OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

2. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Anyone have any idea why my copy of “Finding Neverland” the LPCM audio will not play if I play from HDD. I can play it from the computer or I can play the original disc but the backup file that is a 24/48 LPCM.
    Under the info button, there is no audio but if I press the audio button there is one audio option “LPCM”
    I re-encoded it a second time and it did the same thing?

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Anyone else not feeling the love for the Darbee? I've tried it on a few discs (mainly non-anamorphic DVDs) and haven't really noticed a significant difference, even with the split screen demo. Any suggestions on specific titles where you're noticed an improvement? Or suggestions on what percentage is optimal, on average?

I'm loving everything else on the 105D, though.

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I thought I'd have figured this out by now but; no - so I may as well ask.

HDMI connections - is there a way to set them so that the audio doesn't fade in and out a few times whenever I turn the TV on or off? Back when I had the 83, there was just a single mild glitch when the TV was turned on while I was playing a CD but, with the 105, it's far more severe. And much more annoying.

scobb and Jerry Horne like this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sounds like a result of the HDMI handshake that the TV/player requires. Unavoidable.

gregorya likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I experience the same delay and loss of audio if I turn off my display. It is unavoidable as Sam mentioned. It doesn't bother me as it is an issue with HDMI and not the 103 that I have.

Bill

7. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I get the same thing. There are a couple OPPO remote apps that I use from a tablet to avoid needing a monitor most of the time. The apps are available for Android and Apple devices. They will not let you make adjustments to your settings, however. You can pick tracks to play from a CD/SACD or thumb drive. You can also use JRiver's GIZMO app to play audio files from a connected computer without turning on the monitor.

8. Actually, they will. At least the 3.0.2 version for iOS let's you access the full settings page. This version has other problems, alas, such as crashing when accessing a NAS via SMB, e.g.

Coricama likes this.
  9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I had a similar issue the unsatisfactory cure with my panny was to connect to an HDMI socket on the TV that didn't support CEC.

10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

You can access setting without using a monitor?

honestdenverman likes this.
  11. Yes, the full settings content.

honestdenverman and Coricama like this.
  12. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Something new to try. I think I have the right app loaded. I have never been able to get that part of the remote to connect to the BDP. I'll try again.

13. honestdenverman and tmtomh like this.
  14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Hopefully they got the bugs worked out. When it works, I prefer this by a mile over using the Oppo remote with a tv to play files, videos and discs. Light years faster.

My previous version of the Oppo Media App usually works, so I'm waiting to read how this new one works just in case it's a dud.

15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 103d to go with my new 4K Samsung 65inch - I'll have to read through this thread.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Do check, if it's available in your locale, the Cambridge Audio 752BD. Cracking player for the money. Great performance across the board. No USB DAC however if that's important.

17. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The 103 has no USB DAC either, they are pretty much identical (the 752BD is based on the 103, only with a different audio section). I'd expect the Cambridge to be more expensive, though.

18. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

You're saying the 752 is actually basically a modded 103? I had no idea. The price differential is significant - the 752 costs about as much as the 105, yes? That must be one hell of an audio-section upgrade.

The 103 and 752 have no USB DAC to be sure, but the still is accessible to anything with a coax, optical, or HDMI output. So that provides a lot of options.

19. Hasn't that been true for the Cambridge players for quite a while now? I seem to remember that even the 650BD was "just" a modded BDP-83.

20. wolfram

Yes, I'd say the the different audio section is a major difference. The Wolfson chips used are supposed to be far superior and the Cambridge even has 3 of them for multi-channel alone (1 for two channels each, were the 105 still has only one for all 6). Whether the sound difference is to your liking and worth the extra money is a matter of taste, I'd say. I tested the 752 and went for the Oppo in the end, but the Cambridge is indeed a very fine sounding player. I can't compare it to the 103, though.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. wolfram

Yes, I think that's true.

David Johnson likes this.
  22. Brother_Rael

No. Cambridge has produced a long line of universal players. Both use the same Mediatek platform but both companies then use their own facilities to develop their own players independently.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think the best way is to compare the 752BD and the 105 in ones system. I'd be more inclined to go with the 105 for the added features. But the 752BD could very well be the better sounding player (analog use).

Bill

Brother_Rael likes this.
  24. Brother_Rael

I don't think the 752 (or its predecessor) is "based" on the Oppo, but more down to both using, as I'd mentioned in an earlier on here, the same Mediatek platform. In effect, Mediatek is the basis for both!

tmtomh likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why would you not think the 752BD was "based" on the Oppo 103? Looking at the physical size, button layout on the front panel and the rear panel it looks very similar to the 103. I see no issue with the 752BD being "based" on the 103 as both players are excellent. Also Oppo is an outstanding company know for excellent products.

Bill

Coricama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.