Technics SL-1200MK2 Upgrades (Pictoral)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by other threads asking about possible upgrades for the well known table, I thought seeing is believing (aka it can be done).

Please note if the pics are of your personal table (and the particular upgrades you are drawing attention to), otherwise it will be assumed the pics are from around the web.

Tri-Planar MKVII tonearm:

[​IMG]

SME M2-9R tonearm, Oyaide platter mat, TimeStep bearing most likely:

[​IMG]

Trans-Fi T3 Terminator Pro tonearm (Mike New Audio bearing) - This one is mine.

[​IMG]

Next? Yours?

2. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

What does an SL1200-MKII go for these days? Can you buy them new?

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

They were discontinued in 2010 but you can usually pick up a nice used one for around 400-500 dollars or on eBay for say 600-700

AcidPunk15 and Licorice pizza like this.
  4. russk

russk Forum Resident

I've heard one with an origin live arm. Total mod cost into it was close to 1200 bucks, with power supply and bearing. I thought it was a substantial improvement. Used costs of the table are kinda getting out of hand making a nice example close to 2k without a cartridge.

That being said I do wish Panasonic weren't a bunch of a holes and would bring it back. For 500 dollars that table was epic.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Licorice pizza and 56GoldTop like this.
  5. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Great DJ table but .....

6. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

:-popcorn:

Tommyboy and reidc like this.
  7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Those in the know claim if it were made again now it would sell for well over $1k even without cartridge. In the old days economies of scale were the only way Panasonic could avoid losing money on it.
    I'm in the camp with those who consider(ed) it a mediocre table at best, but for $400 inc. cartridge it was in a mediocre price range.

8. 56GoldTop

Audiomods Micrometer (Technics version):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  9. 56GoldTop

As posted in another thread:

Stock bearing:

[​IMG]

Mike New Audio bearing

(I've been using one for several years now. "Blacker" backgrounds? Very much so. Also, if you haven't yet installed it, the bearing easily doubles as home defense weaponry.)

[​IMG]

I believe Applied Fidelity will modify stock bearings, as well.

10. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

There's always 1200 haters lurking about. Mine is totally stock and will remain so but I still like to see fellow 1200 owners mods.

Jelloalien, Bhob, BuddhaBob and 9 others like this.
  11. russk

russk Forum Resident

Mines a totally stock black 1200mk2. When I upgraded I just couldn't bring myself to part with it. After I'm totally done building my new system I'm gonna break her out and do some mods. What do you guys think about KAB?

56GoldTop likes this.
  12. 56GoldTop

In the words of Billy Joel, "You may be right!" :laugh: I actually have one that I keep bone stock (with the exception of a KAB damper). It's currently my #2 table.

Funny thing is, I feel no need to bash other tables. Thorens, Garrard, Linn, Lenco, etc. etc. etc. They're all cool in my book.

13. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

My SL1200 MK2 has undergone several mods/tweaks and couldn't be happier with the results.

I want to post some pictures but can't figure out how to do that - Help!!

56GoldTop likes this.
  14. 56GoldTop

Dynavector tonearm, Funk Firm platter

[​IMG]

15. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Sweet!

ultron9 likes this.
  16. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I'm keeping the stock arm for now at least but still undecided on the cart I'm gonna get for mine in January.

56GoldTop likes this.
  17. 56GoldTop

I'm pretty sure there's a thread around here about posting pics. If I can find it, I'll post a link, unless someone else beats me to it. Would love to see what you've got going.

18. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

No mods here on the M5G! :D

ThinWhiteDuke and BuddhaBob like this.
  20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Behave! Hi Fi World modded one, new arm, offboard power supply, new mat, better cartridge. Ace review.

Even in stock form, the build and motor put many belt drive decks to shame.

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

"But" what? Have you actually listened to a modded 1210 or are you just typing stuff?

22. 56GoldTop

Just stumbled upon this vid.

SME 3009 and what looks to be a Sumiko Evo or Blackbird??? There's a Lenco and an Accuphase in the vid, too.

displayname and ultron9 like this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Nice arm! wOW, I would call that just slightly better than the mass produced stock arm. I don't know if I'd even put that arm on an SL-1200. If you've taken apart one as many times as I have (by the way the screws strip out pretty easy on these, so be careful), you'd know the build under there isn't all that great. It's a couple cheap plastic magnets and a so-so board as a drive mechanism. Yeah, it works well, but so does a Honda lawnmower -- it's not epic construction like that arm! People forget the LIST PRICE on even the TOTL SL-1200 in 2010 was only $500 so it realistically was a $350 table new. When they were discontinued, you could get them at the Panasonic outlets for $200! What does that tell you about Panasonic's actual manufacturing cost? Just because the ebay wolves and other fleecers are cashing in on it being discontinued and people's Beanie Baby mentality doesn't make the SL-1200 any more than a decent Honda-quality table. Now, don't get me wrong, I like mine, but I just passed up on a mint SL-1210 MG5 for $400 because I went to look at it and suddenly realized I was bored by the SL-1200 table in general (the hipster selling it got all offended because I didn't fall down on my knees like I had just discovered the holy chalice.) I think the best part of the sl-1200 is the platter and base. It's a good platter for the money you pay, and the base is solid. But they made some many, Panasonic's cost was probably really low after 30 years of production, so they could afford it.

Well.... It's a great design that works well and it's simplicity usually results in excellent longevity, but it ain't a Rolls Royce under there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This guy is charging like $600 for this upgrade. Why would you bother? If there's one part of the SL-1200 that has proven near-indestructable after three decades of DJ abuse, it's the Panasonic bearing on the SL-1200. It's a meaningless replacement, like getting rid of the engine of a Honda -- the best part.

25. 56GoldTop

Paul Hynes SR7-EHD outboard power supply for the 1200 (one of many external psu options)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.