Bing Crosby vs. Frank Sinatra -- contemporary stature.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Garbanzo, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I would add to this that Bing never made the transition to the LP era the way that Frank did. I think that Frank really understood the potential of the medium in a way that this contemporaries largely did not. I think that Sinatra had a greater "musical mind" than Bing, although I'm not sure exactly how I would define that. I also think that Bing allowed himself to become essentially a nostalgia act and largely coasted on his past fame. While Sinatra would of course record some dud LPs along the way, I do think he tried to remain "contemporary" in a largely age-appropriate manner, at least until the late 1960s or early 70s. It's hard to imagine Bing recording an LP like "Watertown," and it's even harder to imagine anyone tapping him to do so.

DR.J and guy incognito like this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

I don't agree.

Vincent Terranova likes this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Seen many Bing remasters lately? Other than Christmas stuff....

4. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

No other male pop singer compares to Sinatra in voice or stature, some come close, but Bing isn't one of them.

Karnak likes this.
  5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I would love to dig into Bing's discography. What's his best studio album, and is that a good place to start?

6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Comparing Sinatra to other singers of the American Songbook is like comparing The Beatles to other pop rock groups. It makes the others seem less than they really are. It's worth noting that Bing's heyday was in the late 20s and early 30s close to a century ago. In the 1950s he was already an older singer at an age where even classically trained vocalists are on their way downhill. It is remarkable that he is remembered to the extent that he was and virtually synonymous with Christmas ballad singing.

Fancy Meeting You Here with Clooney - IMO.

Rob Hughes, Jackson and bferr1 like this.
  7. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

As to contemporary stature...Sinatra. However it was Bing who directly influenced Sinatra, Martin, Como, Haymes, Cole, Eckstine etc. In other words Bing directly influenced the greatest generation of singers. Sinatra did not influence Presley. There are those who call the order of succession as to influence: Bing to Dean to Elvis and leave Sinatra out altogether.

8. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I don't know who ''those'' people are, i'd like to keep it that way.:)

9. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Nick Tosches for one.

10. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Even though Bing was the master of pop music at the time, Sinatra's youth and swagger gained him winning rights to the bobby soxers.

11. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I usually make mixes from the Chronological Bing Crosby series (i have most of Bing's output) because comps tend not to do his early jazz sides justice. But if you want to check him out, I'd suggest 16 Most Requested Songs for a nice balance of early 30s jazz and ballads and Bix n Bing for some of their fun jazz tracks from the 20s.

Vincent Terranova and bferr1 like this.
  12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I'm 42, and was always aware of Crosby (and Phil Hartman as Crosby.....with Jon Lovitz as his way-out son David Crosby). From the moment i started buying music, I was keen to add Sinatra to my collection. But only recently have I begun to appreciate Crosby's work---being somewhat burnt out on modern music and delving into 30's and 40's music lately. As a teenager (before the internet) looking for references or reviews of music for some sort of guidance of what to check out as I was building a record collection, I don't recall finding much about Bing (Sinatra was in the Rolling Stone Record Guide, Crosby was absent).

I'll have to check out the PBS program. I wonder how much of his dark side they cover?

13. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

i still need to see the doc, too, but from the interview i saw w the director, it sounds like they managed to update our perceptions about Bing's sides/moods with unseen info and footage. as the director said, Bing was not active to address personal stuff in the media- even when his reputation was at stake. the doc, on some matters, functions to finally clear some of his bad press.

here's a swinging jazz track from '32:

14. Vincent Terranova

Vincent Terranova Active Member

Comparing Singers from different eras is like comparing baseball players, etc. It makes for interesting discussion. Bing was on top way before we were born ( 1951 for me ), however he ruled the Radio, Movies and stage shows, and charts all at the same time. His 1929-42 run was staggering as far as showcasing him as the top Singer. Sinatra was a very good charter but not a continuous topper. His popularity on radio from 42-49, was mainly from a bobby sox crowd. Bing was pulling in the big sponsors and Frankie the little panties. Como from the sidelines was always a winner, because if you were either a Bing or Frank fan, you always bought a Como record. ( Como wins either way ). When the 50's came , Frank emerge on top because of his youth over Bing, long play records and Las Vegas, clubs. Bing didn't want to do Vegas for many reasons. Como had TV locked up. Frank was jittery on TV and Bing not motivated enough. Sinatra as the defender of the faith of ( popular song ) was the natural target from the new comers ( Johnny Ray, Tony Bennett, Dino and of course Elvis ). Bing and Como got a pass during this attack on Sinatra. Como actually did his best during the Roll and Roll era with chart toppers and again Bing was there barely trying but always in the game. Sinatra made anti-rock and roll statements which secretly showed that he was conservative and not open minded. Dino, Bing and Como never took themselves serious and it benefit them during these times. In the 60s Como rolled on, Elvis went into semi retirement, Bing hung in the background, but Sinatra started his third career. His voice not as soft and precise as the 40/50s, but the scars of life propelled him to the top as an icon singer. 70s show a strong comeback Elvis, steady as you go Como, Bing pulls a "London" in mid 70s that should be required listening for everyone and Sinatra retires, comes back and peaks as he enters the 80s. ( he did very little great studio work from 73 to the end ). That's a shame. The real question is was Bing a bigger star in his prime era or was Sinatra in his prime era . This is troubling because it is easy to define Bings prime era, Elvis prime era, Como was steady throughout, but what was Frank's prime era. I say 42-46, but many will say 54-58, others 64-67,etc You decide!!!

ShockControl likes this.
  15. Vincent Terranova

I'm a big Sinatra fan but an early Bing had an amazing voice. Listen from 1929-34.

16. Vincent Terranova

I think that they feel that these three singers didn't take themselves too serious. When Bing was ask ( in his later years ) How would you like to be remember/, he replied, Someone who sang a fair song. the interviewer was shocked by the modest answer. So I think the comment is not a strict succession on talent but that Dino was easy going and Elvis always hinted that he like the easy going Dino. Check out early Dino, there is a lot of Bing there.

17. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The fact that there are many choices suggests that he had a fairly lengthy and steady prime with some peaks and valleys along the way.

18. Vincent Terranova

Maybe that's the problem of comparing Frank with anyone. However that being said, Did Sinatra dominate any of those era ,more than Bing's 29-34 or Elvis's 55-60 or Beatles 64-68

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Here's a great one:

20. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Which is why i'm not a fan of that early material, a little too sedate for me. However i do enjoy most of what's on his ''Capitol Collectors Series'' CD and the ''Dream With Dean'' LP gets regular play at my house.

21. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I love the timbre of Crosbys voice in the fifties. Although he is overpowered by the arrangements I love the Bregman album.

22. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

another fun peppy track from the early jazz days of '31. start in at 1 minute to get to Bing's hot vocal:

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Did I hear right in the doc that he recorded like 700 singles for Decca? Is that accurate?

24. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

according to the Stats page on Bing Magazine, he recorded about 2,000 titles, not including recordings made on radio (4,000 broadcasts!)- listed as recording more songs than any other artist in history. he had 300 hits and 22 gold records. the stats are impressive. Bing made 104 films. he was in the top-10 box office stars for 15 years- and held the #1 spot for 5 years; nominated 3 times for an Oscar, and won for Going My Way. Bing Magazine here:

http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk

25. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I was just curious about the 700 number, if you break that out over 30 years that works out to about one two-sided single a month. Did they really release 78s that frequently back in the day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.