Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Here's s

Piano Sonatas, Violin Sonatas - Lili Kraus and Szymon Goldberg

Piano Concertos - Anda or Perahia

Violin Concertos - Grumiaux

Wind Concertos - Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

Symphonies - Krips

Quintets - Grumiaux Trio, Gerecz and Lesueur

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    bluemooze likes this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

George P likes this.
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

4. john greenwood

FWIW - possibly the best known (if not the most often read) book on music from Mozart's era is Charles Rosen's "The Classical Style." For Mozart, Rosen focuses on the comic operas, concertos and string quintets.

bluemooze and Hawkman like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

You're welcome. In the interim, I have tidied up my post a bit to make it more accessible.

Hawkman likes this.
  6. Hawkman

Is there a book that runs down the Köchel numbers and/or gives a history of them?? I know that I can find some info on the Internet but I was curious if the were anything more solid.

I thank you yet again. :)

7. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

New to this thread so ....

I don't listen to a lot of classical music in general but I go through phases where I listen to it a lot in a short time. Somehow it seems to be confined to wintertime and especially during the early months of the year. Have no interest in vocal or opera, but do listen to orchestral & chamber music with a bit of choral music on the side. Periodwise I have found that my ears like music made post Brahms and I have an avid interest in music from the British isles.

My most recent purchase is below disc, gorgeous music with one of my favourite soloists (Tasmin Little) and a composer whose smaller orchestral works I already knew but this is my first exposure to these three concertos. All three of them are rhapsodic in nature and are really lovely. Sound of this particular album is, as far as I can tell with my limited knowledge of hi-res audio / playback through my SACD 2.0 player , exemplary (for the tech geeks: recorded in DSD, 5.0 channel surround and stereo, hybrid SACD).

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and john greenwood like this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The piano tone of every disc in this box I have listened to so far is beautiful and Ivo Janssen made all the recordings on a Yamaha Grand. Is the use of a Yamaha Grand instead of a Steinway Grand very unusual in a piano recording?

bluemooze likes this.
  9. john greenwood

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Köchel_catalogue

Is that enough? Scanning the list, the lowest number that I associate with a mature work is 183/173dB, which is his symphony No. 25.

Hawkman likes this.
  10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd say that right after the Operas—Mozart was crazy good at opera—fall the piano concerti, if not all, certainly the stretch from 14-27. Really like Perhaia/ECO set on Sony but for some reason like the interplay of Neville Marriner/ASMF and Alfred Brendel more. The Krips/Concertgebouw Symphony series is a must have as well. The latter two recordings are in boxes from Philips. And if you want Don Giovanni I recall the Colin Davis/Orchestra of the Royal Opera House/Ingvar Wixell/Mirella Freni recording on Philips being a good bet.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Mik, John S, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Just the Quintet today. This is quite an intense performance with excellent sound.

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I like the Perahia/ECO set very much, but, like you, I like the Brendel/Marriner/ASMF set more, to my ears there's a bit more cohesion (for want of a better term). The incomplete later Brendel cycle with Mackerras/SCO is also excellent. I recently listened to András Schiff with Sándor Végh/Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg again, but was disappointed; the playing is excellent, but I found it too detached, a tad cold even. I have several other performances, mostly in the "romantic" vein, and one HIP set, the Malcolm Bilson/Gardiner/EBS box, but I can't get used to the sound of the fortepiano...

As for the later symphonies, I am now so used to HIP performances that "romantic" old-school versions like the Krips or the Böhm have less appeal for me.

Mik, john greenwood and Robin L like this.
  13. john greenwood

Don't overlook his work for winds though. No composer in history wrote as well as Mozart for winds.

Mik, George P, Hawkman and 1 other person like this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

IIRC, the sound track of the movie Amadeus was performed by the ASMIF with Neville Marriner. I still have the movie on VHS ... LOL

Hawkman likes this.
  15. Hawkman

I was looking at that right after I posted my question. :)

Actually, in my own stumbling way, I was looking for something like this or the actual catalog itself.

john greenwood likes this.
  16. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…something seems just right about listening to this music while hunkering down in -10 degree wind chills. My pressing is a London Jubilee.
    [​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and Hawkman like this.
  17. Hawkman

I STILL have my special edition laserdisc with the soundtrack, 12x12 book on Mozart and a copy of the play. It's a great set.

Of course I bought the blu-ray too. :)

THIS thread is starting to cost me more than the other threads 'outside'. But it is so much more satisfying. :)

Mik, bluemooze, George P and 2 others like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Not only do I have many Philips recordings, I have a Philips CD player & maybe even a couple of Philips light bulbs.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. john greenwood

Mackerras also recorded the later symphonies for Linn on SACD. The British press loves them. I have them, but may have only given them a single listen to date. They used to be competitively priced, but I haven't checked recently.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mackerras recorded them earlier with the Prague Chamber Orchestra for Telarc; opinions were mixed. I've not heard his later Linn recordings. He died in 2010, so unfortunately there won't be any more.

21. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Interesting…I really enjoy HIP performances up through, say, the early Classical "sturm und drang" period, 1760's and '70's. After that, I'm a little less "hip" with that approach, mostly because that type of sound seems sort of out of place without basso continuo IMO, though I can see and hear the merit in them. I really enjoy Bohm's late Mozart symphonies, and Klemperer's late Mozarts are divine…to me anyway. And yes, the pun was intended :D

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Telarc set suffered from mastering that was too low in level, resolution was lost. The sound give one the impression that the performances are colorless.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That used to be my favorite version. I find the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra creeping closer to hip-ness without tipping over:

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the "romantic" performances, like the Szell, Walter and Klemperer, but on the whole I prefer the better HIP versions, like the Gardiner, Pinnock, Hogwood and Brüggen.

25. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Certainly…and I find very little I can harp on with the likes of Gardiner, Pinnock and Hogwood at the helm of their ensembles in this music (or anyone else's for that matter). All fantastic renderings and musical approaches. I almost can't listen to any Bach, Handel, etc. that is not HIP…the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields excepted, of course :D

bluemooze, john greenwood and J.A.W. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.