Led Zeppelin I-IV 2014 remasters considered the best?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been impressed with the vinyl reissues too but I think I'll still go with my UK plum Zep IV over the reissue.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The original UK plum of IV is pretty great!

Giorgio likes this.
  3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Yes...and it fades early on the 2014 as well. Otherwise, I love the new LZIV.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

The only two I can compare on vinyl is the 2014 IV and the Classic Records IV and the Classic wins hands down IMO. The depth of the sound and dynamics on Stairway is SO much better on the Classic vinyl.

5. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

What Zal Schreiber recalls as someone who worked for Atlantic in NY and who is credited on the COMPLETE STUDIO RECORDINGS says a thousand times more than just pulling ideas out of thin air. I think the latter is just about where your idea came from regarding source tapes used for the Diaments and the Marino/Page remasters.

I know whose comments I value.

The Gomper and Shak Cohen like this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It sure is. It's the UK plum title that I own but I've been thinking about getting I and III. I think I have enough different pressings of II.

7. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

It is, and the 2014 isn't better, but it holds it own, is better than my Japanese press and on a par with my US copy, I call it a close 2nd.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

It doesn't matter if the recording has a whole bunch of dramatic peaks or one peak. The limiting allows the engineer to raise the volume of the quieter portions relative to the louder portions, as we find egregious on "Stairway". Also, on "Heartbreaker", the 2014 limiting makes the guitar solo freak out section prior to the last verse seem extremely compressed relative to other masters like crop circles and Diament. We are used to hearing extreme peaks in this section. Since they are greatly limited, the effect is a heavily blurred guitar solo section that is supposed to be highly dynamic. Instead of dynamic it is blunted by compression and sounds bland and maximized.

Holy Diver and humpf like this.
  9. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Sorry i don't hear it but i respect your opinion.

Hate compression/limiting myself and iv'e become very good at spotting it, rejecting tons of remaster-series over the years.
    Listening to these i simply can not hear it. To my ears they are improved. And in my ears i trust :D

The Gomper and tmtomh like this.
  10. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

If I post "the sky is green" a few dozen times, will that make it any closer to being true?

11. Probably for the colourblind.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

The 2014 remasters are definitely the best digital versions. Dynamic and well EQ'd on every album so far.

Master_It_Right and tmtomh like this.
  13. S. P. Honeybunch

You are correct that the 2014s are more dynamic than Metallica's Death Magnetic CD.

DHamilton and Holy Diver like this.
  14. S. P. Honeybunch

The 2014 has some dynamics, but you will hear the improved musical dynamics difference of an earlier master if you play the guitar solo section on two different masters back to back after normalizing the two masters to the same RMS level.

15. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

That was my impression also when listening to LZII. Next on my list is LZIV and then HOTH.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. 1973_2fk4

1973_2fk4 Active Member

SORRY - it plays 192/24 through the chinch connection - I was a little bit confused...

lienot

17. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

So far "Going To California" and "Ramble On" have the endings lopped off on these 2014 remasters. Full recordings only available on the 1980s CD, tapes, and most vinyl except Classic Records.

The Gomper, Holy Diver and tmtomh like this.
  18. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

The 2014 remaster of IV is very compressed compared to all other releases. View the waveform for WTLB.

Holy Diver likes this.
  19. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Keep seeing people like the 2014 III, take a listen to my rip of an A5/B5 UK Plum. Better clarity and detail, the 2014 sounds muddy and veiled in comparison, like it wasn't even from the master tape!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  20. bluyot25

bluyot25 New Member

I found the 2014 CDs very good... at first, but the more I listen, the less I like them. Too clean, disjointed, the vocals are too loud and separated. For example, the magic of Stairway is a bit ruined for me. I think too much clarity is one of the biggest mastering mistakes.

The 80s Diament/Sidore CDs sound nice, natural but the tape dropouts on Led Zeppelin IV make them imperfect.

The '94 Marino CDs have their defects, too: the EQ is not so good. But I think they are nearly not as bad as most people say. At first they train the ears a bit, but after that I can enjoy them very much. :)

danielbravo likes this.
  21. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Not sure which thread is the best to post in, but this one looks close:

I got the 2014 vinyl remaster of LZ II and liked it very much. It didn't beat my RL copy, but it had its own virtues, and the sound was open and dynamic.

I got the HD downloads of IV and HOTH and was disappointed. They both have a kind of "glassy" sound in the upper midrange and they both sound less dynamic than the original US vinyl or the Sidore/Diament CDs. (I have the Marino remasters but can't stand to listen to them because of the EQ.) When I ran a DR check of IV vs. the Sidore CD, it was 9 vs. 12, which confirmed what I heard by listening.

In general, are you finding the vinyl remasters to sound more dynamic than the hi-res digital versions? It's a shame, if so, but it does mean I'll be getting the vinyl version of Physical Graffiti instead of the download.

22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I do not have the vinyl for comparison but I am quite pleased with both the flac red book and especially the hi res 2014 crop.

23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

So....final answer guys.
    Stick with my originals, or grab these remasters?

24. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Stick with your originals AND get the remasters. You can't have too much Zep!

Black Widow and tmtomh like this.
  25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I don't need multiple copies if its not necessary. So, stick with my originals?

humpf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.