Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Been too long for me, too. I shall listen to his Bach soon and post my impressions here.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton:

3. coopmv

I have the following CD where Schnabel and his son performed Concerto No. 2 for two keyboards, BWV 1061 together ...

[​IMG]

The recording was reconstructed/remastered by MOT ...

EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Shoot! I thought that I had that one, I guess I never picked it up! :shake:

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Vivaldi - Concerti per flauto e per violoncello" performed by Amarillis on Naive.

[​IMG]

Moonfish and Mik like this.
  6. coopmv

I think this may be his only Bach recording on Naxos Historical. Hat off to MOT and Ward Marston for having done such wonderful reconstruction/remastering to bring these wonderful performances to the CD format, as there is no way I will ever want to deal with 78 RPM ...

bluemooze likes this.
  7. coopmv

:righton:

I have been eyeing the following Bach Cello Suites by Ophelie Gaillard, who is supposed to be an excellent cellist ...

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

What do you think about those Edwin Fischer's WTC's on Naxos Historical? I have them as well ...

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

The Italian Concerto was issued in the United States as Victor set 806 on 4 12" 78s. The Toccatas were Victor set 532, one of the relatively unusual 10" 78 RPM classical sets (4 records). The concerto for two keyboards was Victor set 357, 3 12" 78s. That's the form in which I have all these recordings. I also have the Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue on 3 ss. of 2 12" HMV 78s (nos. 9511 and 9512), with the Prelude and Fugue no. 5 from the WTC Book I as filler. I don't know that they represent all Schnabel's commercial Bach recordings, but I think they come at least fairly close--a shame; there really should be a lot more.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

One of the last times I was buying 99 cent/$1.99 LPs at Hastings,I was stunned to pull out an early 90s US vinyl pressing of the Van Cliburn/Kondrashin Tchaikovsky #1 on this label.I already had an original Shaded Dog,an original Japanese Victor mono,and a .5 half speed issue,but I HAD to buy this,as it was so weird a pressing,and so late for a classical LP.I may be one of the few classical collectors who picks up multiple unusual vinyl pressings of the same recording.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Have the Toccatas as the HMV 78s,with no binder/album.

13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thank you: a good reminder!

So we get a lot of newly dressed sets'n'boxes of their music. First Nielsen beginning this spring, then Sibelius during the fall. And then, next year, all that stuff heavily discounted! :)

14. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I "recorded" the hd-stream of the concert on digibox in order to listen to it once again. Unfortunately, it sounds as compressed audio stream. Perhaps the "HD" means the picture only... However, I don't wonder if the sound is far from perfect: a week or so after the concert they're selling CD's, LP's, DVD's & BluRays, so quite clearly they don't want anyone to be able to get the proper sound "freely".

15. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Listening to... - after perhaps one year - this great favourite of mine.

[​IMG]

They just don't make records like this anymore. I just can't find the other box anywhere (of some great favourites I have two copies - and why not if I can get a spare copy for a tenner or two)...

16. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Now, side 2: "Im Tempo..."

What a relief. It was in another place, among the other spare copies. Had totally forgot that move. Now, let's continue with Im Tempo eines gemächlichen Ländlers... :)

17. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

After Mahler? After the fading last notes of the Ninth? It's either Sibelius' Seventh, or -- ehh, this seems to be one Giulini day...
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry, I'm not trying to renew the site statistics, one laptop just happens to be at hand.)

EasterEverywhere, Mik, ToddBD and 5 others like this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Mozart: Une soiree chez les Jacquin" performed by Gilles Thome and Ensemble 415 on Zig Zag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ToddBD and john greenwood like this.
  19. coopmv

The SQ was quite good off my local classical FM live broadcast. I could have recorded it on my cassette deck, which was connected to that stereo system. The conductor was Zubin Mehta, who has never done anything for me over the decades going back to the time when he conducted the NYPO ...

20. coopmv

I like the label, though not necessarily these works ...

21. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Toccatas from the following box, which just arrived yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

This was my first listen. Ordered it almost a month ago from the UK and it just arrived yesterday. Quite a varied program - very enjoyable. :)

23. coopmv

Highly virtuosic, note-perfect performance and good SQ with excellent piano tone. Recording was done at a small Lutheran Church in Haarlem and a Yamaha grand was used ...

24. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived two days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, Moonfish and 1 other person like this.
  25. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Hmm, any thoughts on Dutoit's recordings of Berlioz? Worthwhile?

A Belated Happy New Year to all of you!

[​IMG]

Mik, EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.