like this.
  21. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Trust me, contrary to what you may believe and what you read from anyone around here, you don't want vinyl. It is inferior to digital :hide:
    (Detractors need not reply.)

Paul_T, PyroMessiah, Martyn and 4 others like this.
  22. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Everything is inferior to digital, even the master-tapes :biglaugh:

23. S. P. Honeybunch

DR Meter shows 3 DB difference in DR rating between Sidore and 2014 "Stairway".

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

And there's a 5dB difference on Custard Pie (which is a good thing because sonically Custard Pie always has sounded awful on CD until now). But those are outliers that you've cherry-picked. The vast majority of the new remasters rate 1-2dB lower on the DR meter than the Diament/Sidore CDs. And some tracks even rate the same.

You have a right to your own opinions of course, but not to your own facts. These new remasters clearly used some light peak limiting. But they are not heavily compressed. It's simply untrue.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

You can say "they are heavily compressed" over and over, and it won't get any truer. There is no evidence to support your claim.

The rest of your comment here also is based on zero evidence. I'm sure it's not your intention, but the content of your comment is indistinguishable from trolling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.