Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 63 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

In a minimalist mood. Last night I heard a recital that included Part's Spiegel im Spiegel. Tonight I listened to Feldman's Piano and String Quartet (performed by Takahashi and Kronos).

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That 4th Symphony certainly is. I am very fond of Bernstein's collaboration with Andre Watts in the Second Piano Concerto.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Come to think of it, I have only heard Andre Watts' recordings over classical FM but do not own any of his recordings ...

5. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Lumieres - Music of the Enlightenment

CD 9: From 'Sinfonia' to 'Sinfonie'

Giovanni Battista Sammartini – Sinfonia JC14, JC39 — Ensemble 415 — Chiara Banchini
    Wilhelm Friedemann Bach – Sinfonie in Fmaj Falck 67 — Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin — Stephan Mai
    Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach – Orchester-Sinfonie no.1 Wq.183/1 — The English Concet — Andrew Manze
    Johann Christian Bach – Symphony in G min Op.6/6 — Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin — Stephan Mai
    Luigi Boccherini – Symphony 'La cas del Diavolo' op.12/4 G.506 — Ensemble 415 — Chiara Banchini

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

George, just before turning the thread over you mentioned a growing fondness for Brahms. Here's an interesting tidbit: the first conductor to record all four Brahms syms. was none other than Leopold Stokowski, and, his reputation notwithstanding, they are remarkably unidiosyncratic performances (if that's a word).

Walter H and bluemooze like this.
  7. john greenwood

My Juilliard professor wants to do a whole semester on Brahms next fall. My fingers are crossed that there will be enough interest expressed.

Mik, Robin L and George P like this.
  8. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Just ordered this set a minute ago, looked it up on Amazon USA, then Canada, bought it from Amazon UK
    for 23 British pounds = $37.

9. john greenwood

No picture.

10. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Sorry about that, I was speaking of the Lumieres - Music of the Enlightenment mentioned above. Great price
    for anything that says Harmonia Mundi on it...

11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Does anyone know when the Pierre Monteux Complete RCA Recordings box set will be issued domestically in the USA? Presently only available as import from what I can find.

12. George P

Stokowski was one of the greats, wasn't he?

And I happen to be a fan of idiosyncratic performances.

EasterEverywhere, jukes and Robin L like this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Definitely. And so am I--just noting that when he wanted to, Stokowski could deliver a terrific "central" type reading, too. Quite the orchestral magician, that one was.

And now, Rev'rend, we devoted denizens of the choir must get underway taking our daughter to some seasonal activities for the rest of the day....

EasterEverywhere and Robin L like this.
  14. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Even Celibidache had some good things to say about him (and he was the guy who hated virtually every single conductor in the world except Furtwangler).

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have been enjoying the Bernstein symphony box very much. I don't have the extensive listening experience that many of our thread participants do, but to me he's great. :)

Robin L likes this.
  16. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

Robin L and john greenwood like this.
  17. George P

:thumbsup:

Now enjoying the Brahms first symphony from this box:

[​IMG]

18. john greenwood

Tempting. I'm not that big a Wagner fan, and I have two versions of "The Ring" already - one audio (Janowski on Sony), one video (Levine at the Met). I passed on the Solti Wagner box, which wasn't that much more. But maybe if I can find a discount . . .

19. john greenwood

I have earlier releases of the symphonies and the German Requiem. Both very satisfying.

I'm hoping that the re-release of the Szell Brahms that I ordered from CDJapan will show up one of these days - and that it will be an improved remastering.

20. john greenwood

Coffee and Handel. Concerti Grossi with Marriner/ASMF.

Correction - make that ECO and Leppard

bluemooze likes this.
  21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

22. john greenwood

There are vendors on Amazon selling the Solti/Wagner box (all the major operas including the Ring) new for about $80 including shipping. Apparently the librettos are on a CD-ROM. So unless the Blu-Ray is has improved sound through remastering and/or hi-res, the box sounds like the better value.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Mahler: Symphony 7 - Riccardo Chailly/Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam - 2 CDs, Decca

[​IMG]

PH416156, Soulpope, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

One of the Maestro's last Phase 4 recordings is a straightforward rendering of Brahms' First Symphony with the LSO. Stokowski was a showman but he was also very skilled, and he seemed to get out of the way of many of the "Heavy" scores, like Sibelius' Fourth Symphony.

I'll have to pull out the Phase 4/Stokowski box again, there's a recording of Beethoven's Fifth that is unusual and very interesting.

geralmar and bluemooze like this.
  25. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

This used to be my favorite recording of the piece for a long time, but nowadays it feels to me a bit too slow, especially the first movement. But still, this is one of the most beautifully recorded and played performances of the seventh out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.