Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

They're releasing all the records on vinyl that are on Mercury records. All next year there is a release or two a month!

2. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Please forgive me as I am only a casual fan, but I didn't quickly find a thread to reference for my question. How has the mastering on the apparently released hi-res versions been? I seem to recall a lot of people not liking the Moving Pictures disc at all, so I haven't kept track of any others. If other releases that I don't have decent versions of (i.e. the earliest albums) sound pretty good, I may be interested in these upcoming Bluray discs.

3. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I understand that the stand-alone bluray releases will simply be the same as the DVD-A discs that were previously released in the Sector boxsets a few years back, but what of these new digital hi-res releases?

4. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Does anyone know where to buy the Highres Download of the rediscovered S/T album?

5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Rush 5.1 albums:

Fly By Night
    A Farewell To Kings
    Moving Pictures
    Signals
    Snakes and Arrows

6. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I don't think there was one specifically for that reissue, just the hi-res versions of the Sector reissues.

7. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

You have Test For Echo? thats the one I want!

8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Test For Echo was never officially released on vinyl. Neither was Different Stages.

9. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

We`re probably the last generation that is still "buying" music and the industry has to take advantage of this. The price of some of the remastered new releases are sometimes much too high...too bad.

10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

There is a limited version of a Test for Echo picture disc from Europe which is likely not pressed in any official capacity. Claims to be "promo only" but I suspect it is someone's attempt to cash in on the vinyl resurgence.

11. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I just became aware of this....and my question is regarding Amazon's claim that these new vinyl releases ALL feature remastering from the original master tapes:

" 2112 has been newly-remastered on 200-gram, heavyweight vinyl at legendary Abbey Road Studios using the Direct to Metal Mastering (DMM) audiophile copper plating process, all from original analogue masters."

I was under the impression that most of the early Rush master tapes were beyond repair - as in, can't even bake 'em. If that's the case, then won't these all be made from the most current digital masters? If I can get a vinyl release of Hemispheres made from a new tape remaster, I will be thrilled. If it sounds just like the CD from the Sector set, then I will pass.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Looking forward to some reviews on this vinyl, I am amazed how many times their stuff has been released on digital with mixed results....you would think a band with a somewhat science and technology bent (at least musically) would have this wired up a bit more tight.

thedudeabidz likes this.
  13. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Will these hi rez downloads be the same mastering as what's already available?

sound chaser likes this.
  14. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That would be my guess, but it's only a guess.

15. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

They leave that stuff to the "experts" now.

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Last year's reissue of the s/t debut album was spectacular, and the rest of these are being done by the same team, and will be pressed DMM at the same plant, so I'm psyched. Got 'em all preordered through Power Windows (Amazon doesn't have the rest up yet).

Less than a week to go on Fly By Night now. I can't wait!

Scooter59 and johnny q like this.
  17. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I don't have a source, but I recall reading the same in a Geddy interview around the time of the 2112 Blu-ray release. Alex was on Eddie Trunk's radio show around the same time, and when Eddie mentioned bonding with his child over the 5.1 mix of 2112 while reading the on-screen comic, Eddie said something like "you should release them all in surround", to which Alex replied that the master tapes for the majority of their output in the 70s and possibly the some of the 80s were either damaged beyond repair or lost by the studios in which they were recorded.

I hope that perhaps backups or EQ masters were discovered somewhere...who knows?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

A lot of info here:
    http://www.themasterdiskrecord.com/2011/11/andy-vandette-on-remastering-14-rush-albums/

oneway23 likes this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am really looking forward to the reviews once these start releasing. Right now my intention is to pre-order only the ones I don't have on vinyl or have a crappy pressing of and with that said, I will be limited to just 2112 and COS. However....if reviews start piling in that the new FBN blows away the coveted Gilbert Kong pressing....then it looks like I buy them all :)

bodicus likes this.
  20. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

GK Fly By Night is mega.

21. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

Thanks for the post - interesting article! That was written when the Sectors remastering was done. I still wonder what sources they used for the vinyl versions coming out. From that article, this was very telling:

"James: What was the condition of the masters?

Andy: Handling analog masters that are over 30 years old makes people nervous. (Laughs.) I cleaned the tape heads after every song to make sure tape shedding hadn’t even started. Indeed, some tapes didn’t sound as good as others — after all, they’ve been sitting on a shelf for however many years. In some cases the 192 kHz digital master tape copies from the Rush archive sounded better. I think those transfers would have been made about seven years ago."

That was written in 2011. I bet whatever was used for the Sectors masterings is exactly what is going to be used for the vinyl...which makes the claims on amazon a bit misleading.

22. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

So, we were sold 24/96 last year when they very easily could have sold us the 24/192 they've had since 2004, which they will be more than happy to sell us this year?
    Does that cover it?

erniebert likes this.
  23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Perhaps, perhaps not.

24. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I really hope this release doesn't suffer from bass overload like last years 'Rush" did.

25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Seeing this as released today, anyone get this yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.