Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bruckner - Symphony No. 9" from "Leonard Bernstein -The Symphony Edition" on Sony.

With the New York Philharmonic.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I listened to Bruno Walter's take on Bruckner's 7th yesterday.

This morning began with Lindberg and Dowland. Now Hogwood conducting early Haydn symphonies. (via Spotify)

Mik, ToddBD, bluemooze and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

If I may join in.....Now Playing. :)

I first heard the Tallis Missa Puer natus est on WQXR's 'Holiday Channel'. They have the channel up for a few weeks every year around Christmas. I think that it's due to come down tomorrow, January 5. In addition to their main over-the-air station, they have a couple of 'internet only' channels that you can listen to via the web or, as I do, via Wi-Fi radio. The Holiday Channel has been wonderful, offering a welcome respite from the other 'holiday' stations that pop up over the air that seem to have the same 12 songs on infinite repeat until they fall off of a cliff after December 25. As WQXR puts it, the Holiday Channel is "Less Santa and more Sancte". I like to slide out of Christmas the same way that I slide into it. :)

When they played it, it was in the wee hours and I was in just the right mood. It was one of those perfect moments when mood and music come together. I followed the link on their web site and bought the cd. It arrived yesterday. The other pieces on the cd by John Taverner, William Byrd and Robert White are just as wonderful.

image.jpg

Mik, ToddBD, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

At least three members at the CMC own this recording, myself included ... :righton:

Hawkman likes this.
  5. john greenwood

Currently listening to Abbado's Mahler 5th from the big box. Slowest opening of any I have heard, and the orchestra is a bit ragged. But I like it more than some of the other Mahler symphonies in the box. (Partly because I like the music a lot.)

bluemooze likes this.
  6. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - French Overture and French Suites Nos 1-3 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. john greenwood

Now listening to Scriabin's piano concerto in F Sharp Minor. New to me from the Decca Analog box. Ashkenazy and Maazel.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Mik and bluemooze like this.
  8. coopmv

Now playing CD30 - Handel Organ Concerto from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  9. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Schumann collection ...

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere, Mik, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  10. Hawkman

Do any of you have any of any of the Briliant Classics box sets?? I've been eyeing the Mozart set. It's under $200 which is much more within my budget than the Phillips set at $2,000. Or should I consider the individual Phillips 'complete' sets that break it down by Symphonies, Masses, etc.?

11. Hawkman

You know, the beautiful thing about this cd is that unless I read the booklet, I have no idea what they are singing. Which means that it will play just as well in the middle of summer as it does at Christmas. :)

ToddBD likes this.
  12. coopmv

On this second listen, I really appreciated how excellent the performance was ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's Philips, 1 l - it has nothing to do with the American label founded by Sun's Sam Phillips :) I keep wondering why so many Americans always confuse the two... The labels have nothing in common.

Hawkman likes this.
  14. coopmv

IIRC, I only have the JS Bach and the Chopin sets by BC. BC is often the cheaper way to get at essentially the same recordings by DG or Philips since the BC sets are recordings re-licensed from DG or Philips and perhaps some other European classical labels.

bluemooze and Hawkman like this.
  15. john greenwood

Listening to Colin Davis' Philips :) recording of Mozart's Zauberflote. I like the Bergman film so much I can't remember the last time I simply listened to the opera.

Mik, bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  16. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I have the big Tchaikovsky and Grieg boxes, along with many of their 1-5 disc releases. Brilliant's quality is usually very good - they do some of their own recordings but most of them are licensed from other record companies - including the majors and respected indies. Typically it's recordings that were well done but where there isn't sufficient demand for the label to re-release them on their own. Sound quality is usually quite good as well, although typically not audiophile grade. Unlike some other big box labels they aren't limited to pre-1962 recordings that are out of copyright.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. john greenwood

They can be licensed from quite a few sources. I have a set of the Mozart symphonies from Brilliant conducted by Jaap Ter Linden, and I'm not sure if they were ever issued by anyone else. Maybe J.A.W. knows, as it is a Dutch group. I can say I am unimpressed with the performances. As I recall the box set of piano concertos got worse reviews about a decade ago. I don't know for certain if these are the versions in the mega-box, but I would probably avoid it.

My suggestions would be to determine which genres of music most interest you and start with those. My personal opinion is that Mozart was at his best with the piano concerto. There are several budget boxes of those that are of high quality. I have Perahia and Anda. For the symphonies, please bear in mind that by almost any criteria, the first 20 or so are juvenalia. If you started with the last 6 (35-41 as there is no 37) you would have the best of them. I think Bohm gets the most votes here for non HIP performances. (My favorite is Szell, but I like Bohm.) Then add the last 10 string quartets, the 6 string quintets and the wind serenades and you've got a good start.

Edit - Krips is another favorite here for the symphonies. I actually don't own that.

Further Edit - I haven't mentioned his operas. Are you interested in that as well?

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've got the Beethoven set, iteration III. Lots of great recordings in that set. My understanding is that the Mozart and Bach sets are highly regarded but notably full of historically informed performances. If that works for you, recommended. The Philips set is very good, but not $2000 good. I really like the Piano Concertos with Brendel and Marriner/ASMF.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I know Jaap ter Linden's recordings of Mozart symphonies with the Mozart Akademie Amsterdam were only released by Brilliant Classics. Opinions at the time were mixed - and that's putting it mildly.

I'm not a Mozart fan and the only Mozart works I really appreciate are his later piano concertos (not the juvenalia) and the last 6 symphonies.

20. Hawkman

I stand corrected. I have a few CDs on the label. You would think that I would LOOK at the spelling. :)

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No problem, but it's a pet peeve of mine. Some people seem to think they're the same label.

Hawkman likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

No worries. For the record, I wasn't confused by your OP at all, Hawkman, and it appears three other members weren't confused by it either.

drh and Hawkman like this.
  23. Hawkman

Thank you for your responses and advice. As always, it is greatly appreciated.

24. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - French Suites Nos 4-6 and Italian Concerto from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Hawkman

The extent of my Mozart collection is the Criterion DVD of The Magic Flute, the Opus Arte DVD of The Marriage of Figaro, the Penguin Classics edition of Sir Colin Davis conducting the Requiem, the Black Dog Opera cd/book editions of Flute and Marriage and of course, the soundtrack to Amadeus. I hasten to add that soundtrack that I have came in the laserdisc and has the music in film order. In case that makes any kind of a difference. :) So, I'm pretty much open to any Mozart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.