Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asat

asat Member

That´s exactly the question...do I want the cool cover or the hi audio quality. I do already own all Sectors plus MP and 2112 Blurays and the audio quality on all these is brilliant. At least to this pair of ears. But the nice covers.....

2. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

I'll be in for all of them.

All my copies are worn out

Ben Adams likes this.
  3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I want mastering information on the vinyl before I commit.

If it's status quo, I have it all already.

I should sell my extra vinyl copy of Fly By Night for less than half of what these will go for.

4. Olecranon

Olecranon Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing. I'll get the Vinyl release if it comes with the option to download hi res music files. Best of both worlds. If not, I'll snag the Blu Ray version.

5. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Well it's well known that the Permanent Waves tapes are shot. I remember reading after I bought my MOFI re master a couple years ago that they had a very hard time with the project. The brand of tape they used just didn't hold up well. I believe they had to make a digital copy because the tapes could not be used again. I've read where Geddy has said several of their masters are in horrible shape.
    Others more in the know will know what tape I'm talking about.

6. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

How does the MOFI re-master of Permanent Waves sound?

I found a silver disc original (US) issue of PW recently, and it sounds fantastic.

7. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

Well, I have my preorder in.

Man this is exciting for me. The ones I have are rooted, and getting the ones I don't have is not easy in Australia, they are not easy to come by unless you are prepared to spend a lot on eBay.

8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I was afraid of that. I guess my wallet isn't going to relax even though I have every vinyl release already.

I should probably take a wait and see attitude on this.

johnny q likes this.
  9. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I've got the Vinyl and it sounds superb. I don't have an original to compare it to though but this thing really sings. The only bad thing about it is the poor quality cover reproduction.

Murph likes this.
  10. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

I know this is primarily a vinyl release, but has anybody heard anything about releasing the hi-res downloads separately? The last try to release these in hi-res was a missed opportunity to get it absolutely right IMO, at least when it comes to most of the albums in the Sector releases (The Atlantic stuff sound good though). Would buy again if done right, but I'm not very interested in vinyl.

11. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

How does this happen? I have cassette tapes older than this album and they are fine!

johnny q and ian christopher like this.
  12. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Like I said, there are others here who probably know the brand of tape. It was notorious for degrading.

13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am in the same boat as you and subscribe to the same philosophy. However... as willing as the spirit may be, the flesh is weak :)

14. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

It would help if they were all released in the "rediscovered" style of the first album, but sadly I don't think that will be the case.

I'm expecting 12 months of Rush to cost me $400 -- or about one 2015 Rush concert for my family. Decisions....

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Actually, releasing these in typical LP format rather than "rediscovered" may help to keep the price down for us. Or perhaps it would be nice if buyers had the option, like the Zepppelin reissue campaign....buy the single LP/CD or go nuts and get the Super Deluxe boxes :)

ClassicRockTragic likes this.
  16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

mmmm.....Go nuts.

johnny q likes this.
  17. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

I always hear about how all their master tapes are in horrid condition. I always thought Rush was the one band to use top of the line equipment in everything including tapes. Why are their tapes falling apart while other artist going back to the 50's have almost pristine excellent condition tape?

18. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hey, me too! ESPECIALLY Grace: it is so interesting that that album sounds good in any shuffle play sequence. Power Windows in Chicago was an awesome show; I took my friend to see it for her first concert ever and she was just ecstatic.

19. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ah, can someone recapitulate what is actually in surround? "A Farewell to Kings and Signals are the other two albums which will be reissued in Blu-Ray Pure Audio" is not too clear about that-what was in the Sector boxes?

I did just get 2112 used for like $6 on Amazon! Haven't heard the Blu-ray yet but the CD sounded quite good in my car, for what that's worth. Listening to the whole 2112 is quite an experience, as opposed to the mere excerpts they usually play in concert.

Actually what I would love for them to play would be the entire Hemispheres suite: "Cygnus X-1" and then "Hemispheres"…hey, I should make a playlist like that…
    It would also be cool if they did "I think I'm Going Bald" live

20. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

And to be honest, with the Rediscovered box, I opened it, flicked through the bits in there which took all of about 2 minutes, then they are put away for good, taking up way too much of my limited shelf space!

Given that blu rays cost - what, about 25 pence to manufacture? - one would have thought they could throw one in free if you bought the vinyl.

21. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

The Rush S/T "rediscovered" vinyl was superb. These releases will be pretty much automatic buys: analog masters, DMM, Quality Record Pressing. Done right!

I have Fly By Night on preorder. Can't wait to shake the shack with one of my early Rush favorites.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  22. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Just had a Rush afternoon and finished with the "Rediscovered". Mine has a few irritating clicks and pops (despite thorough cleaning) and possibly the noisiest run out groove known to mankind. Wouldn't be so bad but it begins literally as the music finishes and makes me jump out of my skin! Anyone else's like that?

23. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Puzzles me as to why I've never been able to find an old copy of 'Fly By Night' on vinyl... and I live/work in do-able distances to 5 or 6 vinyl shops, including the Princeton Record Exchange... oh well, guess it doesn't matter now... I'll be a first day buyer for the vinyl reissue next month.

Ben Adams likes this.
  24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to confirm that these will be new hi-res masters?
    Seems strange considering the entire catalog was just released in 24/96 last year.

25. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The assumption is these are the same masters.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.