Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

I bet you Moving Pictures and 2112 will come at a hefty price out of the whole lot.

dennis the menace likes this.
  2. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I was under the impression that the first one, already released Rush Self-titled, WAS actually AAA. Was it not?

And how does it compare directly against the best original version?

3. DrownedGod

DrownedGod Forum Resident

Apparently all of the albums from FBN thru Show of Hands will be released on vinyl in 2015, as well as 5.1 BD versions of FBN, AFTK, and Signals...

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Awesome news...Ready to hit the pre-order button.

5. UglyAudio

UglyAudio Forum Resident

Good news indeed!

6. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I suppose those are the same 5.1 mixes as the DVD-A's of those 3 titles?

7. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

Rush has announced that they will be re-issuing their first 13 albums on vinyl next year. Each month will correspond with a release. Their first self-titled has been released a few months ago.

Tuesday, December 9th, 2014
    12 MONTHS OF RUSH: 14 Albums from Mercury era for release in 2015
    All titles will be reissued on high-quality VINYL with a download card for Digital Audio version, high resolution Digital Audio releases, while three titles will also be released on Blu-ray Pure Audio.
    Earlier this year, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) kicked off its own celebration of the band’s 40th anniversary with the reissue of Rush’s self-titled 1974 debut.
    In 2015, vocalist/bassist/keyboardist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart, who joined the band in July, 1974, shortly after the release of that first album and two weeks before the group’s inaugural U.S. tour, will see the reissue of the remaining 14 albums in their Mercury catalog in chronological order. Starting on January 27 with Fly By Night, which will be available in high-quality vinyl with a download code for a 320kbps MP4 vinyl ripped Digital Audio album download; high resolution Digital Audio editions in DSD (2.8mHz), 192khz / 24-bit, 96kHz / 24-bit; and an additional Blu-Ray Pure Audio version with 96kHz / 24-bit 5.1 surround sound and stereo. A Farewell to Kings and Signals are the other two albums which will be reissued in Blu-Ray Pure Audio. The remaining 13 titles will be released one or two a month through the end of the year.
    January 27: Fly by Night (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio / Blu-Ray Audio)
    The 1975 release of Fly By Night was the first to feature drummer Neil Peart, who also became the band’s lyricist. The singles included the title track and “Making Memories.” Fly By Night reached #113 on the Billboard chart, going platinum in both the U.S. and Canada.
    February: Caress of Steel (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    The second album to be released in 1975, the band’s third release marked their emergence into more hard prog-rock styles as opposed to the blues-based style of the group’s first two albums. Singles included “The Necromancer: Return of the Prince” and “Lakeside Park.” Although the album peaked at #148 on the Billboard charts, it has since gone gold in both the U.S. and Canada.
    March: 2112 (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    The group’s fourth album, first released in 1976, proved a breakthrough, highlighted by its seven-part title suite written by Lee and Lifeson, with lyrics by Peart, recounting a dystopian story set in the year 2112. It came in at #2 on Rolling Stone’s list of “Your Favorite Prog Rock Albums of All Time.” Most Rush fans consider it the band’s definitive recording, as the album sold 3 million in the U.S., going triple-platinum.
    All the World’s a Stage (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    This 1976 double-live album was recorded at Toronto’s Massey Hall June 11-13, during the band’s 2112 tour, with the title a nod to William Shakespeare. The record climbed to #40 on the U.S. Billboard chart, and going platinum in the States and Canada.
    April: A Farewell to Kings (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio / Blu-Ray Audio)
    This 1977 release, the band’s fifth studio album, was recorded at Rockfield Studios in Wales and mixed in London’s Advision Studios. It became the band’s first U.S. gold-selling album within two months of release, and went platinum. The singles included “Closer to the Heart” and “Cinderella Man,” while the album peaked at #33 on the Billboard 200 and #22 on the U.K. album charts.

May: Hemispheres (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    Another favorite of true Rush fans, this sixth studio album, released in 1978, once more explored fantasy and science fiction themes in Neil Peart’s lyrics. The final track, the ambitious nine-and-a-half minute “La Villa Strangiato,” was the band’s first instrumental. The album peaked at #47 on the Billboard charts, and was the group’s fourth consecutive gold album in the U.S., featuring the singles “The Trees” and “Circumstances.”
    June: Permanent Waves (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    The seventh studio album was released on January 1, 1980, and recorded at Le Studio in Quebec, becoming the first U.S. album to go Top Five, peaking at #4 on the Billboard charts. The effort marked a transition from the band’s long, conceptual pieces into a more accessible, radio-friendly style on such rock airplay hits as “The Spirit of Radio” and “Freewill,” with the album going platinum.
    July: Moving Pictures (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    Rush’s eighth studio album, released in February, 1981, also turned out to be their biggest-selling in the U.S., rising to #3 on the Billboard charts (and #1 in Canada), as one of the first discs to receive the RIAA’s first-ever multi-platinum designation, scoring 4 million sales to date in the U.S. on the strength of classics like “Limelight,” “Tom Sawyer” and “Vital Signs.”
    Exit… Stage Left (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    Released in August, 1981, this live album was recorded during the Moving Pictures tour at the Montreal Forum and in Glasgow Scotland, peaking in the Top 10 of the Billboard charts, buoyed by live versions of “Close to the Heart,” “Tom Sawyer” and “A Passage to Bangkok.”
    August: Signals (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio / Blu-ray Audio)
    This September, 1982, release marked the band’s increase use of electronic instrumentation, especially sequencers and electric violin (played by Ben Mink), peaking at #10 on the Billboard charts and eventually going platinum. A total of five singles were released from the album, including “Subdivisions,” which became a live staple of their concerts, along with “New World Man,” “The Analog Kid,” “The Weapon” and “Countdown.”

September: Grace Under Pressure (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    Released in April, 1984, the band’s tenth studio album reached #10 on the Billboard chart and went platinum. Alex Lifeson called it “the most satisfying of all our records.” It was the first album they recorded without long-time producer Terry Brown, eventually producing it themselves. The song’s themes were influenced by the growing tensions in the Cold War. The music itself continued the presence of synthesizers introduced on Signals, as well as incorporating elements of ska and reggae into their sound. Singles included “Distant Early Warning,” “The Body Electric,” “Red Sector A:” and “Afterimage.”
    October: Power Windows (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    This 1985 release was Rush’s 11th studio album, and the first time they worked with producer Peter Collins, who recorded the album at The Manor in the U.K., George Martin’s AIR Studios in Montserrat and Sarm East Studios in London. It was also the group’s first CD release. More keyboards and synths were introduced into the sound, with “The Big Money” and “Mystic Rhythms” made into videos for MTV. The album once more hit #10 on the Billboard 200 and eventually sold a million copies, earning platinum status. Other singles included “Territories,” “Manhattan Project” and “Marathon,” the latter two topping the U.S. Mainstream Rock airplay charts at #10 and #6, respectively.
    November: Hold Your Fire (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    Released in September, 1987, Rush’s 12th studio album continues the band’s commitment to exploring new songwriting territory, with Aimee Mann contributing vocals to “Open Secrets” and “Time Stand Still,” appearing in the video for the latter. The album debuted at #13 on Billboard and eventually went gold. The other singles included “Force Ten” (#3 U.S. Mainstream Rock), “Lock and Key (#16 U.S. Mainstream Rock) and “Prime Mover.”

December: A Show of Hands (Vinyl+Download Code / High Res Digital Audio)
    The band’s third live album was released January, 1989, recorded while on tour in Birmingham, U.K., New Orleans, Phoenix and San Diego during the 1988 Hold Your Fire tour, as well as in the Meadowlands in New Jersey during the 1986 Power Windows tour. The opening track “intro” features the Three Stooges theme song, “Three Blind Mice,” a song the band used to open many of their concerts during the ‘80s. That same year, the group releasedpi a video of the same name on VHS and Laserdisc featuring the Birmingham show, while a DVD version was included as part of a 2006 box set and as a stand-alone the following year. The album reached #21 in Billboard, going gold, with the singles including “Closer to the Heart” and 12” promos of “Mission” and “Marathon.”

Too bad the rest of the catalogue won't be released on vinyl.
    Will these be sourced from the digital sources from the SECTOR boxsets? Most likely.

Any opinions? Will you be picking these up?

jon9091 likes this.
  8. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Depends on their packaging. Already have them all up to Presto, minus Caress. If it's the good s**t, then I'm in for Fly, Stage, Hemispheres, Exit, Fire and Hands.

If anybody doesn't own any Rush, strongly consider their live output during the Mercury period more than anything else. In many instances, they totally wreck their studio versions and I'm hard pressed to believe they've suffered anything more than 5% overdubs/corrections.

9. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I wonder why only three titles will be blu-ray audio?? Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings, and Signals.

10. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

If I recall correctly, these are the 3 titles that were mixed for surround in the sector sets

Scroller likes this.
  11. DrownedGod

DrownedGod Forum Resident

I believe so...

12. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to get 12 out of the 13 named titles in a thrift store 3 years ago.
    I had just finished looking at the meagre pickings on offer when a voice at my shoulder said
    "I have some new ones here'.......It was the help and she had 12 Rush Albums in her skip , within a few seconds they were mine,
    all covers in ex condition , a quick examination revealed that the vinyl was totally unmarked . paid 79 cents per plus tax , instant Rush collection
    for just over 10 dollars and they passed the final test, after a good clean , on my Linn Sondek over the next few days.
    Bought at Goodwill Orange Blossom Trail Orlando , only luck I have ever had at that location!

jon9091, Malina, dlm1129 and 4 others like this.
  13. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Let's hope they don't come out at the same price point as the self-titled.
    If so - I'm out.

DiabloG and coniferouspine like this.
  14. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Figures they stop just before the albums that are impossible to find on vinyl... (Presto, Roll, etc...)

I'm fortunate to have minty copies of every album from PW on... Including the RLs of Moving Pictures and Power Windows. (The latter sounds so good it made me rethink my vague dislike for half of the tracks.) And my 2112 is mint too, although it's not the GK. And my Hemispheres is the red vinyl... ;):D

But I'll definitely check these out if the reviews are good (didn't the S/T get some raves)... Plus I need a better Farewell.

15. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Good news. Several of my albums are just plain worn out, both the vinyl and cover.

16. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I was lucky to find a nice copy of Roll The Bones this year for only $10. The only vinyl I'm missing is Chronicles, Counterparts and Feedback.

c-eling likes this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think they'd get a lot more interest if they were releasing the post-Mercury albums.

18. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

My German pressing of Hemispheres is pretty amazing. I wonder how much these wil be improved, if at all.....

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Unlike the recent reissue campaigns for some of my other favorite bands (Zeppelin, Beatles, Iron Maiden) when it comes to Rush, I actually have the original vinyl pretty well covered....GK's, RL's etc. So I am less excited about these than the aforementioned bands. However, I say that now, chances are 12 months of Rush will become 12 months of activity on my credit card!

20. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I have originals up to and including "Roll the Bones" - not interested

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rush-hi-def/

[​IMG]

Rush‘s first 14 albums are returning to vinyl in 2015 — and they’re getting hi-def audio upgrades too.

Universal Music, the label that currently owns recordings released by the band’s former Mercury imprint, has announced an ambitious, year-long reissue campaign for the band’s classic early records, starting with the Jan. 27 release of 1975′s ‘Fly by Night’ (which follows the 2014 reissue of the group’s self-titled debut) and continuing for the rest of the year. Each album will be released on vinyl with a download code; they’ll also be available in high-resolution Digital Audio editions in DSD (2.8mHz), 192khz / 24-bit, 96kHz / 24-bit.

Three of the albums — ‘Fly by Night,’ 1977′s ‘A Farewell to Kings’ and 1982′s ‘Signals’ — will also be available in Blu-Ray Pure Audio, offering 96kHz / 24-bit 5.1 surround sound and stereo versions. ‘Fly by Night’ is already available for pre-order.

Vintage Vinyl News offers the complete reissue schedule, which the band’s website refers to as ’12 Months of Rush’ and will see at least one album released every month — with two coming in March in July. Check out the full list below, and start saving your disposable income now.

Rush 2015 Reissues
    January: ‘Fly by Night’
    February: ‘Caress of Steel’
    March: ’2112′
    March: ‘All the World’s a Stage’
    April: ‘A Farewell to Kings’
    May: ‘Hemispheres’
    June: ‘Permanent Waves’
    July: ‘Moving Pictures’
    July: ‘Exit … Stage Left’
    August: ‘Signals’
    September: ‘Grace Under Pressure’
    October: ‘Power Windows’
    November: ‘Hold Your Fire’
    December: ‘A Show of Hands’

22. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Judging by their recent vinyl edition track record (debut deluxe excluded - it is fantastic!) I don`t hold out much hope for these either. Everything could be done with utmost care until...URP get their hands on them, then it`s bye-bye quality control. Moving Pictures Live, Clockwork Angels - two of the absolute worst sounding records in my collection. Non-fill?...Check. Off-centre?...Check. Warped?...Check. Even if they were made properly will they still sound crap?...Check!!!. It`s getting to the point with vinyl reissues that I simply assume everything being reissued is rubbish until proven otherwise. Got minty GK, RL etc. of everything so I`ll hold out for reports before taking a chance :rant:

23. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I think these reissues are great for people just getting into vinyl or others that need an upgrade to the copy they already have or are filling holes in their collection. I'm going to pass on these since I have everything from Rush that I need.

Stuart S likes this.
  24. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

FBN vinyl is £21 at Amazon UK.

Ouch.

25. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Let the gouging commence!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.