Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #63)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Byrd - My Ladye Nevells Booke" performed by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

Robin L, Mik and ToddBD like this.
  2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The only version of Debussy's Petit Suite I own is in a big boxed set. Looks like something I need to rectify.

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book" performed on various instruments by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

Robin L, Mik and ToddBD like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

5. coopmv

:righton:

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

My pleasure! There's a good chance the sym. will be coupled with the same composer's overture to Ali Baba. If so, don't miss it: that must be one of the silliest pieces of music ever penned by a respected composer (and in his day, Cherubini was a major, deeply respected figure indeed, supposedly considered the greatest living composer by none other than Beethoven); in Toscanini's account, it lasts 6:12, all stops and starts until just less than two minutes from the end, when it launches into a coda of wildly extravagant, unrestrained Janissary music. Yes, nearly a third of the thing is coda. Needless to say, Toscanini whips the heck out of it.

If you want to hear the more serious side of Cherubini, in a work closer to the core of what gave him his reputation (foremost as an opera and liturgical composer), try his Coronation Mass in A. As I'm recalling things--and it's been years and years since I played it; really should give it another whirl--the credo movement, in particular, is terrifically effective, with the choir time and again emphatically affirming faith: I believe! My recording is by Muti on Angel; dunno if better ones are out there. Certainly it's not a frequent entry into the record companies' catalogues. I do remember that the reviewers at the time took Muti mildly to task because he substituted--bassoons, was it?--for the ophicleids specified by the composer.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hi,

I'll confess I'm not familiar with the suite, which in its original form is a bit off the beaten track, but I can say that it was written for piano, four hands (i.e., two pianists sitting at and playing the same piano). That was an extremely popular format in the 19th and up into the early 20th century, in no small part because it gave guys and their lady friends a socially acceptable excuse to get into much closer contact than was otherwise permitted!

I can't give you a recommendation from experience, but since nobody else seems to be able to, either, here's where I would start, shooting blind, if I were looking for a recording of the piece for myself on Amazon:

On LP: http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Tamir-French-Music-Pianos/dp/B001AW8WLG/ref=sr_1_39?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1417818745&sr=1-39&keywords=debussy petite suite piano

I'm pretty sure Eden and Tamir were widely respected in their day. I have them in other literature, also on London LPs, but not in Debussy.

On CD: http://www.amazon.com/Debussy-Album-Blanc-Noir-Claude/dp/B0000041M2/ref=sr_1_45?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1417818941&sr=1-45&keywords=debussy petite suite piano

The Labeques are today's "superstar" four hands team, and in general they live up to their billing.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck! (Oh, and please do feel free to hang around and join the discussion here; we all love to meet fresh faces....)

Whistle likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is another great Isle IMO. The Third Symphony on that set is my favorite recording of the piece.

9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I have some Reger stuff but not that one. I think I may have heard it at one point.

10. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, which arrived a few days ago ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  11. coopmv

Excellent performance and recording. Now playing CD2 ...

12. coopmv

This excellent recording is in my LP collection as well ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Only know the original shellac,I prefer the later Toscanini done for broadcasts.

14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have only found one Arpad Joo record on that label,nothing else.

15. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Enjoyed the Violin Concertos from this set this morning. Plan to dig in deeper this weekend.

Mik, bluemooze and dale 88 like this.
  16. coopmv

Helmut Muller-Bruhl also recorded a number of works by JS Bach and Telemann and I enjoy them all even though they are not HIP but the performances were first rate IMO ...

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Bach - The Well-tempered Clavier, Book II" performed by Andras Schiff on London.

[​IMG]

Mik and john greenwood like this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, side 17 from "Bach - Cembalowerke II" from the "Die Neue Bach-Edition" box sets on Archiv.

Side 17 performed by Ralph Kirkpatrick.
    • Suite BWV 818a
    • Applicatio BWV 994
    • 3 Menuette BWV 841-843

[​IMG]

Mik and john greenwood like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, side 18 from "Bach - Cembalowerke II" from the "Die Neue Bach-Edition" box sets on Archiv.

Side 18 performed by Ralph Kirkpatrick.
    • Suite BWV 819
    • Vier Duette BWV 802-805

ToddBD and Mik like this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Charpentier - Oratorio De Noel: Pastorale sur la Naissance de notre Seigneur Jesus-Christ" performed by The Roger Blanchard Choral And Instrumental Ensemble on Nonesuch.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and Mik like this.
  21. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to these CDs.

Soulpope, Mik, J.A.W. and 1 other person like this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Monteverdi - Duets & Solos" performed by (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby and Evelyn Tubb with the Consort Of Musicke on Regis.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Heard those the frst disc in the Decca Analog box

24. john greenwood

Listened to his entire set of Partitas during a six hour plane delay of a three hour flight yesterday.

Mik, John S and bluemooze like this.
  25. john greenwood

I have at least one recording for two pianos, but I am away. I can check tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.