Led Zeppelin I-IV 2014 remasters considered the best?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I heard Zep I for the first time today, first of any new 2014, and I was quite impressed. Sounds like a freshly dusted off painting.
    Convincing enough that I'm going to buy a couple more.

Shak Cohen and tmtomh like this.
  2. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The 2014 LZ Reissues are the real deal. Retire the others to the used bins.

progrocker and tmtomh like this.
  3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Diaments: IV excepted as he didn't work on it. Do we know that Barry Diament didn't have 1st gen. tapes for most of the albums?

Marino/Page: I believe it was confirmed here by forum member Zal Schreiber that when he did the transfers for Marino and Page to work with, he used the exact same tapes which were previously used by Barry Diament. Has this recently become untrue?

John Davis: Agree.

Billy Infinity and tmtomh like this.
  4. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yes i know Diement didn't work on IV. My little comparison was overall and he did all the others.

Really? haven't heard that. Can anyone confirm this? Page was inwolved so i assumed they were from the original tapes. Wasn't that the reason why they did a new remaster in the first place because Page thought the Diements were lacking definition due to bad tapes?

5. evad

evad Well-Known Member

6. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I'm curious if people still like the expensive RetroActive set, especially those who perceive excessive compression on the 2014 remasters.

tmtomh and gramfan like this.
  7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

+1

The absurd hyperpole does not help either.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Ha ha....new thread, same debate.
    :-popcorn:

9. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yepp, LZ is a tricky subject :D
    There are no "definitive" master either. All of them have different problems.

Chooke and tmtomh like this.
  10. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

In this Jimmy Page interview to promote the Crop Circles box set, he says that the very first CDs were mastered from ''sub-standard tapes'' , and without his consultation (4.44 mins)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  11. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Sidore Led Zep IV makes a nice drink coaster now that I heard the 2014 remaster.
    Barry Diamante masterings are incredible. The 2014 masterings are incredible as well. I do a Houses Of The Holy shootout weekly and still cannot declare a winner.
    You really cannot go wrong with any of 2014 and Diamante masterings. It is a win win situation.

marcfeld69 and tmtomh like this.
  12. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Is it really so hard?

13. :cop:

14. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Right. But what is your source for knowing that the tapes he used on the rest but weren't sometimes 1st gen.?

I believe you'll have no problem confirming this with some searching, and the irony long ago spotted here.

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Since we know that all musicians (especially Jimmy Page!) are 100% honest and forthcoming, this confirms it. ;)

I do believe that he wasn't consulted, but given how the Marino/Page remasters were handled, perhaps somebody at WEA had some insights for which we should be thankful? As for the difference in tapes between the originals and first remasters? Don't buy it.

Referring to the original CDs by Barry Diament and the source tapes used, Zal Schreiber's info in this thread is interesting:

"The tapes he used, I believe, were the only ones that were ever used, even by Jimmy in his mid 90s remastering. As I held the boxes quite a few times myself over the years, and then saw them "pulled" by the library at the time of the last go around, I feel that they were the same ones."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/question-for-zal-regarding-original-led-zeppelin-cds.51376/

BDC, Engineer X, mdm08033 and 3 others like this.
  16. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Yes, I always mess up the spelling of Barry's last name.

bjerker likes this.
  17. evad

evad Well-Known Member

18. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I'm in my early 50's, I have tinnitus and I like 'em!

vonwegen likes this.
  19. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

To me, a "little bit of peak limiting" is like "a little bit pregnant."

You still have to live with the results.. ;)

That said, you have *peaked* my interest on the 2014 remasters... What would be the best album to try first??

Kevin

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    danielbravo and Holy Diver like this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

HOTH would be my vote.

21. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

Some tracks in these remasters have music edited out at the fades like the 1990s CDs.

22. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident

Seeing that is just potty 4 ways, maybe Led Zep IV?

You know, one good thing about these kind of outcomes is that people do end up having a choice - all versions of these CDs are easy to get hold of.

Genuinely botched extremes aside (ie of CD remasters in general), you are never going to please every ear out there with any one 'master', especially when people have a good idea of how different (ie better for their taste or their system) the music could sound.

danielbravo likes this.
  23. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I only bought the 2014 remaster of LZII and I think it sounds pretty nice. I haven't listened to the other ones and only have the previous remaster of Houses Of The Holy. I guess that's the Marino one? Is the new 2014 remaster of Houses Of The Holy a little better or leaps and bounds better?

24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

:doh:

25. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Dementi?

Nightswimmer and 4stringking73 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.