Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #63)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I received it three days ago. :) Good for us!

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "A Renaissance Christmas Celebration" performed by the Waverly Consort on Columbia.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and Mik like this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Monteverdi - Christmas Vespers/Three Motets" performed by the Accademia Monteverdiana led by Denis Stevens on Nonesuch.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Bach - The Well-Tempered Clavier" performed by Wanda Landowska on RCA.

[​IMG]

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Handel - Trio Sonatas" performed by The English Concert led by Trevor Pinnock on Archiv.

[​IMG]

Mik and ToddBD like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Marco Da Gagliano - La Dafne" performed by the Monteverdi-Chor Hamburg and Camerata Accademica Hamburg led by Jurgen Jurgens on Archiv.

[​IMG]

Mik and ToddBD like this.
  7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

That would be really interesting. Never heard it. But I have some Brahms & Schubert from them: pretty good.

I think I should consult the eClassical and HD-Klassik soon.

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

It's been a Beethoven afternoon. Archduke-Trio (Storioni Trio), 7th Symphony by Kleiber & Bayerisches Staatsorchester (c-cassette? recording on SACD!), Violin Sonatas 4 & 5 'Spring' by Kagan & Richter.

[​IMG]

Kleiber's live-Beethoven is still faster than his DG recording (1st movement only is 2 minutes faster! probably he has dropped some repetitions off?), especially the (slightly) slower moments are almost hysterical. I mean, they're that fast. But then again, if they were played slower, then the contradiction between them and the tumultuous faster moments would be unbearable. Better that way.

Oleg Kagan (not to be confused with the younger cellist, Kogan), with a little help from some Richter dude, do quite convincing sonatas. (My LP is a seventies EMI, but I couldn't find a proper cover pic: on the back cover Kagan's name is translitterated as Kagaan. Wild.)

[​IMG]

Now, what's next? It's plus-minus zero Celsius degrees outside, melting wetwet snow, it's very unpleasant to take a slow sunday evening walk... Perhaps some mo' Beethoven (haven't listen him much recently). Like -

[​IMG]

Mik, Soulpope, J.A.W. and 1 other person like this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Not familiar with Kagan, I looked him up in my favorite online reference source: Wikipedia, the encyclopedia anyone can edit. (Including me; I've written a few articles along the line myself. Despite that clear lapse of judgement on Wikipedia's part, I still trust it for basic information. But I digress.) Sad story; seems he came to a bad, early end:

As Kagan seemed to be approaching the zenith of his career he became seriously ill with cancer in 1989. He had several surgeries, but struggled to remain active, touring Europe when he could and arranging festivals. Though his doctors at a hospital in Lübeck, Germany, declared him too sick to be released, Kagan discharged himself to appear at his final festival, in Kreuth am Tegernsee, Bavaria. Shortly after giving two Mozart concerts there, where he had to be helped on-stage, he died on July 15, 1990, not yet 44.

Not quite the same as dropping dead in the middle of performing the Grieg pno. cto., but not too far removed, either.

10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Sergei Rachmaninoff – Piano Concerto no.3, Op.30
    Van Cliburn — Symphony of the Air — Kirill Kondrashin

Sergei Prokofiev – Piano Concerto no.3, Op.26
    Van Cliburn — Chicago Symphony Orchestra — Walter Hendl (Living Stereo—RCA Red Seal / Sony Music)

[​IMG]

Mik, heman__, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Now enjoying the lovely performances of the cello concertos from the above box.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It is an interesting CD cover. A dog and a rabbit but no lamb ... :winkgrin:

13. coopmv

Is this ensemble still around? It used to be pretty popular some 20 years ago when I listened to classical FM a bit more often ...

bluemooze likes this.
  14. coopmv

I have yet to hear another recording that can top English Concert/Trevor Pinnock on the rendition of these works since I bought this CD quarter of a century ago ...

bluemooze likes this.
  15. coopmv

I found a rainy evening like last night provides a perfect setting for listening to these works - 3 more SACD's to go ...

16. coopmv

I think the Dutch Isabelle has been around longer, as she made a few Philips recordings back in the 90's ...

17. coopmv

How is the SQ of these two Orfeo recordings, especially the SACD?

18. coopmv

Now playing SACD1 from the following box in my JS Bach collection. Many folks think Mass in b is the greatest choral work composed by JS Bach ...

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

Now playing SACD2. Johannette Zomer is quite good as the soprano in this recording, though I still like Elly Ameling better ...

20. coopmv

As long as this box is no worse than the Philips box sound wise, we should all be happy. I bought this box last year ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived a few days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Suites For Solo Cello" performed by Hidemi Suzuki from the "DHM 50th Anniversary Edition" box set.

[​IMG]

Mik and markedasred like this.
  23. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

My only version for two pianos is part of a three disc set of Debussy chamber music from the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.

George P likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Richard Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spoke Zarathustra), Op.30; Tod und Verklärung (Death and Transfiguration), Op.24; Der Rosenkavalier, Op.59 (Waltz Suite); Capriccio, Op.85 - Rudolf Kempe/Staatskapelle Dresden - Richard Strauss: Complete Orchestral Works - Warner Classics (EMI recordings); disc 1

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Mik, markedasred and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.